Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so recently I have been looking for a boost contoller because right now, I'm running minimal boost using a small wastegate spring for boost control. Well I was talking to my friend about getting one and he jokingly asked me if I was getting a fuzzy logic one. I asked him what the hell he was talking about and why he was laughing, he said it required a 5th gear pull for like a minute for the controller to learn the car. I had no idea what he was talking about, and it sounded retarded. I asked why you couldn't just do it on a dyno, but he was saying that it had to take wind and such into account. That sounded even more retarded.

Anyway, so I did some looking, it seems like a fuzzy logic boost contoller just basically can learn your cars settings, however, from what I read, you just need to do about half a dozen 3rd gear pulls, on the street or dyno for the controller to learn. They can learn the characteristics of your turbo and are supposed to be able to build boost faster?

My question is this, can anyone give me a better definition of what a fuzzy logic boost controller is? Also, which boost contollers out there are fuzzy logic? I was reading something and it said the Greddy Profec A was fuzzy logic, which I'm pretty sure is an older, now outdated boost contoller?

Thanks

P.S. - I put this in here for the NA-T guys since they are very knowledgable and helpful. I was sure if I put this in the MKIV section the TT and APU guys probably would have flamed me, but if a mod feels like it really shouldn't belong here, they can move it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Old school Greddy profec A works great if properly programed. I mostly requires just one pull in 3rd or 4th. I prefer 4th.

·
StrokerClub Member
550 Posts
Fuzzy Logic is a term many use referring to electronic boost controllers.
Fuzzy Logic it self is is a problem-solving control system methodology.
I have been using Greddy's Profec EO-1. It can set your boost levels automaticlly by 2 or 3 3rd gear pulls. The electronic controllers offer quite a few other functions that are usefull.
Hope this helps.

gadgetSC-t

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the E0-1 is a fuzzy logic controller? So my understanding is, instead of setting the boost, it determines itself what boost you should be running based on the cars reactions and such?

·
StrokerClub Member
550 Posts
btm7687 said:
So the E0-1 is a fuzzy logic controller? So my understanding is, instead of setting the boost, it determines itself what boost you should be running based on the cars reactions and such?
No, it does not operate as you described. It has a Manual mode which allows you to set the boost by adjustingthe duty cycle of the boost solinoid.
The Auto mode allows you to have the boost controller to setup the boost levels selected by you, in addition to options like selecting boost by rpm, compensating for boost dropping off at higher rpms or boost creep. There are a few other options like logging of boost, rpm and another input with an input cable.

Again...the Fuzzy Logic is just a reference to electronic or microprocessor control.

gadgetSC-t

1 - 5 of 5 Posts