Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a G-force ECU the only option we have to raise the rev limiter? What options does the full G-force ECU have that the 1/2 size G-force doesn't have? Which is recommended if you have stock turbos, a single turbo? Where can I buy one? Finally, I raise the stock rev limiter do i need to upgrade any other engine internals?

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
You can get Toyomoto to just increase the rev limiter, and not mess with the fuel map (you can also get gforce to do this for about $750 or so). As far as internals, I would get springs and retainers if I were to rev higher, just for added safety, but then again, there are lots of ppl running higher revs with stock springs/retainers with no problems...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Houston -

I'm running a G-Force with a few options: I have the boost limiter removed (basically reproduces the functionality of a BCC), the top limiter is removed, and the most important thing for me, the top rev limiter has been moved up to 7800RPM.

Honestly, it's pretty poor bang-for-the-buck, but didn't know of alternative at the time I needed it - I bet the Toyomoto upgrade is cheaper. I did not choose to change the timing/fuel maps - though now my ECU has a socketed PROM so I can easily upgrade to a different program.

The *only* reason I upgraded the rev limit was to provide more headroom in my (optimal) powerband which is now pushed to about 5K - I don't know how advantageous it would really be on a stock twin car. FWIW, I drive mine way into the 7800RPM range pretty hard and my valvetrain has been fine so far (though the car is only driven ~1 day a week...)

FYI, you an get a complete valvetrain upgrade using Ferrea components (spring, retainers, etc.) for about $1200-1300 that would handle a 8K redline with much more tolerance that the OEM parts.

Seeya -

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me say that I am just getting info for when I decide to put a single on the car. I'm not interested in raising the limiter on stock twins.

How much does the Toyomoto unit cost or do I have to send them the ECU? Also, I am assuming that either Toyomoto or G-force can also change my shift points since I have an Auto? I really don't plan on messing with the fuel maps so Toyomoto would probably be a better option.

Any other ideas ot opinions?

·
Registered
211 Posts
high stall torque convertor without raising rev limit

Supreme,

Do you have any problems with the high stall and not raising the rev limit? I heard from several sources that I need to raise my rev in order to use a high stall.

Thanks,
Long

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: high stall torque convertor without raising rev limit

supratt320 said:
Supreme,

Do you have any problems with the high stall and not raising the rev limit? I heard from several sources that I need to raise my rev in order to use a high stall.

Thanks,
Long
No problems at all. I do not know how the high stall would present a problem up near the limiter nor have I ever experienced a problem. What is the reasoning these "sources" are giving for such problems?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Re: high stall torque convertor without raising rev limit

Supreme said:

No problems at all. I do not know how the high stall would present a problem up near the limiter nor have I ever experienced a problem. What is the reasoning these "sources" are giving for such problems?
The stock rev limiter is 6800 rpm. With a high stall converter, my car shifts at 7500 rpm. Without the rev limiter raise, I would be bouncing off the rev limiter when ever I went full throttle. If you are running lower boost levels (under 19 psi) you might get away with the stock limiter. The more boost you run, the higher the RPMs the trans will want to shift at. The 8 and 9 second automatics that are running 35psi+ shift as high as 8500 rpm, and some even higher than that.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: high stall torque convertor without raising rev limit

supratt96 said:

The stock rev limiter is 6800 rpm. With a high stall converter, my car shifts at 7500 rpm. Without the rev limiter raise, I would be bouncing off the rev limiter when ever I went full throttle. If you are running lower boost levels (under 19 psi) you might get away with the stock limiter. The more boost you run, the higher the RPMs the trans will want to shift at. The 8 and 9 second automatics that are running 35psi+ shift as high as 8500 rpm, and some even higher than that.
I run 18psi and the only time I hit the rev limiter was racing on the highway at the top of 3rd and forgetting to turn the O/D back on. I have no problems at BPU+++ with hitting the rev limiter at WOT. However, obviously this will be a problem when I put a single on the car. So what unit do I need to get to raise the rev limiter and raise my shift points up into the high 7000rpm range? Do you have a G-force? In addition to that, have you upgraded any engine internals to withstand the higher revs more reliably?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: high stall torque convertor without raising rev limit

Supreme said:

I run 18psi and the only time I hit the rev limiter was racing on the highway at the top of 3rd and forgetting to turn the O/D back on. I have no problems at BPU+++ with hitting the rev limiter at WOT. However, obviously this will be a problem when I put a single on the car. So what unit do I need to get to raise the rev limiter and raise my shift points up into the high 7000rpm range? Do you have a G-force? In addition to that, have you upgraded any engine internals to withstand the higher revs more reliably?
I do have a G-Force and my rev limiter is set at 8000 rpm. Although the stock internals can handle this with no problem, frequent runs at that rpm may damage accessories like alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor, etc.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is your Auto shifting at 8000rpm or is that simply the limiter. Where is your shift point set at?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts