Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got her put together. ~1yr due to this crazy world of parts shortages.
1283whp/865tq @31psi on Smiley Autowerk's Dynocom hub dyno.

Incredibly impressed with the results. We went in expecting to need 40psi+ to crack the 1200whp goal, based on the last setup.
But boy were we wrong..

Some quick relevant specs:
3.0 GTE VVTI Built by Powerdynamix in Dallas,Tx
9:1 CR

Bottom:
GTE crank
BC Pro-H 625 rods
Induction Performance custom Diamond pistons(1600hp+ spec).
PHR billet main caps

Top:
Brand new GTE-VVTi head from Toyota.
Fire ringed w/copper gasket
CNC Ported & built by Powerdynamix
Tomei 280 Pro cams
Ferrea valvetrain
Ferrea comp plus valves, stock size

Turbo:
G42-1450 1.28
BPA Twinscroll manifold
Sleeper Designs RMR style intake
ETS 4" IC
Bosch/Porsche 82mm DBW TB

Tune:
Cameron Bailey of Smiley Autowerks

Last 2 pulls: https://photos.app.goo.gl/p3dQRgJNpg9mHS4E9
graph: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tp9Uw4xnXUaNMC2L6

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice results, nice to see the new garrett's doing well. How are you finding the tomei 280 cams, any major differences from previous setup?
Thanks. Coming from the BC 276, I haven't noticed a major difference. Although on the graph, the torque curve is holding better to redline.
As far as the cam itself, based on what my builder told me, it's drastically different. The centerline of the cam was changed, so we had to go with a custom valvetrain setup to make it work. The spring & bucket setup that came in the kit was only rated for 25psi & 7500rpm at most.

·
Super Moderator
12,385 Posts
Awesome results from a G42! Precious little in the way of data with the modern G-series being really pushed on 2JZ's. Nudging toward 1300whp is certainly getting it done! :cool:

I'm very intrigued by the Tomei Procam setup though - the bespoke Tomei valvetrain kit that matches those reduced base circles is only good to 25psi & 7500rpm? What the crap! LOL

What exactly did you guys do to make the valvetrain work?

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
Never seen more power with less boost. Almost 1300 whp at 31 psi is very impressive 👏.

Ken.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome results from a G42! Precious little in the way of data with the modern G-series being really pushed on 2JZ's. Nudging toward 1300whp is certainly getting it done! :cool:

I'm very intrigued by the Tomei Procam setup though - the bespoke Tomei valvetrain kit that matches those reduced base circles is only good to 25psi & 7500rpm? What the crap! LOL

What exactly did you guys do to make the valvetrain work?
You'd have to ask my machinist/builder, Jeff Tsai. He did note that it was a PITA and he charged me as such lol.
They weren't explicitly rated for 25psi & 7500rpm. But he estimated that after he placed the springs in his compression press thing.
He said he wouldn't trust them with anymore than that.

Never seen more power with less boost. Almost 1300 whp at 31 psi is very impressive 👏.
Ken.
Thanks. It's almost too impressive for me to believe lol. But we'll know for sure once I get some draggy times on the street.

·
Super Moderator
12,385 Posts
You'd have to ask my machinist/builder, Jeff Tsai. He did note that it was a PITA and he charged me as such lol.
They weren't explicitly rated for 25psi & 7500rpm. But he estimated that after he placed the springs in his compression press thing.
He said he wouldn't trust them with anymore than that.

Thanks. It's almost too impressive for me to believe lol. But we'll know for sure once I get some draggy times on the street.
Gotcha. I've seen his name plenty of times before in relation to builds like this, might be time for me to reach out and bother him. Lol.
Since they debuted, I've been fascinated by the Tomei Procams reduced base circle. That's such a huge advantage for some crazy lift numbers without risking coil bind or needing to machine the cyl head, but I'm curious about the ramp rates and how stable that Tomei shim-under-bucket valvetrain kit to match those cams would really perform.

But if Jeff Tsai wasn't impressed with the Tomei stuff, I'd love to see how he solved those problems!

Ken.
No kidding - that speaks to the quality of that headwork and camshaft package as much as it does to the effectiveness of that turbo!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice numbers considering the compressor map on the Garrett turbos. Seems people are getting more out of these G series turbos then the maps would lead you to believe.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,478 Posts
What did they change on the 1283 run that gave all that extra torque down low? I love looking at these graphs because I'm all about under-the-curve power. Crazy that cars nowadays are making 300 FT TQ at 4k rpm with massive turbos! I couldn't even do that with my PT67 back in the day. CR and VVTI is a game changer IMO for down-low drivability on big or even small turbos.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What did they change on the 1283 run that gave all that extra torque down low? I love looking at these graphs because I'm all about under-the-curve power. Crazy that cars nowadays are making 300 FT TQ at 4k rpm with massive turbos! I couldn't even do that with my PT67 back in the day. CR and VVTI is a game changer IMO for down-low drivability on big or even small turbos.
If I had to guess, I'd say a combination of the turbo coming into its efficiency range and additional timing.
Yup it is a nice benefit. Although for my uses it doesn't really matter. The car only comes out for Mexico action & roll racing.
So I never really get to experience the drivability advantages.

lol also, interesting that an 79mm turbo is considered "massive" by many in here. In TX it's just a medium sized Garrett.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts