Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bob Lutz is back, and after what seems like five minutes into his job as GM's new marketing kingpin, he's doing what he does best: making headlines. Rest assured that this is a good thing, as El Generalissimo Roberto Maximo told Automobile Magazine that yes, the Pontiac G8 will live on in the United States as the Chevy Caprice. So much for Fritz "I'm not a fan of rebadging" Henderson's statement to the contrary a couple of weeks ago.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet. It is kind of too good to waste," Lutz told the mag. As for the G8 being "too good to waste": Amen to that, Bob. This also makes us wonder if law enforcement-grade models will be part of the deal with Holden to continue production. Chevy Caprice police cars? That's got a very familiar ring to it. The next question is whether a U.S. Caprice would mimic the Middle East-market Caprice (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-chevrolet-caprice-miiddle-east-market/2138117/), which is based on the long-wheelbase Holden Caprice/Statesman, or whether it will simply be a Chevy-badged version of the standard-wheelbase Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8/Chevrolet Lumina. Frankly, as long as there's ultimately a Caprice SS that is identical to the Pontiac G8 GXP in every critical way, we don't care.

In his conversation with Automobile, Lutz also essentially confirms that next year's Cadillac CTS coupe will be joined by a V-series variant, saying that the CTS-V coupe was the car that had most of the Presidential Task Force members' tongues wagging during the product-pipeline tour they were given by GM. Lutz even hints that a CTS-V wagon is not completely out of the question. (We'll take the wagon in brown, with the stick, Bob.)

On the bad news side, in a separate blog post, Automobile reports that Lutz kind of throws dirt on the idea of an LSA-powered Camaro Z28 (though he doesn't specifically state that the program's toast). He says that for "mainstream" sports models like the Camaro, powerful sixes (like the one in the Camaro LS and LT) and turbo fours (like the one used in the now-dead Cobalt SS, HHR SS and Solstice GXP) are more indicitive of the automaker's future direction in that regard. Hmmm. Well then, how about bolting a blower to the direct-injected V6?

Welcome back, Bob. This sounds like it could get pretty fun.

· Premium Member
5,433 Posts
No V8 for the Camaro is dumb.
You obviously didn't pay attention to the article or what GM is doing. They still have the LS3 powered SS. There was talk of having a Z28 model which would be a premium to the SS as it was in the old days and he is talking about squashing that as the DI V6's are doing well.

Gm would be absolutely stupid to toss the V8 altogether from the Camaro.

· Registered
3,294 Posts
I am happy to see this. I am a big fan of the G8.
Chevy's malibu looks pretty damn good for a domestic no-fun car, so maybe they won't ruin the looks of the G8 (if they alter it much at all).

· King of the Jungle
2,330 Posts
You obviously didn't pay attention to the article or what GM is doing. They still have the LS3 powered SS. There was talk of having a Z28 model which would be a premium to the SS as it was in the old days and he is talking about squashing that as the DI V6's are doing well.

Gm would be absolutely stupid to toss the V8 altogether from the Camaro.
The foreshadowing in his statement about the future direction of GM leads me to believe that the V8 will be eliminated completely. With mounting environmental pressures from the government we'll probably see this shift over the next 10 years. Sad :(

· Registered
12,057 Posts
The foreshadowing in his statement about the future direction of GM leads me to believe that the V8 will be eliminated completely. With mounting environmental pressures from the government we'll probably see this shift over the next 10 years. Sad :(
I'm not sure where you're getting the "foreshadowing" from, but, you're wrong. GM is trimming up the different packages they sell for each car/truck line. As far as the Camaro goes, you either buy the V6 with options or the V8 with options. Pretty simple. the Z/28 is one less badge to worry about. It would be marketing suicide to sell it with no V8 option. And if they were to start selling trucks with no V8's, well, stick a fork in them now.

I'm so happy the G8 will stay. I just I could see more GXP G8's. Such a rare sight.

BTW, have any of you gone to the Camaro site? Some of the options are fantastic for factory stuff. I'm usually not too hyped on GM's options, but, I can't ignore what they have for the Camaro.

What I made..

http://microsite.chevrolet.com/allnewcamaro/?evar2=camaro_model_hp_mast#camaro=build-your-own

· Who's the Master?!
6,272 Posts
I'm not sure where you're getting the "foreshadowing" from, but, you're wrong. GM is trimming up the different packages they sell for each car/truck line. As far as the Camaro goes, you either buy the V6 with options or the V8 with options. Pretty simple. the Z/28 is one less badge to worry about. It would be marketing suicide to sell it with no V8 option. And if they were to start selling trucks with no V8's, well, stick a fork in them now.

I'm so happy the G8 will stay. I just I could see more GXP G8's. Such a rare sight.

BTW, have any of you gone to the Camaro site? Some of the options are fantastic for factory stuff. I'm usually not too hyped on GM's options, but, I can't ignore what they have for the Camaro.

What I made..

http://microsite.chevrolet.com/allnewcamaro/?evar2=camaro_model_hp_mast#camaro=build-your-own
Yeah dude, the Camaro I built was very similar, black with the orange stripes. I didn't select those wheels or the body kit. I can just imagine how mean it would look slammed over some Forgelines. :wackit:

Glad the G8 will stay. I hope it will look similar to the current car.

· !black
10,248 Posts
G8 is a great car, no doubt about it.

The 3.6 DI alloytec motor is also a fantastic piece of work -- with ford brining their ecoboost engines out next year, GM will probably follow suit soon w/ a turbo version.

· Registered
18,343 Posts
My dad owned several Caprices and Impalas back in the day (from the 60's to early 80's_ so I am excited to hear the news. Heck I may be more likely to own one as a Caprice than a G8 because of it (as long as they don't mess it up). Kudos to GM for not killing the G8/Caprice!

On a somwhat "related" not I read that Chryslet is keeping the Viper business.

· Track rat
214 Posts
Glad it'll be a chevy.

I think over in the Middle East they are Caprice's anyhow.

I'm glad that the camaro isn't gonna spawn a bunch of bastard children anymore than all the tuner shops already put out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.