Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course i was on E. Luckily I has the area opened up so I could change out my radio antenna, and I was able to reach in there and get it open. Nothing in the cygnus manual on adjusting the cable. Anyone know if its adjustable, or do I need a new cable or ?

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
Are you sure its the cable? There is suposed to be a small spring that is wound around the gas door hinge. If its missing then the door wont swing open on its own when the level is pulled. Ive seen alot of a70's with that spring missing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, is there an adjustment at the floor or at the filler cap end, is the cable still available, or are we just screwed. I may just make a short cable release and operate it from the rear access plastic door on that side. Or unhook it and use a magnetic latch to hold it shut. It's not like that "locked" door is gonna keep your gas in your tank-you just will be looking for a new door to have to match paint on when it's ripped open by some a-hole!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, here's the fix

One way is to take off the nut in the gas door area on the release mechanism, reach up in the inside and pull it out. Put two or three washers on it BEFORE you put it back thru the hole. This will back it out a little, enough to make up for the cable stretch. I guess you could do it the easy way and shorten the length of the retaining pin by cutting or filing. Don't forget there's a tank of gas right there!<G>
The washer method worked on my '89.

·
Registered
154 Posts
One way is to take off the nut in the gas door area on the release mechanism, reach up in the inside and pull it out. Put two or three washers on it BEFORE you put it back thru the hole. This will back it out a little, enough to make up for the cable stretch. I guess you could do it the easy way and shorten the length of the retaining pin by cutting or filing. Don't forget there's a tank of gas right there!<G>
The washer method worked on my '89.
very well said had the same option.

·
Registered
503 Posts
yeah mines a bitch too... I have to pull it and hold it for a few seconds untill I hear it pop open lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts