Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well about a week ago i put a new fuel system in my car. I put twin walbros in tank with a new hanger. Now my gas gauge is about 1/2 tank off. It will stay on full for a very long time then start to go down. The low fuel light comes on when it says theres 1/2 tank left. Any ideas?

thanks,
chris

·
Banned
397 Posts
house_of_senate said:
Well about a week ago i put a new fuel system in my car. I put twin walbros in tank with a new hanger. Now my gas gauge is about 1/2 tank off. It will stay on full for a very long time then start to go down. The low fuel light comes on when it says theres 1/2 tank left. Any ideas?

thanks,
chris
Sometimes the floater will get stuck with another pump in the tank. Either disregard the gauge or you have to open it up and see if the floater is stuck. Mine would do it all the time until I just gave up. My gauge reads accurate until about 1/4 a tank, where it continues to stay until you run out of gas :-(

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I was reading somewhere that you needed to wrap the two pumps with some special metal coated wrap. Did you use that, could it have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i did not wrap my pumps with anything. I think ill take the hanger and everything out later tonight and take a look.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Lance J said:
I was reading somewhere that you needed to wrap the two pumps with some special metal coated wrap. Did you use that, could it have anything to do with it?
I think that has to do with the pumps interfering with each other, because of how close the pumps are to each other and the coil inside the pump motor creating a magnetic field and setting off the phase of the other pump.

·
TC Motorsports
404 Posts
0wned said:
I think that has to do with the pumps interfering with each other, because of how close the pumps are to each other and the coil inside the pump motor creating a magnetic field and setting off the phase of the other pump.

Exactly....It is your floater.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
It sounds like your new pumps are causing the problem however, a while back my gas gauge would act the same way you described and I am on stock fuel (stock everything really). I think my problem was a bad solder joint (or some electrical connection) in the gauge cluster becuase if I pushed fairly hard on the cluster beside the gauge, the needle to would start to move down slowly towards the "real" level when it was stuck reading a high level. If removed the pressure, the needle would stop moving. My problem lasted about a month then, lucky for me, it magically went away and I didn't have to tear anything apart to try and find the culprit.

·
NA-T T61
1,988 Posts
I'm sure that you got the hanger stuck somewhere in the tank.. Pull the pumps out and try and go in easier with it..

I did the same with a long time ago, and i had to redo it like 5 times until i FINALLY fixed it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts