Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took out my gas tank today to install a new Walbro pump and Toyota fuel filter (PITA). I had a thought.... maybe instead of re-connecting the charcoal canister line on the tank when reinstalling the tank (venting all the way back to the engine) I could do something else. FYI - I have the charcoal canister removed and capped in engine bay and I do run a vented gas cap.

Pic of the charcoal canister line for reference ( thanks John hehe ) http://www.jblmk3.com/15937380.jpg

IDEAS:
- Just do not re-connect it and let it vent right by the LSD
- Re-attach the entire line onto the gas tank 90 degrees from stock and let it vent by the passenger rear quarter panel under the filler neck (may have to bend it a bit).
- CLOSE and remove most of the line totally on the gas tank (I'm capping in engine, same thing?)
- For better venting regardless with a vented gas cap - drill a tiny hole in the TWO flappers on the filler neck tube ( one by top (silver), one at the base of the filler neck IN the gas tank (orange) ).

Do I have any good ideas here? I hope that makes sense... Any input is appreciated.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
uh, i didnt put my canister back but i still ran the line to my tb through the thermo vsv

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm specifically talking about a "trick" here AT/ON the gas tank where it all starts... There is a hole on top of the gas tank with a short hard line about 1 foot long in the shape of an "L" \ that connects and vents all the way up to the charcoal canister in the engine bay..... http://www.jblmk3.com/15937380.jpg - "to charcoal canister"

Let me try again, as short and sweet as possible ----

1. Why cap off a venting line that runs 10' to the engine bay when you can cap it off AT or ON the gas tank? (obviously must use a venting gas cap and maybe add holes in the filler neck is a must here to release pressure).

2. For those who do vent it in the engine bay and use an extra hose to route fumes down under the car (away from hot engine bay) why not just vent it right out AT the gas tank? This appears to be possible by rotating the venting line ON the gas tank 90 degrees and only using that metal line to vent out under the filler neck...

Maybe that makes more sense? :)

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Well, no matter which way u do it, it's all the same effect (Venting to atmosphere)

Capped lines + Vented gas cap = Vents through gas cap to atmosphere (What I did :))
Open lines + Non-vented gas cap = Vents through engine bay to atmosphere
Open Lines into fender + Non-vented gas cap = Vents through fender to atmosphere
Capped lines from gas tank + Vented gas cap = Vents through gas cap, get rid of a few lines.
Open lines from gas tank + Non-vented gas cap = Vents from gas tank to atmosphere.

It's all pretty much the same effect, so there's really no reason to, besides getting rid of a few tiny lines and maybe dropping 1lb or so (No clue on the weight obviously but it can't be much). You had a good idea and thought, I'll give u that :bigthumb:

But when u get down to it, it all does the same thing. Most people just prefer it to vent from the outside of the car so they don't smell it. IE capped lines and vented gas cap or routed to fender/from gas tank. :dunno:

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Makes sense. That would work, i understand now. Twigger, the only bad thing about the charc canisters is that they get in the way sometimes, and also they are getting to be so old that they don't do much good any way since they're so dirty.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
suprab808 - it's the big black canister inbetween the passenger firewall and strut tower - you can't miss it. Maybe you don't have one in Japan?

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
My charcoal canister was somehow covering the whole passenger side fender in black stuff. Wasn't PS fluid, wasn't oil, something was dripping/leaking/spraying out of the bottom of the canister and covered my whole fender. I removed it because it was dirtying my engine.

-Craig :freak:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and to bring this back to the topic of the thread.... :)

I am going to cap off my charcoal canister line AT the gas tank (cansiter removed) :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts