Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ladys and gentlemen, Im about to tear down my head and find my oil leak. I am thinking about replacing every gasket from the HG up. I was looking for some gaskets and found this on HPF. Has anyone used this manufacturer for anything? Can i get somebodys opinion and then maybe a suggestion on what would be better?

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/par...ports/Engine/Engine_Gasket_Sets/Complete/9634

Thanks,

trey

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If not going with a mhg your best bet is oem.

It's much better to spend the extra up front and have piece of mind.

And as someone in the middle of a bhg job, plan on at least $600 to do it right with proper gaskets, 3 oil changes, misc tools/supplies, extras that you didn't forsee...

For example I'm stuck right now because the pcv valve spring tool sux for reinstall on the comp cams springs. Can't pop the keepers in. :(

·
Registered
998 Posts
so your not gonna do a MHG?? Id get this

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-new7menginegasketset.php

cheaper and comes with damn near everything for when you DO do a rebuild..cuz..you will..eventually haha Id also recomend torquing down the OEM HG more then 50lbs too. Or you could do it right this time around and get a MHG and save you the trouble later...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to do a MHG but i wasn't sure what i would do if my head is slightly warpd. You know what i mean? I want that peace of mind with the MHG and don't mind spending the cash for it and the parts needed. Plus im not sure what size HG to get anyway, so im just looking for some different choices.

·
Registered
998 Posts
okay well you have to get the top of your block resurfaced and the head resurfaced. The shop will tell you how much they took off from both. A stock HG is 1.2mm. So you take the amout they took off the head and block and add it to 1.2mm. You want to try and keep the distance as close as possible to stock compression but could be hard cuz they dont really make and infinite number of werid sized HGs. If the head is warp just buy a new one lol or sometime the shop to fix it slightly. But if its warped and your plannin for big power, get a new one.

There are TONS of threads and a few stickys in the FAQ section and TECH section on how to do this, just look it up :p GL!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know, i was just asking, suprised i didn't get flammed yet but ive done the reading and everybody doesn't have the exact same problem so i appreciate your responses.

·
Registered
998 Posts
ya im shocked you havnt either to be honest..im sure it will come eventually but ohwell.

But basicly you'll need the gasket set cuz you might as well replace every gasket you have on the block while its out, and you need to buy the MHG.

Id also recomend gettin the block honed of even bored if its a high mileage motor.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
o yea its got about 160xxx on the odom... but ima just pull the head off and replace all the gaskets from the hg up ya know.? But she runs good, idles fine accells fine, and whatnot. Just need to find out if my oil leak is. But who knows, i might just take the whole thing out. Depends on what i find or fuck up... haha

·
Registered
998 Posts
very true haha but im not 100% possitive on this but im not sure if you can use a MHG without resurfacing the block..someone else will have to confirm that. I think you can use it without the resurface..but i think its better if you do.

But if your only doin HG up, i think you only need a HG and valve cover gaskets which is prolly your oil leak. Do you have oil in spark plugs? if so then its the valve covers.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i don't think its a good idea to go MHG without a resurface. And i Will be doing the HG also, i meant HG and up. intake, exhaust, valve cover, egr plate, cam seals maybe, water outlet housing, turbo, is what i found so far.. ima try and leave everything in the head as is unless i decide to put larger cams and just rebuild the head.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Oem hg is fine, just use arp hardware and torque to 75 pounds. Do not do a mhg without having both the block and the head surfaced.

You can get a gasket kit if you want and get a Toyota hg to go with it.
You'll need:
Egr cooler gasket
Upper/lower intake man
Exhaust man / turbo to man / turbo to downpipe
Turbo oil line gasket
Injector orings(if they've never been done they're a must)
Hg
Head to water neck(where the sensors/thermostat are)
Stem seals
Cps oring/Cps cover gasket
Dipstick tube oring
Valve cover gaskets
3rd valve cover gasket(or napa 704-1076 x4)
I think that covers it unless you have broken hoses or anything.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7msiliconeaccordianhose.php.
This is what you want for ct & stock/lex afm.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oem hg is fine, just use arp hardware and torque to 75 pounds. Do not do a mhg without having both the block and the head surfaced
This. Do not, whatever you do, do NOT put a mhg in without resurfacing the head and block. It WILL result in a bhg.

·
Registered
998 Posts
although he did say he wanted the peace of mind of a MHG..

OP, what is it you exactly want? Are you plannin on big power out the car? Or just a DD? or some slight tweakin for a fun DD? or what?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts