Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys... I got a problem.. don't know if its a big one or not, but I think it's best if I ask you guys...

I just got a recent stereo system installed, and I also replaced the battery + alternator...

I have a high output alternator going at 180amp idle... The car starts and runs fine... but the gauge fuse keeps blowing... Once the gauge fuse blows, the alternator no longer charges the battery... and the car will only run on the battery... I put in a new 10 amp fuse into the gauge fuse location, and everything is fine... till it blows again!

Do you guys have any idea on what's going on?

Quick specs...
Alternator - 180 AMP Idle - 209 AMP Hot
Battery - KHC2000 (more power then the red top + yellow top combined..)
RMS Power - Running close to 3000 watts rms...

/shrug... i got a big headache from this... I hope someone here can help me out!

btw.. the check engine light is on....

who can i take to let check this out? etc... any advice will be helpful!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
d0cktor said:
u need a bigger amp fuse! :D if it keeps blowing.. that means its too small!
doh! why the hell didn't I think of that?!

What amp fuse should I be getting with the current specs I just told you? and is amp fuse the same as gauge fuse? i'm 100% newbie at this... if you got AIM ... LMK! we can talk faster!

·
Registered
480 Posts
i tried to message u the other day as well, did you upgrade the wires going to ur battery? and alternator? to like smaller gauge wiring?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
d0cktor said:
i tried to message u the other day as well, did you upgrade the wires going to ur battery? and alternator? to like smaller gauge wiring?
no i didnt upgrade the wires =( do u think thats the problem?

i just went out and bought a shit load of 10 amp fuses... and did some testing..

I can listen to music all day in front of my house as long as the car is in park... when I change gears to drive or etc... the gauge fuse will blow again...

so I said wtf... and turned off the radio.. changed the fuse, and start the car again.. everything is fine... i change gears, and it blows again...

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Hmmm e-mail me and Ill help you out.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts

·
Banned
279 Posts
just ran into this problem myself.
thought it was the alternator, swapped that only to find out its the gauge fuse that allows the alt to charge the battery.

I keep popping it for some reason.
help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts