Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pro-Comp Autometer Oil Temp Gauge and want to install it in the left driver side A/C vent closest to the door. I held it up to the vent and it seems to look like its going to fit but I want to know if there is anythin special you have to do to install it. Any tips or suggestions? Thankx guys

·
resident smart ass
486 Posts
Yeah cut the hell out if it and if doesnt look good then buy a new one.. they go for all of 30$.

Seriously. Just do the install and if it looks like shit buy a new one. Chances are you can just cut back anything you need to do.

Personally I would seal off the vent so it doesnt blow air under your dash and then it will make the other vents stronger.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It shouldn't require any cutting. If you are using a 60mm gauge just take it apart and it should slip in. I used a styrafoam cup and some tape to seal the vent behind the dash. Hope that helps.

Daniel

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My 2 5/8 tranny temp gauge fits perfect. The only thing I don't like is that the outer lip (bezel?) is big and doesn't fit flush with the dash. My SW gauge on the other hand is perfect. It sits in the dash like it was meant to be there. Also, if you put the SW gauge in there properly, you can actually swivel it once installed. Its pretty cool.

·
ankle breaker...
128 Posts
I have a 60mm Apexi EL series boost guage that i stuck in one of the vents too... but i stuck it in the one next to the clock. Anyway, there shouldn't be any cutting required, once you take off the dash you'll find that the vent is actually 2 parts. One is a ring in which the "turny" thing sits.

What you do is pull out the whole unit, and remove the centre part from the ring, it shouldn't be hard... just pull it out. Next, if your guage is a 60mm or smaller guage, it'll be too small and won't fit properly. What you do is wrap the guage in some foam, the stuff you can get as a tape. Anyway, stick it on so it creates a tight fit against the ring. Black will be the best colour b/c you'll be able to see a bit of it after the dash is back on. Anyway, once you fit it into the ring, put the ring back onto the dash. Reinstall, and voila.. you're done. Oh, i forgot to mention you'll need want to seal it so you don't get air blowing out from the vent still. I cut out the top part of a water bottle and some thermal tape so it won't come off when i used heat.

I suggest you put it int the one next the clock... when it's really hot or cold, the one closest to the door works better as a vent. There's a lof of piping to get to the one by the clock, that and the steering wheel kind of blocks the view to the other vent...IMO

(oh, and if you do choose to put it by the clock, you'll need to pull out a bit of "flat" piping, it won't be hard.. you'll figure out as you do it.. i did

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankkx alot those are some good instructions. i like the step by step...but i do have one question..when u cut the top half of the water bottle did u wrap the cap in thermal tape and just stuff it down there? Just have to make sure i understand

1 - 9 of 9 Posts