Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm considering moving from white faced Apexi EL gauges to black faced Apexi ELII gauges however finding decent info on these gauges, in particular a night shot of them lit up, has proven tough. :( I'm swapping my dash gauges over to reverse EL from Speedhut (my thanks to those who made that possible) and my existing gauges won't match. Below are my requirements for gauges - anyone know a good site to research gauges?

1) Metric, I've just gotten used to this is all and my AEM is setup this way too :)

2) Peak\Hold, External Warning, Playback might be nice. A seperate control box ala DEFI or Apexi ELII is okay.

3) Accurate please. Autometer need not apply ;)

4) Reverse EL, I'm looking for cobalt blue lettering and something that looks good. A shame Speedhut doesn't have a driver that can change shades :(

5) I'd like a specific gauge for fuel pressure not a generic "pressure" gauge. I realize this might not be possible since they all seem to have just one pressure gauge.

6) Pressure compensated fuel pressure reading. I'm told that some fuel pressure gauges will read intake manifodl pressure and compensate their readings so that ALL you need to worry about is that th ereading is steady and doesn't fall. I'd LOVE this as it would allow me to wire up a warning on this.

7) Decently priced. Yeah this might not be possible ;)

So, DEFI, Blitz, and the new Apexi appear to all be in the running but I'm not sure if they meet #4 and #7 plus finding pics of most of these is pretty tough. Help! Sources for purchasing these at good prices would also be nice although I prefer vendors that support the community. I've been all over most of the Supra vendor's WEB sites, most just show the same pics from the various manufacturers :rolleyes:

Thanks!

P.S. Anyone make a decent tach other than the Apexi EL unit? NOT Autometer. Doubt I'd do this but I've found that my OEM tach is NOT accurate and no one makes gauge overlays for the TRD 10K unit else I'd have had one long ago...

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, nooo sorry. I'm looking for something analog, good looking, and can be mounted more easily. :p

Come on, someone must know SOMETHING about the ELII gaiuges. Is no one running them?! A (decent) pic of them at night with a black face would be a good start. Anyone?

·
Registered
193 Posts
http://www.omorimeter.co.jp/english.html

I discovered these today while looking for a new boost gauge. I'm about as picky as you and they had almost exactly what I was looking for. Getting cobalt blue won't be a problem as you can adjust the RGB colors with 3 seperate knobs so they will closely match your other gauges.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Brother, it's like you're reading my mind!! I too am picky and will be swapping out my white faced Greddy EGT and white faced Greddy boost (note: it is a 3 BAR gauge though!!!). Why? They don't match the rest of my dash!

Blkmgk - I want the same thing in gauges, Not sure what you plans are with the car, but one of my requirements is a guage that reads to ~2.5bar - which eliminates alot :( like defi, omori, etc....grrr...

I've seen some nice stuff by SARD - sharp looking up to 2.5bar, but I haven't seen them with peak hold - def a requirement.

Jay

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, now we're talking and I'm happy to see I'm not the only one frustrated here :) One of my requirements is an EL gauge, call me rice but I like them! The Speedhut faces on the way are reverse EL with a cobalt blue lettering. This might be harder to come close to than a lighter color - oh well. The Omari looks interesting but I don't think it's EL. A real shame they put no pics of their gauges at night on their own page - I searched for awhile before I spotted the other URL :eek: Thanks for providing that!

The Blitz DC gauges meet your needs and have features I'm looking for except I don't know about the fuel pressure gauge's compensation or lack thereof :( What the flip do they look like at night? Their WEB site could have a better pic! The ELII only goto 2BAR but I'd still like to see what they look like at night anyway. My existing EL gauge goes to 2.5BAR, I'd like to see what the black face of this one looks like at night too.

I honestly hadn't realized that boost gauges that went above 2BAR weren't common. I honestly don't intend to spend much time in that rarified realm but I have popped up over 2BAR once or twice and on the track I do intend to hit that. The AEM will tell me my boost level after the fact but the warning function on the gauge will hardly be useful if I INTEND to go over :( I could do that with the AEM too but that seems pointless.

rant ON - why is it that vendors and manfuacturers who sell these cannot give decent pics? MVP doesn't even have pics of their Blitz gauges much less night shots of ANY gauge. HPF has a fuzzy pic I've seen everywhere for the ELIIs but at least they have the Blitz gauges pictured! DEFI too actually. Some of the vendors just don't seem to want to sell this stuff. Do they never have any in their possesion to take pics of?!:rolleyes: They ALL use the same descriptions too. Okay fine if they don't suck but geez, most do. Apex doesn't even list the ELII on their own danged WEB site. WTF?! rant OFF :(

Blitz DC pic - sorta' ->

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Preach on....

here's a SARD gauge...but white face:

SARD in black face:

Both have Peak / Memory...etc.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, shame about the "redline" on their boost gauge starting at 1.5BAR! I run 1.4BAR on the street daily driving to work! ROTFL!!!:p

If anyone cares I'm willing to take and post pics of my standard EL gauges at night. These are white faced and look good just not what I want in the future...

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I've been looking to change out my whie face greddy gauges
for awhile now. I'm getting sick of the green that it it lights up at night. But i cant seem to choose between the DEFI BL or the blitz ones. Anyway, check this sight BLKMGK, it has pics of the blitz gauges lit.

http://www.takakaira.com/performance/main.html

also has pics of numerous other gauges too.

-Phu

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, some pretty good pics of a bunch of gauges. Unfortunatly it looks like all of the boost gauges stop at 2BAR! Anyone want to trade a black faced Apexi EL boost and EGT for a white faced set? Can just leave your harness in place and swap gauges! <sigh>

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
:( Damn it...why must the gauge makers hate us!? Looks like I'm stuck between the Apex'i and SARD gauges.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, and the older Apexi at that!

R

·
0 Posts
I woudln't mind a STACK Unit.. I'm having the same problem as u BLKMGK. However I like the stock gague look so I'm trying to find gauges over 2.0bar that match stock, seems impossible. I want a gauge-tech that will mount in my lower strereo din. That'd be nice!

BLK: Is there any advantage to running AEM boost control? I like my EVC5. Just curious when I migrate to aem if I should allow it to control my boost..Other thatn the obvious for boost spikes etc.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far the Blitz DC and th eolder APexi EL gauges appear to meet many of my needs. However I'm NOT sure if the Blitz DC does what I want with regards to the fuel pressure gauge - I'm pretty sure the Apexi does NOT. A shame the DEFI doesn't go over 2BAR. I'm going to try asking on HPFs forum today to see if maybe Chris or one of his guys can come up with some answers since they sell this stuff...

Oh, AEM boost control.... The AEM can be setup to drop boost under various conditions - say an overrev or a lean mixture, or a mth pump run dry. This is done by wiring other outputs into an output that would drop the boost target. I actually do this using the pressure switch on my meth pump, if it doesn't see pressure my boost target stays low. You can control boost target vs TPS or boost vs MPH too. An external controller's biggest advantages are that it's easy to change targets and that there's little setup. The AEM's boost control must be setup per vehicle! The solenoid you choose and how you plumb it matters too - my solenoid has to see 100% duty to see MINIMUM boost. A wiring failure or solenoid failure means an overboost:eek: If I were to switch to an Apexi solenoid or perhaps plumb it differently this would change. I currently use both ports of the W/G and a GM solenoid. Probably best to answer this stuff on the AEM forum ;)

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doh! Cheap too! I think the Blitz DC gauges or the older Apexi ones will work - I just need to know if the Fuel Pressure gauge is compensated or not. Right now I'm just trying to get all of my LEDs and backliting switched to blue, I'll then get VERY serious about new gauges!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bought the Apexi ELIIs, worked great! Now suddenly TWO have died - GRR! They also do not have an external warning output which the DEFI DO. I will likely go DEFI now <sigh> Just thought I'd update since I ran across this thread...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts