Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'll keep this quick. I was wondering if anyone knew offhand what size the Supra's gauges were (mine's an 87) and I'm talking like the speedo, tach, and everything. I can't find it in my service manual. And as long as I'm putting this up, what does everyone like for gauges? I was looking at greddy and this really cool A/F gauge I saw in a magazine, but frankly, I don't have a clue. Thanks for any help guys!

Deep_Blue

M

·
0 Posts
The Defi BF meters are really nice :)
also, the HKS DB Chrono meters look pretty nice and might match and complement the 87-88 gauges (they have small subdivision markings between the big marks).

Those 2 are my personal favorites :)

MelloBoy

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
For price, autometer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mello, I'm on the HKS site right now checkin those out, and they look awesome!! Do the gauges do the thing where they go to the max and then back down when you start the car, or does that require a little customization? I saw the WRX does that and that's pretty cool.

Deep_Blue

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Greddy's A/F gauge is a near wideband gauge. You're better off getting a true wideband for the money.

I really like the greddy gauges and the Defi Link gagues and they are reasonable priced. But for shear style you can't beat the Defi BF (awesome opening sequence) and the Blitz black light gauges are awesome.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I don't want a greddy A/F gauge though, the one I want is made by a company called Nordskog, and it looks awesome!!! You guys should check it out.

Deep_Blue

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Deep_Blue said:
Okay, I don't want a greddy A/F gauge though, the one I want is made by a company called Nordskog, and it looks awesome!!! You guys should check it out.

Deep_Blue
Its useless... its just a dancing light. It only measures AF according to the stock O2 sensor which is a narrow band and tells basically nothing unless it is within a very narrow band of voltages around stoich. Don't waste your money.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
EGT....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are we looking at the same one? The one I want is analog, but you might be right about how it acquires its' data.

Deep_Blue

M

·
0 Posts
Deep Blue,
I BELIEVE the HKS DB Chrono gauge will, on startup, goto MIN and then to MAX, back to MIN and then start functioning.

The DEFI gauges will do the same thing, BUT, when off, the BF meter will be black faced and nothing can be seen. Once the ignition turns on and power goes to the gauges, you can see the needle and the backlight per se.

MelloBoy

M

·
0 Posts
I've heard good things about VDO gauges.

About the Greddy A/F gauge, I was talking to this guy that had one, and he said that it didn't even give him that accurate of readings, and around here it's about $300USD. He said sometimes it would be at 8, sometimes it would be at 14, you never could tell what it was going to tell you.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
Just want to take this opportunity to slam autometer gauges: Buying autometer guages for your Supra is like buying a home theater in-a-box from walmart for your $16k 63" plasma TV. :D

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Boostedstr8six said:
Just want to take this opportunity to slam autometer gauges: Buying autometer guages for your Supra is like buying a home theater in-a-box from walmart for your $16k 63" plasma TV. :D
Great analogy! I like that and it's very true. I "thought" that the autometer gauges were good when I had them. Now that I have bumped up to all Greddy's, it's a different world. They are much more accurate and precise and faster to react than the Autometer. The peak/hold/warning feature is also a valuable tool as well.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
hawkeye said:
Its useless... its just a dancing light. It only measures AF according to the stock O2 sensor which is a narrow band and tells basically nothing unless it is within a very narrow band of voltages around stoich. Don't waste your money.

Out of curiousity do you have a Greddy A/F guage??? I have one and it has matched the dyno wideband # for # on my car. It has its own sensor and there is only one light (a warning one). Sounds to me like you are describing the Autometer A/F gauge. Although I wouldn't recommend buying it these days since the widebands are only a couple of hundred bucks more these days. Back when I bought mine the only option was the $1500 Motec unit.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Man, how big are your DEFi gauges? those things look huge! yes, another vote for how crappy autometer gauges are. and i had VDO gauges, in my BMW, liked those a lot, they looked good, and worked very well...

·
664 rwhp / 590 rwtqe
1,868 Posts
I had to redo my whole cluster and found only autometer had the full matching lineup.

·
664 rwhp / 590 rwtqe
1,868 Posts
Trent, I agree Greddy are 100x better. I have all greddy on my 1j car. I have the full line up of Apexi gauges on my 3KGT also.......they are sweet as hell IMO also...I would love to redo my yellow car with either if they offered a speedo...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts