Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what compression # (roughly) would putting a built GTE (tt) head on a GE (n/a) block with the stock TT head gasket make?

just curious too, what it would take to lower the compression # to 8.5:1 on this combo.

i believe the GE bottom end is just as stout as the GTE... i was planning on seeing how much this combo would hold up to with a big GT47-88 and th400. :)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's what i thought.. but how big/thick of a head gasket would i need to lower the compression down to (close to) 8.5:1? then at that point, it should be as stout as the GTE block/motor correct?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm 2 stock head gaskets stacked?? wouldn't it be a wiser choice to go with an hks or greddy or another metal gasket that is closer to 2mm?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Some have done it, but I wouldn't do it myself. I thought you wanted your compression to be around 8.5:1?

2mm would be perfect for what you want.

·
Banned
1,747 Posts
they also have 3mm head gaskets. i thought the 2mm dropped you to a little more then 8.5:1 but don't quote me on that.

also keep in mind, no oil squirter

·
Banned
216 Posts
use the cometic 1.88 headgasket or 2.0 and it should get you where u need to be

i think the same way you are, i think that the ge bottom end is just as strong as the gte bottom. good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
arnt you worried about altering the timing of the engien by raising lowering the compression this way?

im 99% sure the crank and rods are identical on the GE and GTE engines, just the pistons are different...

·
Banned
1,747 Posts
arnt you worried about altering the timing of the engien by raising lowering the compression this way?

im 99% sure the crank and rods are identical on the GE and GTE engines, just the pistons are different...
I'm 100% sure of that. unless the ge block is from a vvt-i engine, then they have "light weight" rods

·
Registered
32 Posts
excuese the newbie-ness, but how much better is the tt head? is this that much better than going 1jz or na-t? 2jzgte heads with manifolds end up being just as expensive.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
excuese the newbie-ness, but how much better is the tt head? is this that much better than going 1jz or na-t? 2jzgte heads with manifolds end up being just as expensive.
well the reason i'm going with a TT head is because

1) i don't like the distributor (huge sucker in the way and it doesn't look that good)
2) there are a lot more selection of intakes and turbo kits/manifold for the TT head

other than that i think the GE head has bigger exhaust ports, not sure about the flow differences

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
they also have 3mm head gaskets. i thought the 2mm dropped you to a little more then 8.5:1 but don't quote me on that.

also keep in mind, no oil squirter
Word. Exactly my first thought.

·
3,488 Posts
well the reason i'm going with a TT head is because

1) i don't like the distributor (huge sucker in the way and it doesn't look that good)
2) there are a lot more selection of intakes and turbo kits/manifold for the TT head

other than that i think the GE head has bigger exhaust ports, not sure about the flow differences
The GE head is said to be superior to the GTE except that 1) as you mentioned more selection of turbo kits and manis and 2) a selection of aftermarket gams exist for the GTE, compared to the GE where none exists. This information may be old, but that's how I remember it being for ages now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
For a drag application the GE block should fair well! However without having the oil squirters, your missing out on much needed cooling and lubrication! Just don't go road coursing with that th400and keeping Things cool shouldn't be a problem
! LOL

·
3,488 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts