Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a lil tricky to search for and the search page just kept giving me a white page. I've seen threads like this, but had to repost question because search wasn't working.

I am looking to build up an engine on the side, so there is no additional down time on my turbo engine in my car now.

I found a local 7MGE complete engine for sale quite cheap. Would it be worth it to pick that up and build that up? Nevermind any additional crap like manifolds, etc. Pretty much longblock conversion if you think about it. What would I need to change?

Plans for a GTE Engine would be build up the bottom end with JEs, rods, etc. For the NA Engine obviously new internals would change compression issue but isn't it not set up right for oil lines, etc. Toss in all info and trash talking thanks!

·
Registered
601 Posts
yeah the bottom end is pretty much the same. The only difference being is no oil squirters. Someone pimp slap me if Im wrong but Im pretty sure Im right. You should be able to buy all the pistons, etc...... and do a turbo block build up with the GE bottom end.

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
wusaint36 said:
yeah the bottom end is pretty much the same. The only difference being is no oil squirters. Someone pimp slap me if Im wrong but Im pretty sure Im right. You should be able to buy all the pistons, etc...... and do a turbo block build up with the GE bottom end.
IIRC, you sir, are correct

Or you can pimp slap the both of us I guess :urowned:

·
Registered
601 Posts
reedjsupra said:
IIRC, you sir, are correct

Or you can pimp slap the both of us I guess :urowned:
:bigthumb: Will do my friend. Im just not as expierienced as a lot on this forum are and I dont like giving bad advice. Theres already too much of that floating around.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright so these oil squirters what are they, are they necessary, pain in the ass to put in?? Thanks ;)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Lord Mike said:
alright so these oil squirters what are they, are they necessary, pain in the ass to put in?? Thanks ;)
Ok im going to give this another shot. I have no idea how to put them in as Ive never personally done it. I dont imagine it would be too hard. As far as being necisarry its not although it is nice for extra insurance. With a properly built block you really shouldnt "need" them. I turbod my old 5MGE in my 82 and it didnt have oil squirters. However anyone please chime in on what it takes to put these onto the GE bottom end.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the oil lines for the turbo. the NA Engine probably doesn't have the hookup for those huh? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Just marking this thread for updates. Thinking about doing this in my car.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Someone chime in on the oil squirters cause Im kind of curious about that myself. I know when I yank my GE and throw the GTE in my car I plan on doing a build on the GE bottom end myself.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You can drill and tap the oil galley for the squirters, then spend time getting them aimed correctly (so they actually squirt oil to the underside and skirt of the piston, not the rod)... but why waste time and money doing that?

Just find a GTE block and use it.

GTE block is already drilled and tapped for turbo oil drain, both knock sensors (GE block only has 1 knock sensor), and the squirters.

The oil pump is also different in a GTE block, it is a high-volume pump (i.e, it has wider gears over a GE pump, thus, it can pump a larger volume of oil per revolution vs a GE pump)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robbman said:
You can drill and tap the oil galley for the squirters, then spend time getting them aimed correctly (so they actually squirt oil to the underside and skirt of the piston, not the rod)... but why waste time and money doing that?

Just find a GTE block and use it.

GTE block is already drilled and tapped for turbo oil drain, both knock sensors (GE block only has 1 knock sensor), and the squirters.

The oil pump is also different in a GTE block, it is a high-volume pump (i.e, it has wider gears over a GE pump, thus, it can pump a larger volume of oil per revolution vs a GE pump)
So basically buy a GTE longblock instead of a GE(for cheaper) to rebuild... dang. I was getting an awesome local deal for a GE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts