Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the story, i have a first half '89 Supra n/a, auto. and i bought a '87 Supra turbo 5 speed. both engine and the 5 speed would be going into the '89 after rebuild. well, ive been tearing down the engine and have notice a few things which i dont think it has been mentioned before in "GE to GTE conversion" threads and web sites.

the '87 turbo has a "turbo pressure sensor." would i need this for the swap? what else would i need for the swap. not includeing ECU, harness, etc. etc.?

i also want to know what i dont need in a way of hoses? i already know about the EGR. i still want my power steering and A/C. anything else i can remove thats unwanted?

on the driver side, ive notice couple wires going to the 5 speed. where do they go? would i need them for a auto to R154 swap? i can use the auto ECU when i go manual, right?

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
the turbo pressure sensor is simply the sender for the stock electronic boost gauge. Keep your volt gauge, and buy an aftermarket boost gauge

You can use the Automatic ECU, but there will be some re-wiring for the clutch start safety switch and for the reverse lights. Search for "manual swap" and you should get all the info

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help.

BTW, ive check on some prise quotes for gaskets, bearings, OEM cams, etc. ive notice, the the valve train has lifters. i was quoted at $26 a lifter. which comes to around $600 for all new lifters. would i need new lifters? how would i check if i do need new ones? the cams are out of the head. speaking of cams, can the cam caps be resurface or replace with bearings? my caps are scared.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts