Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
mach chicken
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the GE is done.. to me replacing it with another GE is pointless.. would never get anything much out of the car.. so if i go the GTE route.. All I should need is the engine, tranny, ECU, and some components IC etc... anything else I should realize before I order an engine?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
make sure that the ECU and wiring harness and engine are off the same year/drivetrain as your car or are compatible. If you have an 88 manual and you drop in a 90 auto ecu, it won't work and the wiring harness won't fit.

Also, if you're switching over to the R154 tranny, you'll need the driveshaft, lutch slave cylinder, and clutch line. you'll also need a new lower speedo cable. Other stuff you'll need includes coil pack, igniter, cps, afm, all IC piping, and oil cooler. Some of that will probably come with the engine, but if it doesn't, you'll need it and it has to be the same year as the ECU

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I'm gonna have a parts car that has a GE in a few months here, and I want to rebuild my GTE. Is there a way to just drop the GE block and head in and use the turbo at stock boost? or would I have to run race fuel. or can I switch out CPU's and engine harness and run a GE and everything else work?

can't afford to get another GTE longblock to work on, and I need to go through this damn engine and fix the leaks and beef it up so it can be dead reliable...

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
ge block/head transmission even too and then ALL gte components. Full na-t conversion with an easy swap.

The problem with that is reliability, unless of course the ge was built with a properly torqued mhg and boosting was no problem to the engine (ge has higher compression than gte)

It would be a nice increase of power

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Poodles said:
I'm gonna have a parts car that has a GE in a few months here, and I want to rebuild my GTE. Is there a way to just drop the GE block and head in and use the turbo at stock boost? or would I have to run race fuel. or can I switch out CPU's and engine harness and run a GE and everything else work?

can't afford to get another GTE longblock to work on, and I need to go through this damn engine and fix the leaks and beef it up so it can be dead reliable...
Poodles, yeah, you can drop the GE block and head in your turbo and keep everything else in. You will need to add an oil return though. Pull the timing a couple degrees as well. That's what half of the N/A-T guys do.... keep the GE block and swap in everything else. You would want to keep the turbo ECU in there as he timing advance curve isn't as steep and run high octane gas, just the premium stuff.

·
Is this thing on?
306 Posts
ugh....... im a hypocryte sometimes when it comes to the search button, but seriously, use it! IMO buy the GTE, buy a GOOD aluminum intercooler, get hardpipes, get exhaust made, just all the basic crap and all the small things to make it run and you will be good to go, if you use the NA block eventually you will get cocky turn up your boost and break it alot easier than you would a Turbo bottom end but again that is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
it's only going to be a temp. solution until I can rebuild my GTE block since my Supra is my DD...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts