Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know there is a thread somewhere about the 6spd vs. auto gear ratio/speed difference... but i can't find it due to the stupid search function being messed up.

is there a link or a way to find out the max speed for each gear (6spd mk4 supra) with the stock gear ratio 3.13 final

vs.

3.27 final

vs.

3.77 final?

i want to calculate this with the stock tire diameter and also 28" tall tires. the REDLINE will be 8000 RPM

thanks for any help!
jason

ps- i'm thinking the change in gear ratio would affect the dyno horsepower significantly?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nick- that is exactly what i was looking for that is awesome!!! you can actually change the tire diameter size and final gear ratio #!!

i'm thinking about going with the auto rear and gear ratio with my 6spd. on anything under a 28" tall tire drag racing it would be totally crappy!

at 8000 RPM and 28" tall tires with a 3.77 (auto gear) my MAX mph would be 135mph (4th gear)!

with a stock 3.13 gear and same set up as above, i'll be trapping 162mph (in 4th)!

lol that is a HUUUGE difference... thanks for the #'s and info again that was super useful.. but i'm just curious about how it'll effect the Dyno horsepower.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi, Damned if I can get that link to open for me (something to do with my computer not able to open file) Anyway can you use it to tell me top speed info for 4th gear with 3.26 diff/ 26 inch tire/ 7500rpm . Thanks Phil.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Phil,
Assuming you fell for all the BGates BS like most of us, you probably have to go to control panel find folder options and set file types so that files with the "xls" extension are opened with your spreadsheet program whichever one you have.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phil NZ said:
Hi, Damned if I can get that link to open for me (something to do with my computer not able to open file) Anyway can you use it to tell me top speed info for 4th gear with 3.26 diff/ 26 inch tire/ 7500rpm . Thanks Phil.

with your set up, your max speed at 7500 RPM in 4th would be 135 mph!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
Phil,
Assuming you fell for all the BGates BS like most of us, you probably have to go to control panel find folder options and set file types so that files with the "xls" extension are opened with your spreadsheet program whichever one you have.
Thanks, I'm a bit computer illiterate, at 46yrs old I only have the computer because I want access to the likes of Supraforums and info for the car. I'll try what you suggest. Thanks Phil.

·
Registered
270 Posts
sleeknsilver said:
with your set up, your max speed at 7500 RPM in 4th would be 135 mph!
Thanks for that, I might adjust my rev-limit up to 7750 just for 1/4 mile so that should allow +140mph. Must make a difference to the ET not having to grab 5th. I think my setup should put me in the high 130's to low 140's once I finally get to try it out. (winter here now) I assume 7500rpm is a good safe Street setting and that raising it to 7750 should not be an issue for the odd 1/4 run. I am on HKS 264 cams but the rest of the head components are OEM. Thanks again Phil.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
phil- no problem.. why don't you just run taller tires? then you wouldn't have to raise your rev limiter to hit your 140mph mark?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Phil NZ said:
Thanks, I'm a bit computer illiterate, at 46yrs old...
I thought most of you youngsters knew this kimpewter crap.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
I thought most of you youngsters knew this kimpewter crap.
Oh-Ow guess I cannot use my age as an excuse. Ummm I spend too much time working on my car to be able to learn about computers, that might stand up as a better excuse LOL. Cheers Phil.

·
Registered
270 Posts
sleeknsilver said:
phil- no problem.. why don't you just run taller tires? then you wouldn't have to raise your rev limiter to hit your 140mph mark?
My friend and fellow MKIV owner has a set of MT Streets that are 26inch that he is loaning to me when the time comes. As I'm not into Drags in a big way I do not want to invest in a set of drag rims/tires but I would like to try to produce a sub 11 sec time slip to prove a point about the cars capability. Cheers Phil

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Phil NZ said:
My friend and fellow MKIV owner has a set of MT Streets that are 26inch that he is loaning to me when the time comes. As I'm not into Drags in a big way I do not want to invest in a set of drag rims/tires but I would like to try to produce a sub 11 sec time slip to prove a point about the cars capability. Cheers Phil
phil, i hear ya and i can relate. if you have the stock rims still or any 17" rim that will fit in the back that close to 9-10" wide.

MnH racemaster has a drag radial that is 28" tall. i believe the size is 275/50/17
it's a drag radial so you can run your radial tires up front and it won't be AS crazy as if you were to run slicks in the back and radial in front.
* note of caution if you do run drag radials though. slip your clutch a lot because it will be real hard on your differential and or drive shaft if you just drop the clutch hard. i found that out the hard way the other weekend (blown diff) :(

those DR might be worth a shot to look into if need be :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts