Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, right now I have a 97 v6 mustang. Yes I know. My parents got it for me I'm not complaining.

But now I have the chance to get a MK3 turbo instead of the mustang. + have money for mods.

Should I go for it?

Also, there is a 1989 turbo wtih 106k miles for $2500 here. I think I might go for it. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
65 Posts
ive had stangs before and didnt like anyof them as much as supra's, and will you have enough money to have the hg replaced or fixed?

·
Registered
65 Posts
have you done any research on the hg issue, because if not u might want to consider doing some
youll have probs with the stang later anyway so you might as well

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have the money for the head gasket, I'm reading as much as I can right now. How much is typical cost to replace head gasket?

·
Registered
65 Posts
you will spend 1500 to 2500 to HAVE it done to do it yourself your just paying for all the parts
and yes everyone is going to tell you to get rid of the stang including me

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Wusstang

I actually had my head gasket, water pump, timing belt tensioner, and timing belt replaced for $953.00 (including the head machining). A Stock MK3 Supra turbo will eat a v6 stang and beat a GT Automatic as well (figures courtesy of carpoint.com). Go for the Supra man.

John

1983 Supra MKII
Supercharged
AFM Mod
K&N Style Filter
Aaron Garney Intake
62mm throttle body
410 LSD
2.5" downpipe
Hi-flow cat
2.25 Catback
'97 N/A Headers
306 [email protected] and 302 [email protected]

1987 Supra MK3 N/A
Stock

S

·
0 Posts
whitemk3 said:
you will spend 1500 to 2500 to HAVE it done to do it yourself your just paying for all the parts
and yes everyone is going to tell you to get rid of the stang including me
Holy shit man, if you paid that much you got hella ripped. I had the damn Toyota dealership do it (before i knew about MAW) and it was only like $800. You can get a low mile JDM engne w/ a MHG for less than fuckin 2500 bones.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
No question. SUPRA.
I would buy a better supra to start out with though and worry about mods later. I would look for the best conditioned mk3 I could find.

How much do you think that you could get for the Stang?
IF yuo could find a low mileage/mint mk3 then it would run you a cost of 10k MAX. Expect a well priced MINT.MOSTLY STOCK mk3 to run you 8k-10k.

If you could somehow shell out 20k, you should try to get Mike Urbano's or Dan Matoba's car.

Best regards.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
mk3 supe all the way! much more fun to drive rarer and in my opinion sexier car ;)

what part of FL are you in?

S

·
0 Posts
If you can't find a lower mile (<90k) in near mint (good paint and interior) for less than 7500, you're either not looking hard enough or you need to be more patient.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stang is worth at least $5500. Yeah I know they make a lot of stuff for 3.8 stangs, I've read that 3.8mustang site a lot.

But for any real gains you have to get supercharger/turbo. I don't have $5k for that. The rest of the stuff I just don't feel like paying for to get 6 hp.

·
...make that none again
1,932 Posts
Here's my take on it. Of course ditch the stang, especially a v6 one. A pretty mint low mileage(in our case low mileage is under 100k) should run you about $6k. By pretty mint I mean all around good condition, shiny paint, runs well, nice interior. You can find ones in good shape for like $4k, but many that you'll see will go for under $3k and have something that could use fixing i.e. a few dents, faded paint(common), ripped seats(very common), and possibly a bhg(a common reason the average person sells a mk3 in the first place, can find these for around $2k-). Where are you in Florida? We're having a huge meet on the 6th in Clearwater, you should come and check out the mkiii's before you buy one.

Oh, one last thing, this isn't to scare you, it's just a fact. You're looking into getting an 11+ year old turbocharged car. Things will breakdown in it, be it a vacuum hose, slave cylinder, or whatever. Just be prepared and always keep a couple $100's in the bank just for supra repairs. Don't go spending all your money on mods from the get go.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info punky. I should have been more clear in the original message, I'll definitely have 1500-200 saved for repairs for this, that isn't much of a problem.

Oh I'm in Tallhassee

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
Nothing but the facts from me...

I have an 89T Supra... friend "had" a 93 V8 Stang...

The only way he could take me at the light is if I was changing the CD when the light turned green.

Top end? No contest...Supra by a mile.

You do the math

Keith

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
hey give me a call tomorrow and i will take you for a ride in a mkIII turbo. Ditch the stang and get the supra. I would be glad to help you mod it also and take a look at it.

Eric
850-212-7239

1 - 20 of 26 Posts