Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question. has anyone ever entertained the idea of have a direct outside cool air (filtered) to the intake side and by-pass the entire innercooler system. would the air be as cool or cooler. and would it not save some weight and get rid of all possible leaks in the current system. the reason i ask this, is because looking at some of the set-ups in the "Turbo" mags with some of the drag cars, they seem to be doing alot of direct air techniques. is this plauseable or am i missing something? this is my first turbo car and trying to incorporate old school ideas.;)

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
hmmm

it goes from turbo inlet----then to turbo outlet---then to intercooler--then to tb...so you take out the intercooler and you have a pipe straight from the turbo to the throttle body which is full of hot air. what you see in the mags is that they eliminate the intake piping to the turbo so it goes straight into the inlet

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess what i am trying to ask, why do we have cold air boxes and cone filters? is there a system that allows you to pipe directly to outside? for example- when guys take out head light for colder direct air. does anybody make something that keeps you from having to take out light and/or install a cold air box? or is something i have to custom build myself? not alot of room in front of a supra. i have never seen anything like that - or does it not make that much of a diff.?

·
Registered
74 Posts
When you compress air, the temperature greatly increases. Some of the drag racers get rid of the intercooler because they are running on alcohol, which removes alot of heat when it vaporizes thus acting like an intercooler. They are also going only a short distance which doesn't give the engine and intake system much time to heat soak. The complexity and weight of an intercooler sometimes isn't offset by the power added depending on the fuel used.
I hope this helps.
John B.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mistersolo is right. The only time I would recommend a non-intercooled turbo application is if you are going to run on pure methanol. You can run a SMALLER intercooler than usual, if you use alcohol injection. The stock intercooler, if it can FLOW enough (which I am unsure of), would be fine for cooling up to well over 600HP if you used a good amount of alcohol injection.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the info guys. let me ask this question. can a y-pipe be installed after the innercooler with ramed outside air(filtered)be used in conjuntion with suppling cooled air to intake?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CBDFLY said:
thanks for all the info guys. let me ask this question. can a y-pipe be installed after the innercooler with ramed outside air(filtered)be used in conjuntion with suppling cooled air to intake?
No. The motor would never make any boost. All the pressure the turbo builds would go out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts