Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the problems have been rollin in lately with this car... Now ive got alittle bit of a expensive problem on my hands.

It all started when i was driving through a development and got to a stop sign, where i was ready to put it back into 1st and take off.... well the car didnt feel like taking off, infact it didnt feel like going into any gears.

The tranny would slide straight up and down into what use to be 3/4th. It wouldnt go into 1,2,5,6,R. And you know that there isnt a gear there, because when you put it into the 3/4th position, and release the clutch, the car stays at idle.

Soo.. I pulled the tranny yesterday just to make sure it wasent something stupid, since i really didnt beat on it to cause a problem or do anything wrong.

-The Carbon Carbon clutch is brand new, nothing wrong Still Perfect.
-Drivshaft is perfect
-The Shifter linkage is good for as far as i can see (unless its something internal)
- The draining of tranny fluid, resulted in small , i mean very small amount of silver shavings and some gold ones in there to, but hardly noticeable.

Another thing that i found to be interesting. The tranny goes into gear when it is out of the car. BUT, when you put it into gear You can spin the clutch spline and also the driveshaft mount independently. Which isnt good.

So i was wondering, since i have no experience with the internals of a 6 speed, if someone could possibly narrow down the internal problems of the tranny. thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
is your slave cylinder working? engaging and disengaging the clutch? maybe it's leaking internally and not allowing proper operation, Rob NJ.
p.s.
when you coming to turbotrix and/or suprameet coming up soon?

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The slave cylinder engages and disgauges. How do you check for a faulty slave or master cylinder??

haha. whenever i fix all these bugs in this damn car! :)

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SpeedworksT78 said:
Jon sounds to me like it's a linkage related issue, is there any grinding at all?
well before when it was working.... there was no grinding at all.
When it broke. you couldnt go into any gear.. just slide straight up and down, felt like you were hitting a wall.

... now that it is out you can go into the gears without a problem.

but.. im not sure is the in/out spline supposed to be locked when in gear... if you spin the IN the OUT does spin with it. But you can also independently rotate them, when it is in gear.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well when you turn the input shaft the output shaft will turn at a different speed depending on the gear you're in...
I found an easy way to run the tranny at a little speed and test going through all the gears is to just close the chuck of a cordless drill on the pilot of the input shaft, move the shifter or linkage into the appropriate gear and pull the trigger. This will tell you if the tranny can go into each gear and be engaged properly.

Form what you describe though I believe it will have to be opened up... sorry.

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to a buddy of mine, and he had the same problems.

Turned out to be a Shift Fork. so we will see, now i have to find a shop that i trust. good luck with that!

·
Turbo LAX
274 Posts
The gold shavings you see in your oil is from your synchro's, the silver stuff would be from your gears.

Going off the info you've just provided, you've probably dropped the dowel pin out of the select shaft that holds the fork that interleaves with the other linkages that actually move the hubs to select the appropriate gear.

You could replace this yourself if you're mechanically minded. You may be able to actually repair this, if not you're up for a new part :(

Hope this is of some assistance to you.

Cheers
Jon

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, now what are the chances if that did break... that it messed up the other parts in the tranny.

I was told the silver was from the only alluminum part in the tranny. the shift fork.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would say that if you had enough play that the dowel worked itself out then you would really want to replace the dowel and fork with new pieces, the shaft should be fine though considering that is a very hard metal.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Cool... It'll be fun. You may need to make up some heavy duty puller pieces, and the sevice tool set for the tranny would help you a lot too. You can probably grab the tranny manual from MKIV.com...
I've messed with a few, if you've ever messed with trannies before you'll be impressed when you get this one open.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts