Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Blue Thunder
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend Tajh has an FD with the BMW DCT running with his awesome 3 rotor. Thing is AWESOME !

I saw a thread that died back in 2019 about Whifbitz putting something together that was proprietary.

Fast forward a few years and I was wondering has anyone in the US done this yet ? Seems that all the
hard work has been done AND it's pretty cheap !

Seems Legit Garage in Detroit carries everything you need minus the trans for really decent prices...

1. $85 for the PCB needed
2. $1150 for trans adapter and FW
3. $175 for parking brake
4. $200 for paddle shiters
5. $1250 for the HTG GCU tranny computer
6. $500-2000 for DCT

So for anywhere from $3-5k you can have a fully functioning 7 spd DCT in a MKIV !?!

All the rest is easy DIY stuff. Wiring the GCU to the Mecatronics in the trans. Mounting trans/DS/paddles.
Wondering if anyone is contemplating this? I'm auto, I've had a complete R154 swap in my garage for years. Just haven't
had the inclination to put it all in yet with this DC traffic. But a DCT is the best of both worlds I reckon.

Thoughts?

Reactions: FasTTurbo

·
Blue Thunder
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The TCU needed that does all the magic. No need for a specific stand alone just to control the trans.

You can even wire in a clutch pedal to have even more control over the DCT. Plus it has lots of support with forums and
baseline maps.

Maxx Ecu is another besides Syvecs but those are Stand alones.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
HTG us infact a standalone TCU.

there is another TCU which the name eludes me. That does not include maxxecu which has the built in canbus messages to interface directly with the DCT.

For the proper dct.. it will not cost $500.. minimum of 1.2k. The $500 option is for the SMG which is garbage.

Finally, the tune will require dyno time and tweaking through out to figure out bite points, prefills etc.

You forgot to include a custom driveshaft as it is not a drop in affair.

·
Super Moderator
10,826 Posts
As I recall, the main concern with the Whifbitz 7DCT was its torque-holding ability, especially in the era of E-85, torque monster turbos, high static compression and strokers. Maybe things have changed, but that would be good to know.

That 20B FD is something else!.

Ken.

Reactions: Craig Bush

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
As I recall, the main concern with the Whifbitz 7DCT was its torque-holding ability, especially in the era of E-85, torque monster turbos, high static compression and strokers. Maybe things have changed, but that would be good to know.

Ken.

they have been holding at 1200nm (885ft-lb) without issues. If running upgraded billet baskets and clutches, it can handle way more.

Interesting enough the MKIV rear end gearing makes it almost identical to all the //M series rear end which should make it fly off the line with correct programming and give some really good cruise numbers.

·
Blue Thunder
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HTG us infact a standalone TCU.

there is another TCU which the name eludes me. That does not include maxxecu which has the built in canbus messages to interface directly with the DCT.

For the proper dct.. it will not cost $500.. minimum of 1.2k. The $500 option is for the SMG which is garbage.

Finally, the tune will require dyno time and tweaking through out to figure out bite points, prefills etc.

You forgot to include a custom driveshaft as it is not a drop in affair.

I said the GCU was a TCU...no stand alone ECU needed.
The DS was a no brainer. i figured anyone doing this would KNOW they'd need one.
I saw a Getrag DCT listed at a local wrecker for $500. It was missing the pan, which would be upgraded
anyway.
Of course it would need a tune. I also said baselines were avail in the GCU forums. I think you just nitpicking now !
There's nothing PHYSICALLY stopping this from happening now. Prices have came down and there are several types of cars running these trannies.

I guess I'll just do it and see what it's like.

B

·
Boost Junkie
12,761 Posts

Ken.
Ken,

Wade Hill is putting the DCT in his 1/2 mile car. Apparently, you can have the transmissions built now to hold higher HP and TQ. I have to say this is interesting as I've been in several E92s with the DCT and they are brutal - imagine shifting through the gears with no boost lag and holding boost throughout the shifts? I love my Getrag, but this is intriguing.

Steve

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I said the GCU was a TCU...no stand alone ECU needed.
The DS was a no brainer. i figured anyone doing this would KNOW they'd need one.
I saw a Getrag DCT listed at a local wrecker for $500. It was missing the pan, which would be upgraded
anyway.
Of course it would need a tune. I also said baselines were avail in the GCU forums. I think you just nitpicking now !
There's nothing PHYSICALLY stopping this from happening now. Prices have came down and there are several types of cars running these trannies.

I guess I'll just do it and see what it's like.

B
It is not that simple and not nitpicking. Technically accuracy is needed if doing this.

Which reminds me. You also forgot the gear selector which is needed to select gears and also paddles if the end user wants. Also, the TCU replaces the OEM TCU in its entirety so the shop better be REALLY good behind a soldering iron. None temp controlled irons will lead to a mess.

HTG has partnered with Domiworks for all the adapter plates to include the 1jz/2jz adapter to the DCT. Those are some NICE kits!

Also, if it is not the GS7D36BG (Getrag 7DCI700) it will not hold the torque. The GS7D36SG is only good for 600nm (Getrag 7DCI600). Also you will have to be careful with some DCT/SMG that are only 1:1 7th gear. Those are the ones that are coming in regularly at $500.

I have a GS7D36BG sitting in my garage for my project which is 7m based hence all the knowledge as i have researched this for the last two years and talked at length with Bartek, owner of HTG.

·
Blue Thunder
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is not that simple and not nitpicking. Technically accuracy is needed if doing this.

Also, if it is not the GS7d36BG (Getrag 7DCI700) it will not hold the torque. The GS7D36SG is only good for 600nm (Getrag 7DCI600). Also you will have to be careful with some DCT/SMG that are only 1:1 7th gear.

It is the GS7d36BG and there are clutch upgrades available for them both. Exedy has one that I know of.
And yes I know about the 1:1 7th gear.

Plus I'm keeping my twins, which won't be taxing it anyway.

B

PS: And I also know you MAY have to PERSUADE the trans tunnel on certain ones too. This wasn't meant to be a HOW-TO guide BTW.

·
Blue Thunder
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This RX8/2JZ/DCT video shows him launching it with a button used as the clutch.

That is insane !

Reactions: chevydude

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
It is the GS7d36BG and there are clutch upgrades available for them both. Exedy has one that I know of.
And yes I know about the 1:1 7th gear.

Plus I'm keeping my twins, which won't be taxing it anyway.

B

PS: And I also know you MAY have to PERSUADE the trans tunnel on certain ones too. This wasn't meant to be a HOW-TO guide BTW.
Depends..

one might need slightly LESS or no coaxing if using the M3/M4 GS7D36BG (smaller bell housing) vs the bigger M5 GS7D36BG (much bigger bell housing).

·
Blue Thunder
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like I said Figgie...u nitpicking. I see you edited your post. I didn't FORGET the small stuff. I just didn't sweat it. You don't NEED the BMW shifter. U can use others. As well as the paddles, i do have them listed bruh. U see that link up there i posted? If you checked. You'd see those things listed.

This is becoming a common swap. S2k, RX7, BRZ, RX8. the info is there. I didn't make a HOW-TO post I asked who's doing it in the Supra community. Which someone SOULD be doing, since we are supposed to be the big dawgs ! LOL

And the GCU is a stand alone TCU not ECU. The Maxx ECU is a standalone that also controls the tranny. As per the websites.

·
Blue Thunder
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that i checked @figgie i do have the DS and paddles listed...if you bothered to read my post.
"
4. $200 for paddle shiters
5. $1250 for the HTG GCU tranny computer
6. $500-2000 for DCT

So for anywhere from $3-5k you can have a fully functioning 7 spd DCT in a MKIV !?!

All the rest is easy DIY stuff. Wiring the GCU to the Mecatronics in the trans. Mounting trans/DS/paddles. "

·
Super Moderator
11,393 Posts
I've been fascinated by a DCT swap since Whifbitz first announced it. Having driven a few DCT //M cars I felt like that was the future, and it's yet another BMW disappointment that the MKV got a slushbox instead of a DCT.

I will say that in 2014 my former shop became one of the first in the US to push and support the MaxxECU. The lack of option inputs and profoundly fucking bad support from the MaxxECU mothership left us less than impressed. Better to just jump into a Syvecs which also has DCT support.

Reactions: EUSup

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Like I said Figgie...u nitpicking. I see you edited your post. I didn't FORGET the small stuff. I just didn't sweat it. You don't NEED the BMW shifter. U can use others. As well as the paddles, i do have them listed bruh. U see that link up there i posted? If you checked. You'd see those things listed.

This is becoming a common swap. S2k, RX7, BRZ, RX8. the info is there. I didn't make a HOW-TO post I asked who's doing it in the Supra community. Which someone SOULD be doing, since we are supposed to be the big dawgs ! LOL

And the GCU is a stand alone TCU not ECU. The Maxx ECU is a standalone that also controls the tranny. As per the websites.

re-read.. i said you need a gear selector not that you needed a BMW gear selector (GWS in BMW lingo you know, for nitpicking sakes). HTG sells a nice gear selector.. Billet. Looks very cool. I have seen others use the Ferrari buttons or just make their own.

Hell I think someone has used the Canbus keypads from Greyhill (Motec) / Blinkmarine (ECUMaster) as a gear selector.

Clarification, the MAXXEcu sends the canbus messages to the OEM TCU (Infineon Tri-Core) but cannot change RPM points, Line pressures, clutch bite points etc without modifying the stock TCU. As a matter of fact, Maxxecu themselves recommends the HTG over the factory TCU control.

There is only one company that is working on an all in one unit (EMS + TCU) but there is lots to be deciphered as the DCT takes 10 power outputs by itself.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts

·
Blue Thunder
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On a related note.. I am not sure why US has been late to this party. The europeans have DCT'd just about everything to include small block chevy's.

Here is bartek talking about a different MKIV supra DCT

850WHP Supra mk4 runs DCT with HTG tuning GCU Gearbox Control Unit at VECTOR Custom & Service - YouTube
I was gonna show that one but he babies it shifting. Only thing good about that video is the dash he's running. I like how the gear shows for a second then disappears.

B

Reactions: figgie

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey I was the one that made that original post! Nice to see it back as a topic of discussion. I still want to do a DCT conversion to my Supra in the future. I'm just waiting for people with much more technical ability, time, and cash to do it and iron out the kinks 😅... Keep us updated on your build if you end up pulling the trigger and thanks for all the new info.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Another DCT Supra:

A 3.9 second 0-60 for a Supra without a drag setup on basically a country backroad is impressive.

Would be awesome to see one stateside.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,286 Posts
Forget dtc, I would love to see a zf8, that trans has the gearing to .make lag obsolete, and will take what ever you throw at it. The trans controller will work with this trans too. I really want to do one for my sc300 build, but have no time to so it and no desire to pay someone to learn on my dime.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts