Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into a project that's going to require a pretty crazy tranny (one capable of withstanding almost 1000RWHP). The problem is it has to be manual, and preferably a 6-speed.

After asking around a bit and finding out that a T56 will grenade and a Richmond might not be up to it, I figured a Getrag out of a MKIV Supra might handle it: since it seems to stand up fairly well to 600RWHP Supras (so I've heard)- maybe with a little beefing it can hold up to what I need.

My questions are:

• What would be needed to make the tranny hold this kind of HP and torque?
  • What kind of cost am I looking at for just the basic tranny, and the beefed-up one?
  • What is the availibility on these things? Can you find them used and rebuild them, or is it a new-part only kind of thing?
  • How much can I expect to pay for a custom flywheel (it won't be going in a Supra) and where can I find one?
Thanks in advance for any info/leads you guys can provide. :) And any other suggestions as far as manual transmissions that can take this kind of abuse woudl be appreciated as well. ;)

-Just a Fly On The Wall...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ELMTOYPARTS said:
a new trans from toyota is 5600.00 list--- whsle 4500.00

i've seen used 6spds go for around 2k.
All right- that gives me a good idea about cost. :)

What about the rest? Mods to handle the power? Availability? Flywheels?

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Fly On The Wall said:

All right- that gives me a good idea about cost. :)

What about the rest? Mods to handle the power? Availability? Flywheels?
Keith Ta has two 6 speed trannies laying around.

I'd pop in the RPS Carbon Cluctch that they talked about in Turbo Magazine this month or the AZ disk.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
badmuthrfkr said:
Keith Ta has two 6 speed trannies laying around.

I'd pop in the RPS Carbon Cluctch that they talked about in Turbo Magazine this month or the AZ disk.
How much for those clutches? And will they hold th epower I'm looking for? This is starting to come together rather nicely. :) And hello from a fellow denizen of Fazle's place. ;)

Still no word on beefing the tranny, though- don't the synchros tend to go out over ~700HP or so? :confused:

And I guess I'll have to look elsewhere on the flywheel issue- any links/email addresses/phone numebrs to getrag builders/repair shops?

Thanks again guys. :)

·
666 Posts
There's not really anyone out there to beef the tranny up... you can get it rebuilt by Jay Marks Toyota but that's about it. The syncros will be fine if you don't powershift often, other then that you should buy a race only transmission like a Lenco or G-force that don't have sncros to worry about.

Oops... that was supposed to be Jay Marks

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is nothing you can really do (nor need to) to the Getrag. They are "non-rebuildable" since Getrag doesn't sell parts but Jay Marks Toyota has some lines on replacement components they have made or source from various places.

Just stick it in the car, use the toyota factory oil (ONLY!) and have fun! I've rebuilt the Getrag so I know what's inside and I think the trans is stronger than the T56. It has huge input and output shafts to boot. You will need to use a Supra driveshaft flange though. Breaking it will depend if you get alot of traction. It should hold 1000hp.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JZ1 said:
There is nothing you can really do (nor need to) to the Getrag. They are "non-rebuildable" since Getrag doesn't sell parts but Jay Marks Toyota has some lines on replacement components they have made or source from various places.

Just stick it in the car, use the toyota factory oil (ONLY!) and have fun! I've rebuilt the Getrag so I know what's inside and I think the trans is stronger than the T56. It has huge input and output shafts to boot. You will need to use a Supra driveshaft flange though. Breaking it will depend if you get alot of traction. It should hold 1000hp.
The non-rebuildable part worries me, but I guess I can live with it. I just hope I don't spit pieces of it out the first time I nail the throttle....

Why would I need the Supra driveshaft flange? The tranny is not going to be in a Supra. ;) And what about the flywheel? Can I mate this thing to anything other than a 2JZ or am I SOL?

MADMKIV- I looked a the Lencos and GForces (Jericho, right?) but they don't look terribly streetable or friendly for cruising around town. :( Anything else?

Maybe I'm just REALLY pushing the limits of what's streetable here?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would I need the Supra driveshaft flange? The tranny is not going to be in a Supra. And what about the flywheel? Can I mate this thing to anything other than a 2JZ or am I SOL?
Because the output is a 4 bolt (studs) flange not a slip yoke. Otherwise you would have to make a yoke to join your u-joint to your driveshaft. Just use a factory piece.

The issue with the flywheel is the Getrag pulls on the clutch fork not pushes so you will most likely wind up needing to adapt a Supra flywheel to your crank. With an estimated 1000hp, I'd suggest getting an aftermarket Supra flywheel with the mounting hub unfinished so you can machine it to your crank's output flange. Rob at RPS should be able to make it.

What are you building anyway?!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JZ1 said:
Because the output is a 4 bolt (studs) flange not a slip yoke. Otherwise you would have to make a yoke to join your u-joint to your driveshaft. Just use a factory piece.

The issue with the flywheel is the Getrag pulls on the clutch fork not pushes so you will most likely wind up needing to adapt a Supra flywheel to your crank. With an estimated 1000hp, I'd suggest getting an aftermarket Supra flywheel with the mounting hub unfinished so you can machine it to your crank's output flange. Rob at RPS should be able to make it.

What are you building anyway?!
Gotcha. Doesn't sound terribly cheap, but it certainly sounds like a very reasonable way to go about it. Thanks for all the info- I really appreciate it.

As for what I'm building- well, it's in the budgetary/planning phases right now. I'm trying to work up a spreadsheet with all my costs and a timeline on it to get this thing moving. If the project goes ahead, I will definately be posting what it is when it's done, (or very, very close to ;)).

I'm kind of in uncharted territory right now though, so I don't want to say too much (nobody's shot for these power numbers with the platform I'm going to be working with). And as I look more and more into the project, it keeps getting pricier and pricier and taking longer and longer.....

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Be advised that any getrag with a solid mass flywheel will produce horrible chattering noises from the input shaft. They get really loud as the tranny heats up, mostly noticable at idle w/ a/c on and when engine braking.

I have 'heard' of people breaking trannies with unsprung clutches and discs like the HKS triple.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point. The factory clutch hub is soild and the flywheel is sprung. Installing a sprung clutch disk slows down the shift some since the syncros have more to speed up but it is smoother on the street. Not the end of the world though. The Supra also has a rubber union on the input of the rear to help reduce shock load further.

I think we're killin' this one. The car doesn't even exist yet!! I'm out :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts