Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the link to the thread where the thread starter posted a walkthrough for replacing a washer (or something) that supposedly got rid of the loud clunk/thud when shifting? I've been scouring the boards looking through the pages, but can't find it. It was started maybe 2-3 months ago (I think).

I posted on it thinking I would be able to search my previous posts under my username later, but it says I don't have permission to do that. :(

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
which clunk/thud are you talking about...
I know a perfectly healthy normal getrag 6 spd makes noises like its about to blow up..it will scare you if you arent used to it...

If your talkin about the large bang from shifting hard, its the rear diff. more then the trans makin the noise...

I know every single healthy 6 spd car i have ever driven has the thud when stopped putting it into first gear....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which clunk/thud are you talking about...
I know a perfectly healthy normal getrag 6 spd makes noises like its about to blow up..it will scare you if you arent used to it...

If your talkin about the large bang from shifting hard, its the rear diff. more then the trans makin the noise...

I know every single healthy 6 spd car i have ever driven has the thud when stopped putting it into first gear....
Whenever I shift ESPECIALLY into second and a little bit into third - it's usually minimal or gone by the time I'm shifting into forth, fifth, and sixth, but really prominant shifting from first to second, there's a loud THUD. The best noise I can think to compare it to would be a single pound on a deep/low bass drum or something (like the one you hit with your feet). Not only can you hear the thud, but you can feel it too.

I've never been in another Supra, but all the research I've done on the noise (forum searching) has led me to believe it's normal. It really sounds unnatural though, but that's what everyone says in the threads I've read, then the vets come and say, "yea that's normal Getrag noise".

Who knows, maybe I need to find another Supra owner in AZ and have them give me a ride or something to know the truth. There was a guy who wrote a thread that described the same noise and he had a "fix" for it that other people did and it seemed to work, so I wanted to give it a try this weekend, but now I can't find the thread.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
yeah i think every 6spd makes that noise...I notice it too..more so in the lower gears and it goes away in the higher gears...
mine isnt THAT noticable...Only time i can clearly hear it is when im dead stopped and i put the car in first..you hear the thud...that is normal...i notice it more when my trans is still cold...just make sure you dont shift hard when the trans is still cold...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
See, everyone says it's normal, but I swear there's a thread by a guy who supposedly eliminated the noise. I'd like to find it again, so I can give it a try.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I did it.
the original poster was damianhindley.
I just got four rubber washers from I think Lowes and shimmed the bottom of the rubber diff. mounts and it took up some of the play, but I still get a small thud everyonce in a while. In the near future I am going to try the titan cnc'd solid mounts.
If anyone can chime in on the solid mounts that would be cool.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
what up man? Damn it seems like there's more supra owners in arizona daily- what part of scottsdale are you in? My 6 speed won't be done with restoration for probably another 6 months now so no go on a ride, but I've been in a couple 6 speeds before and I can tell you whether or not it's normal. LMK

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what up man? Damn it seems like there's more supra owners in arizona daily- what part of scottsdale are you in? My 6 speed won't be done with restoration for probably another 6 months now so no go on a ride, but I've been in a couple 6 speeds before and I can tell you whether or not it's normal. LMK
Hey man, I'm in North Scottsdale (live and work), around Bell and Scottsdale road (Kierland Commons area).

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did it.
the original poster was damianhindley.
I just got four rubber washers from I think Lowes and shimmed the bottom of the rubber diff. mounts and it took up some of the play, but I still get a small thud everyonce in a while. In the near future I am going to try the titan cnc'd solid mounts.
If anyone can chime in on the solid mounts that would be cool.
Awesome, thanks, I PM'ed him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts