Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided im going to go with ccw classics. After a ton of looking I found some pictures of the polished finish on a black car and loved the way it looked. I am concidering the brushed finish, but need to see some pics on a black car, anyone have some?

The car is a 94' TT Auto, black on tan; downpipe, Tien HA's, and trd front strut brace. Im all about the twisties, but AM NOT INTERESTED IN MODIFYING THE FENDERS!.

I daily drive the car and dont do much tracking, so I really dont have a need for extreme width. Right now im thinking 265's up front and 285's in the rear. I think that would be a 18x9in wheel (maybe 18x9.5?) in the front and 18x10inch in the rear, let me know if those sizes are a good fit. Is there any reason for me to stay with a 17inch wheel in the rear since im not looking to go wider than 285?

Thats pretty much where my knowledge of wheels stops, I dont have a clue about offsets, spacers, and/or any alignment changes. Please help me out; the car is a daily driver that see's about 100miles of nice country roads every weekend. In regard to tires, the grip on my GS-D3's (oem sizes) is great, but the sidewalls could be stiffer.

Thanks to those that take the time to read my post and help me out.

-Davis Clark

·
Boost Junkie
12,688 Posts
CCW will take care of the offsets so no worries there.

What suspension are you running? Is your car lowered? How are the roads in your area?

Please give us more details.

Steve

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
speaking of which what is the widest wheel and offset that you can fit on the front of a supra?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My daily roads are mediocre, they have some bad spots, most of which can be dodged or avoided all together. There are no real potholes (a random hole in the road more than an inch deep). All of the roads that I drive hard on have perfect pavement; I will not drive hard on bad roads.

I have not messed with the ride height since I got the car, the first owner had it to low, the second owner raised it back up some, and it seems pretty clost to stock height to me. Can you take a measurement from somewhere for comparison?

MyKarIsVicious:
I am probably wrong, but I may remember hearing that 315 or 1 higher is the widest for non widebodys. I have seen 355's in the rear of a widebody down at titan.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My CCWs upfront are running 285s (10" rim width I think) and are fine :). The rear are 11.5" with 315s (stock body).

·
Registered
487 Posts
Oh I meant to imply I'm not widebody. Just have the inner lips of the fender rolled up. Took no time at all at a bodyshop, I recommend you do it. If for anything to look behind your car and see massive meat in your face its a nice feeling. :) I do recall and know you don't want to modify your fenders but the more meat on the back of my car the better I feel about driving my car.

Good luck with your decision man.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
Marc-P said:
My CCWs upfront are running 285s (10" rim width I think) and are fine :). The rear are 11.5" with 315s (stock body).

Is this in the classic/typical CCW fitment with 18" front and 17" rears, or are you 18's all around?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Currently I am 18"s all around but my 17"s (rears only) will be here this or next week with some GSD3s on it! Pilot Sports are not doing it for me at the moment.

·
Boost Junkie
12,688 Posts
You'll need the spacers if you have TT brakes. If not you are fine.

If you go with an 18 inch front wheel and your roads aren't great, I would have to recommend against the 285/30/18 combo that CCW makes. I would go with a 275/35/18 combo on an 18x10 inch front wheel. In the rears, it is up to you. You can do a 17x11.5 with a 315/35/17 (lots to choose from) or an 18X10 and some 295/35/18s also. It is all on what you are wanting. The 315 rear will require to roll the lip. A 295 shouldn't, but you'll be close.

I will recommend the BFG KDs though if you don't drive in a lot of rain. They really stick and also will hold a ton of power for a street tire.

Steve K.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'd choose your tire first and then the wheels to match. I have the 285/30/18 and 315/35/17 combo that John at CCW recommended with lightly filed front calipers to avoid using the spacer. This is a bad size though if you want to run R compounds in the future as there are very few choices. I'm not sure the CCW wheel is really even strong enough or recommended for prolonged use on the street. Go for taller sidewalls to make it easier on the wheel to absorb pot holes, and for appearance sake if the car isn't lowered. I'd think 265/295 might be a good combo and that's one that John also recommends IIRC. If you plan to lower the car don't go very tall on the front...my 285/30/18's are only 24.4" tall IIRC and they rub occasionally on the track. Here's a photo my black '94.

Bruce

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's a pretty soft wheel for street use easy to bend a rim, but for track they are great. The company stands behind the product they have hooked me up on bent rimsin the past.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Bruce: Thanks for the pics, that finalizes it. As long as the rims can/will stand up to street use, im 100% that ill go with the classics. Im glad you brought up the but about choosing tires first. The BFgoodrich KD's look like the best option; awsome value and they seem to be rated really well. BUT, they are limited in sizes and I would need to go with a 285f and 315 r combo.... i really dont feel like rolling my fenders and screwing up the 4 month old paint. Can you please fill me in on all the time, prodecures, and cost in fitting 285f and 315r ,17inch rears.

Bart: How did it work when you bent a rim? I have always heard that a repaired/widned rim will never be the same. Did ccw charge you (repair or replace?), if not, what did it cost you?

Damn, I wasnt aware of the structural integrity problems with street use, could this be resolved by using a 35 aspect ratio all around and slightly increased tire pressure? This might be good b/c I couldnt even find any 265/30/18 tires on tire rack, all are 35's. My roads arnt terrible but every now and then I go through some bumpy patches, but no holes or anything.

Im not too worried about using tires with no rain grip. I have 5 month old gsd3's in OEM sizes on the stock wheels, which I plan on keeping for prolonged bad weather. Maybe its just the OEM sizes, or the fact that I was used to the awesome sidewalls of the ecsta supra's in 245f and 265r, but the gs-d3's dont feel as crisp and responsive, they feel a little sloppy in really hard turns. But, they have amazing rain and dry grip.

I dont need anything wider than 295 in the rear; this is a daily driver that see's weekend action on good roads, and hopefully some track time at Barber in the next year or so. The car was hit earlier this year by an idiot in my high school parking lot in the drivers rear quarter pannel between the wheel and rear bumper, missed both by centimeters. Im not sure, but I am inclined against any fender modifications that might further weaken an already repaired quarter pannel; which limits me to 285's in the rear for a good fit.

Right now im thinking 265/35/18 front and 285/35/17or18 rear.
17inch rears seem like the best bet, better sizes, better price (tire and whels), and more protection for the wheel.

Thanks for all the help, keep it comming.

-Davis Clark

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is helpful, especially concidering that at the moment my dampning is pretty loose, which wouldnt help a tightly fit wheel. I have never done anything with suspension before and wouldnt feel goof about changing my setting myself without some help or a really good guide. I have Tien HA's (stock Tien springs, not the replacement stiffer ones.)
Evill Supra said:
You'll need the spacers if you have TT brakes. If not you are fine.

If you go with an 18 inch front wheel and your roads aren't great, I would have to recommend against the 285/30/18 combo that CCW makes. I would go with a 275/35/18 combo on an 18x10 inch front wheel. In the rears, it is up to you. You can do a 17x11.5 with a 315/35/17 (lots to choose from) or an 18X10 and some 295/35/18s also. It is all on what you are wanting. The 315 rear will require to roll the lip. A 295 shouldn't, but you'll be close.

I will recommend the BFG KDs though if you don't drive in a lot of rain. They really stick and also will hold a ton of power for a street tire.

Steve K.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I sent the rims back to CCW and they replaced the bent section free. Don't know what their policy is now.Wheels are perfect now.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I put 11,000 miles a year on my CCWs for the last 3 years. Its daily driven and I've never encountered issues for them but they are "soft". I did curb them and just had CCW replace the outer piece a few times. (18x11.5, 18x10 - 315/30/18, 285/30/18 respectively). Though, my Tein SS's are set almost fully stiff. But anyways, hope you get them!

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Latteboost said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to run a larger tire on the CCW (18x10 17x11.5) I am currently running 285f and 315r, but it almost looks like you would fit a wider tire on the rims.

Brian
In the rear I think you might be able to go slightly wider but tire selection is limited. The front I don't think I would go more than a 285. I occationally rub in the front on the fender lip when I hit large bumps (slammed low of course). Nots ure it's really needed to go much wider anyways.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My 315s on my 18s at the moment are flush with the car almost, but I can assume with 335s that it will fit no problem but will squeak against the car body on any slight dips :eek:

And ya Wes, I rub sometimes on any larger dips in the road on my fronts especially since I had some P Zeros on them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts