Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
V-TAKKK Just Kick'd In YO
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 93 Toyota Supra TT 6 Speed has a gear problem. It wount go in the 5th and 6th gear without moving atleast 1/2 an ince away from the side. I was thinking what is causing this problem. Do anybody knows whats wrong or any tips or anything about my problem? thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can you be a little more specific with your question? Not understanding what you mean when you say move it half an inch from the side.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
I think he means in order to shift to 5th he can't just throw the shifter all the way to the right and forward, instead he has to throw it *almost* all the way to the right, and then fwd. or it won't go in.

Mine was tight like that when I got it back from being rebuilt, but I don't know what it is. It's gotten a bit better though. If anyone knows what it is, I'd like to know too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I noticed this too. When I was working on my car, I temporarily removed the shifter boot and inner rubber boot and the effort required to put it into the 5-6 area decreased. Maybe the rubber boot is bunching up and causing this. Try temporarily removing this and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Here is the problem, and here is the fix!

The stock shifter bracket that holds the whole assembly together in 4 points on the trans has 2 points that are rubber bushings. These bushings fail and fall apart. When this happens the shifter bracket is able to move around more then it should and makes it hard to go into 5th. The bushings are not available directly from Toyota either. You have to buy the whole bracket!

So we have a specially CNC'd hard bushing that takes its place. The bushings make the bracket very stiff and shifting is greatly improved.

I had the same problem once upon a time and the bushings cured it entirely.

Hard bushing kits are $84.00 and are in stock all the time. Comes with all hardware needed.

They are the same for 6 speed and 5 speed. If anyone needs some just shoot me an e-mail directly.

Thanks

Ben

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Jedi, I posted on MKIV technical about how hard it is getting into 1st and 2nd gear.

I messed with the bushings, and they looked in pretty good condition looking at them.

What I did notice is the rod coming from the shifter towards the transmission has some play up and down, when i think it is only suppose to have left and right play( to swurve).

So I but the bushings and bracket together, but when I put in the shifter(the plastic piece at the bottom), I forgot the big round rubber bushing. Dumb as it seems, 2nd gear goes in like it used to. But now, first gear goes in, but I need to put in a tiny bit more effort. The rest of the gears work very well, shifts like butter.

I ordered a new rod from Curt just to have a new one and some new bushings anyways. I hope that gets rid of my problems and when I take it apart, I'll install a new bushing that goes under the shifter.

But if that's not the case, it is probably an internal problem.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
weird thing for me is I have a new bracket from Toyota (with new stock bushings) I've only been able to drive the car 600 miles since superbowl sunday this year and so everything is still tight. Mine's loosening up, but how often do you actually use 5th? At the rate I'm going it's not gonna loosen up quick, I just hope it keeps loosening up, though it's relatively easy to live with, I've already gotten used to shifting it.

to the original poster - does your tranny have a lot of miles or is it a new/fresh rebuilt one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts