Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Arrow
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I after I pass the safety course here shortly I am looking at getting my first bike.

A couple of my close friends suggest I get an 04-06 Yamaha R6.

I was thinking about getting a GSX-R before they said that but I am not too sure.

Is the R6 a good choice?

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
well, being your first bike, alot of people suggest starting on something a little les... potent lol

the r6 and gsxr sport bikes are NOT very forgiving.
i started on a 600 gsxr, and i almost wish i hadnt. it doesnt take much to accidently go full throttle and mess up, and hurt youself.

IF you do start on something like that, i hope you buy a helmet and full set of gear right along with the bike. just in case.

and im being nice on ya, as soon as one of the truly knowledgeable guys come around im sure they are going to tell you to look at something not sport/super bike orientated, and considerably smaller.

best of luck to you either way, youll enjoy it no matter what, its a blast :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
I didn't read the sticky either, so it might cover all this, but go sit on some bikes and get a feel for what's comfortable for you.

Example: I have an R6 and my buddy has a CBR600RR. I like the R6 better because it sits higher than his bike and I have longer legs. The throttle also seems more "twitchy" on the R6 - at least on mine versus his.

Anyway, there are other reasons to base your decision on, but how it feels when you sit on it and riding position is an important factor.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I started on a 07 rs6. its a remake of the 05 r6. I liked the bike, but found my supra more fun, thus its being sold Friday. Good luck. For me the bike had no real tq at low rpm so for getting used to the bike i would keep it in a high gear. Then as i progressed i would ride the rpms out. However like others have said watch your ass if you go over 12,000. it get very very fast real quick. And adult who is smart and wise i think could handle it easy. But if you have a wild side then you might want to pass. Also i have a bit of dirt bike experience so that helped just a small bit.

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
get a gs500 or a cheap triumph speed4 for a season and then upgrade next year

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
But the R6 is already cheap. It is only like $5k on average.

I have a lot of thinking to do haha
its not about cheap when its your first bike.
on an r6 or gsxr, even the 600s, a bump in the road or your foot falling off the peg, and your hand accidently cranking the handle even a smidge more than you anticipate for... the results can be painful. not to mention expensive. even deadly, if your moving quick enough.

i putted around town my first 2 months on my gsxr 600 ( NEVER RIDDEN A BIKE BEFORE THAT ), i never took it over 5-6k rpms, i had a few accidents where i accidently grabbed too much brake, and almost tipped, and once or twice where i gave it more throttle then i shoulda. not sure about the r6, but on my gsxr, as soon as i hit 7k ( even on accident ) the fucker picked up the front, and scared me shitless.

i still have alot to learn, but i did learn that a gsxr or similar bike was a poor choice to start on.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I started on a 07 rs6. its a remake of the 05 r6. I liked the bike, but found my supra more fun, thus its being sold Friday. Good luck. For me the bike had no real tq at low rpm so for getting used to the bike i would keep it in a high gear. Then as i progressed i would ride the rpms out. However like others have said watch your ass if you go over 12,000. it get very very fast real quick. And adult who is smart and wise i think could handle it easy. But if you have a wild side then you might want to pass. Also i have a bit of dirt bike experience so that helped just a small bit.

shoulda got a 1000cc then. trust me..there's plenty of torque there. my supra is still down and i dont miss it much cos the CBR is plenty good enough.

·
Registered
728 Posts
shoulda got a 1000cc then. trust me..there's plenty of torque there. my supra is still down and i dont miss it much cos the CBR is plenty good enough.
Yeah but its just not that, I liked the bike but I only used it to ride to work most of the time. I really hated all the gear, yes I know you have to wear it all. But going from the messing around on a dirt bike to the fullface helmit i was wearing kind of killed the free feeling for me. I felt the targa of the supra was more free feeling than the fullface. And I really wanted to play safe so that all I would wear. I might try a 1000cc later down the road but for now im going to keep with the supra

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Yeah but its just not that, I liked the bike but I only used it to ride to work most of the time.
I'm not surprised you tired of a sport bike if you were just riding it to work... out of its element.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i putted around town my first 2 months on my gsxr 600 ( NEVER RIDDEN A BIKE BEFORE THAT ), i never took it over 5-6k rpms, i had a few accidents where i accidently grabbed too much brake, and almost tipped, and once or twice where i gave it more throttle then i shoulda. not sure about the r6, but on my gsxr, as soon as i hit 7k ( even on accident ) the fucker picked up the front, and scared me shitless.
I've honestly never understood statements like this. Granted, I've never been on a GSXR, but it takes nearly an act of God to power up my R6 (with stock gearing). Same thing on my buddy's CBR600RR. I have to clutch it up on both bikes. Sure, I can roll off and roll on the throttle HARD while shifting weight and suspension to get the front end up on a powerup, but it seems to take so much effort I wonder how in the hell people are "accidentally" doing it on a 600. Of course again, I'm talking about stock gearing.

Not to call BS, but when I hear people saying things like "as soon as I hit xRPM, the front end comes up", I have to wonder if they really even ride, or if they weigh 50 lbs.

I agree with what Damien said somewhere above - something about a smart and wise adult being able to handle a 600 pretty easily. In my opinion, it doesn't take much skill to learn to ride the bike, brake, turn, etc. The skill comes into play when something on the street goes wrong and you need to react quickly.

riding a sportbike in-town/commuting is like a fish out of water.
I respectfully disagree! I ride my R6 to and from work (40 mile commute each way). Being able to ride instead of driving to work makes my commute MUCH more enjoyable, but to each their own.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pretty much any 600 has no trouble at all power-wheelieing 1st gear "accidentally". I'm not going to go into a ton of detail but it's just the combination of things that happen to noobs that makes it work. Whatever it is that initiates it, missed shift, not paying attention, whatever, usually the noob ends up with a chop followed by full throttle, so the bike does a violent rock back-forth, sending the noob's hundred-pound body as far back as his arms will let him, and you get a jerk back on the handlebars right as the front end of the bike is springing up from the chop/mash. It's the same principle as clutching up but way more violent and way less controlled. And it doesn't always mean wheelie, sometimes it just means losing one hand, losing a foot, or just losing balance, and next thing you know you're picking the grass out of your sandals and have no idea why.

Stuff happens fast on a bike and happens 10x faster on a supersport.

I've had this discussion a billion times with noob riders and every time I say get a Ninja 500, GS500, even an SV650 or Ninja 650 (the new parallel twin), they're just way easier to learn to ride. Ninja 500s can be had dirt cheap and re-sold for what you bought it for. All you need is something to get you over the initial couple-of-thousand-miles and then get whatever the heck bike you like, save yourself the $$ and pain of your first crash on a supersport.

I'm not going to tell you that you CAN'T start on a supersport, you can do whatever you want, but what you will learn about riding a bike in 2 months on a GS500 will take you 8 months on the GSXR because you'll spend the first 6 either shitting your pants and never go over 20% throttle, or you'll spend them in ICU.

As far as your question about the R6, the '06-up R6 is a way more difficult to ride machine than the '05-down R6 or the R6S, and any of the 600s from about 05-up are pretty much in the same general ballpark in terms of how "good" they are.

Oh last thing, WEAR GOOD GEAR, WEAR IT ALL THE TIME. Take it from experience, a good helmet and leathers will save your ass, check me out, still smiling after a 120mph trip to the ambulance at the WERA Endurance race at Roebling Road last year, thanks to good gear:

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have always liked the r6 i had a 06 and did like it..

i also had a 05 GSXR 600.. b4 the new body i still to this day say it was by far my fav bike, also had a 06 600 and i liked the 05 much better .. a 600 is a lot of bike so ride safe buddy

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
I suggest an SV650S.

Plenty of fun, and sporty. Just more TQ than up top power.

I have rode dirtbikes growing up, and my SV650 is my first street bike. I am on my second or 3rd year now, and still enjoy riding it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts