Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've decided to get new tires as my pirelli' P-zero's seem to be dying on the front, so I've been checking out tires, review's and I've decided on 3 types so far. I plan to hit the road course a couple time this summer but the driving will be mostly city with some high speed merges/cloverleafs, etc.

I have the stock rims, atm have 255's on the front (Pirelli), and 275's on the rear (Falkens)

I want 4 of the same tire so I was considering:

Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance

Nitto NT-01

(possibly the nt 555's on the front, and NT-01's on the rear)

or Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S

I do live in canada, so before I put it away for the winter or when I bring it out, It battles "colder" weather, never snow or anything, but some-what colder streets at times. I also hear the yoko's wear fast, so I was straying away from them.

I dont want to pay an arm and a leg, but know I'll pay a reasonable amount for 4 good tires. Any advice or other suggested tires would be great

Also, Is 255 in the front and 275 in the rear better for cutting lines, or should I be going with 275's all around for better contact patchs? Or even 265/275?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I definitely wouldn't go larger than a 255 on the stock front wheel; other than R compound tires which are stiffer and can better withstand cramming a 255 on stock front wheel, I stayed with 245's on front and 275 on rear; imo limited by the wheel sizes.

I had a set of MX's and I liked them too, but I sold them to somebody here before they were even half worn since I bought 18" wheels then.

I wouldn't mix the Nittos you listed, use the same tires all around; the drag racing crowd mix since they run drag radials on back. The NT01's are way stickier than the 555's, but probably wear faster ...not sure I never owned them, and to me the NT01's seem less suited to a lot of street driving though they are much better on the track. I wonder if on a cold day on a cold road, whether the NT01's wouldn't get too hard and slippery? not sure but they are a mild R compound.

The high end Bridgestone's are good too if they're in your price range.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Khumo MX's are a great tire for the money...

what profile tires do you run up front? 255/??/17?
stock rims, so if im correct - 255/40/17

I've never considered tires a high priority just got "decent" ones and called er' good. How-ever now I want to change that.

I'll stick with 255 in the fronts then, Just have to pick a type of tire

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
stock rims, so if im correct - 255/40/17

I've never considered tires a high priority just got "decent" ones and called er' good. How-ever now I want to change that.

I'll stick with 255 in the fronts then, Just have to pick a type of tire
If I were you I would back it down to 245's up front. I bet that 255's have the same or worse contact patch than the 245's, as the wheel is to narrow for that wide of a tire. When I can find them, im getting two more rear wheels to put up front, which will be wrapped in 255's (275's on the rear).

Check out the goodyear eagle gsd3's. awesome tire, great wear.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
don't mix tires front to back. of any brand or name sake.

r compounds stink for street driving. And the NT01s will be horrible if it ever rains where you are. So I'd steer clear of them. They will also wear faster than anything you listed.

I would look at the
Kumho MX
Yoko Neova
BFG KD
Goodyear GSD3s

I've never been on the bridgestone, but have heard good things about them.

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
The new Bridgestones RE01-R are supposed to be nice but only avail. up to a 245 to my knowledge. I have the older S03 for street/track HPDE use and like them but they need some heat to grip well.

The 255 on a 8" wheel does sound oversized. Fwiw, I run a 255/40 rear on a 10" and 235/40 on 9" front. Undersized but gives better transition and great control.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those other brands. The 255 fits fine on my front, doesnt overlap, its a little less then flush with the rim.... with the Falken's, the 275 IS flush with the rim...

heres a pic...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yokohoma AVS ES100- I just like Yokos a little better. The treadwear is less than the Kumho's. Great all around tire, and smooth for everyday driving. Not good in winter though.

Kumho MX- Choice of most auto-x'ers. An excellent gripping tire, but they are so soft that they wear out quickly (in my experience). Pretty cheap for it's performance.

Falken Azenis- Had no actual experience with these, but hear they are excellent. A little more pricey than the two competitors. I hear they perform well and have great grip.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
The ES100 is a horrible dry tire. I strongly recommend avoiding it.

I love my Kumho Ecsta MX's on the Volvo, but they certainly do wear fast. Cheap though.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
I was recommended BFG g-force T/A KD's 255F 275R when I made a similar thread. Don't know why I'm seeing different replies now.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
I was recommended BFG g-force T/A KD's 255F 275R when I made a similar thread. Don't know why I'm seeing different replies now.
I have heard the Kumhos have the same level of traction for cheaper. The KDs are supposed to kick ass -- agreed.

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
It may be differenbt people repying and/or with different experiences since then. I am going with the F1 GS D3 or PS 2's next. I currently have SPO3's and I get caught in quick showers down here so I need the rain help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts