Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,,
well im getting ready to do a turbo kit for my bone stock na 97 supra but i have to admit im getting a little confused by everything so for you guys out there that have done it what do i need to do before i get the kit. i want to make around 600-700 at the wheels eventually but im just kinda lost on how to move foward i know i want to use a turbonetics gt-k turbo but thats about all i got. so any info on where i should start or what parts to go with before i get the kit woud be greatly aprecciated thanks in advance for all the help.mobdro lucky patcher kodi

·
Registered
33 Posts
Remember, there is much more to plan and purchase than the turbo kit itself. I know that's confusing when starting out. And I think a lot of people are mislead by companies selling kits because you'd think you buy a turbo kit, and you're good to go. Not the case. What a turbo kit generally is, is the hard parts of the system. The turbo, and Intercooler piping that fits the car etc. A manifold that fits and connects to the stock exhaust or provides a downpipe to cut and weld to.

To be real, you will find that you will be spending more money on the fuel system and tuning equipment than the turbo kit. Plus a multitude of ins and outs you will run into. I'd suggest reading up on everything you can and really understand how a proper kit is set up and works. You need to know why injectors need upgraded, the need for a good regulator, the need for a good stand alone ECU. Tons of custom work. Understand boost controllers, oil catch cans, and the various systems. All will need routed correctly. You'll need gauge sets, wideband o2, several sensors for the ECU to run off of, all plumbed and wired correctly.

Don't get me wrong. It's a worthy task and exhilarating reward. But make sure you understand what you are getting into.

·
Registered
1993 Supra NA-T
40 Posts
I purchased the first part for my NA-T a little under a year ago. The car is currently in pieces and the head is getting machined for valvetrain components. I planned an Excel spreadsheet for about a year before I even purchased anything. That spreadsheet told me it would cost me about $3500 all in to get the car running and boosting. While you can potentially do it for that price, i'm now $4k into the build. After tallying up, I am going to need another $4k to have the car tuned and roadworthy. It's a serious fucking undertaking and not as simple as slapping a turbo on. I'm more than happy to answer questions, but I am not google. You need to do research and understand the components before you start digging in.

·
From the land down under
3,878 Posts
This ^

When I did my NA-T conversion 13 years ago, I had what I thought was the most detailed list of costs I was facing, but as time went on, it balooned out to over double my worst case estimate.

I now refer to an NA-T conversion as the 3,2,1.

It will take 3 times longer than you had hoped, it will cost double what you had budgeted, and you will only do it once. All said tongue in cheek, but just make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you dive in head first

Goodluck :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts