Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry its taken a few days.. I was asked to put this thread here instead of mucking up the SIV 2016 thread.. sorry for spelling/grammar/formatting. . Doing this on my phone.

i am ttrying to make my car ready for the drive to vegas later this year. I am currently worried about a few things that may keep me from making that trip and I was hoping maybe someone in az and more specifically phoenix/glendale might be able to help me out just a little bit. I currently have no tags because I failed emissions. Based on what the emissions guys told me is that I have an *obvious exhaust leak*.. I tested my exhaust the only 2 ways I know how and created a vacuum and blew smoke over all junctions looking for suction and 2nd I blocked my exhaust tip with a rag and got soapy water and went along looking for air bubbles.. saw nothing.. so I got a wideband 02 sensor and saw I was running 9.0 afr and started adjusting tps and what not.

I replaced plugs, wires, factory o2, adjusted tps, swapped idle speed control and maf to help smooth idle and raise my afr.. nothing happened. I just bougjt 550cc injectors from another user on this forum and found a lexus afm and put those on and it MIGHT be corrected now. I turned my car on only for a minute to check for leaks because if it idles too long my neighbors call the cops on me for *disturbing the peace*.. but in that minute or so my afr was floating between 14 and 15.2

im also a bit worried about the car making the drive just because I have done all the work to it thus far and quite frankly dont trust my own abilities.. having someone who knows the car a bit better looking it over would make me feel a little better.

I also have no brake lights/turn signals. I took out the failure box and tried jumping the lines which gave me running lights but did nothing for brake/turn. I replaced every fuse in the car just because I had enough to do them all.. I tried checking for power at the fuse when depressing the brake.. nothing.. replaced bad brake switch still nothing.. I dont know what else to do or try.. p/o had some funky wiring that I dont understand either..

last but not least I need to find the buttons for the doors for windows and or motors and actuators so that I can roll my windows up. They have been stuck down since I bought the car.

·
2,275 Posts
Make sure you post on AzSupras as well, there are some more people out in Glendale/Phoenix area.

·
Registered
454 Posts
On a 7MGTE, having the TPS set correctly is very important. I know it is a tough task since it is so sensitive and hard to reach the bottom screw, so I suggest you remove the throttle body from the intake and adjust the TPS with it off the car, this allows you to easily tighten the bottom screw. Use an analog multimeter, not a digital one.

Also, the TSRM is your best friend: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/

Turn signals and brake lights... you might have messed up the connections when trying to bypass the failure sensor box. However, I think the brake lights and the turn signals are on the same circuit as the flashers, if the flasher switch is not hooked up then the whole circuit goes open loop and doesn't work. Check and make sure the flasher switch in the dash is connected. Could also be the relay in the driver side kick panel.

Windows... I don't follow what you are saying... you don't have the switches? or you know the motors are bad?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive adjusted the tps to what I understand as correct. I dont have an analog meter to use though. I will recheck and make sure I bypassed the failure box correctly and I will post some pics of the wiring under the dash.. p/o had an alarm and stuff that confuses me plus the just hacked most of the wiring for it out.

my window buttons on my doors are brittle and breaking.. so im not sure if I just need the buttons replaced or the motors and actuators as well because ive never been able to test them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just went and redid my smog tests.. While they didn't auto fail me like they did the first time.. I still failed horribly.. I need to look into what would cause these issues, but if you have some idea's off hand please let me know.

HC in grams / mile *mine* 4.22 *acceptable* 1.60
CO in grams / mile *mine* 102.18 *acceptable* 15.00
NOX in grams / mile *mine* 1.47 *acceptable* 2.50

The CO I am wondering if it is because of my down pipe.. I have a divorced down pipe that exhausts to the street instead of meeting back into the remaining exhaust system.. Would this cause an "exhaust leak" like symptom driving my CO numbers so high?

·
Registered
102 Posts
It sounds like the car is still running really rich. Were you able to see the AFR's during the test?

Did you replace the coolant temp sensor yet? I would try re-adjusting the TPS again like Demon suggested. I believe the TSRM also should have the correct values so you can test the TPS to make sure it is still good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Things I have done to bring AFR's up.. I have replaced plugs, wires, o2 sensor, coolant temp sensor, and adjusted the TPS like 4 times.. The damn TPS is so sensitive though.. Not sure I have had it correct one time yet.. The only thing I haven't done that has been suggested to me is to dbl check the timing of the motor.. Not sure how much that would help?

Yes I was able to watch my AFR during test.. They are about 14.2-15.3 on cold start idle.. Warm idle down around 13.0.. Under any kind of load it goes even more rich to about 10.2 or so.

·
2,275 Posts
Any update?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts