Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just FYI.... We just got Marco's car on a dyno with the new setup. At 25 psi on the NOS (175 hp kit) the new SP66 made 785 RWHP and 680 ft lbs. Not too bad for an automatic!! Soon we will try 30 psi and see what we get.

By the way, last year when Marco ran the 9.83 at 141, the car dynoed at 670 rwhp.

Lar
SP

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Strong numbers. When and where are they racing, Texas?

This will be very interesting.

How far past the 1/4 can Marko spray (if you can say ;))?

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Hrmmmmm, darren made 765 rwhp and ran a 142 trap, how did marko run 141 with only 680 rwhp?

·
Super Big D. Moderator
1,078 Posts
yeah..that doesnt sound right ethan. MPH is determined through HP to the wheels.
a 800 hp motor in a car with HUGE drive train loss making say 600 rwhp VS the same motor in a car with light drive train loss say 750 rwhp wont run the same traps.
I could see marko out ETing darren but not out mphing him.. its rule of thumb. Auto cars ET, 6 speed cars MPH.

It does seems kinda strange that marco pulled 141 mph on 670 rwhp and no one else seems to be able to do this with a street supra. Most 670 rwhp supras i have seen MPH around 136.

This should be an intersting race.
what weight reduction (if any) is done to marcos car? What does it weigh?

cant wait to see the race

S

·
0 Posts
Great #'s, and he is the man to turn them into the #'s that matter-on the track!

Good luck!

P.S. The new SP66 is much better (I drove Coop's car). I guess that trim I have DOES work...

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
So, when is the race? Details man!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Darren also ran ~140 on 1.66 KG/CM^2, I doubt he was making 765 rwhp at that boost level. Congrats on the #'s...

Dylan

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does seems kinda strange that marco pulled 141 mph on 670 rwhp and no one else seems to be able to do this with a street supra. Most 670 rwhp supras i have seen MPH around 136.

[/QB]

That cant be right, Cooper ran 134-135 trap speeds with only 580 rwhp in an auto. Unless the autos trap higher due to their outstanding 60' times??

Lar

·
Registered
205 Posts
Larry,

I think it may have a lot to do with how much nitrous that you guys run.. this gives you a big "area under the curve" advantage

Dylan

·
100% Stock
124 Posts
Hey how is it going Larry! The car sounds like it's running great. I was also wondering about how far you could spray in the race. I figure anything over 15 seconds would be dangerous as it would really raise cylinder temps up. I figured you all would go with a smaller shot with a hobbs switch or something to that effect, and a 100 shot and cut it off once the turbo was @10psi or so, and run a larger turbo. Not that the SP66 turbo is small, it isnt, but i figure that with the race being a mile the emphasis would be on top end. You all should have the advantage launching regardless being an auto vs 6-speed, and due to the viper probably going to have to somewhat "granny" it off the line due to the immense torque delivered off idle. So why not use a bigger turbo??? You all have an SP70, and also an SP90 if i remember. I was just wondering why the bigger turbo wouldnt be an advantage in a race that is this length. Any info is good info, i'm always trying to learn more, and you(Lar) are one of the "big guns"! So info from you would be great.

·
0 Posts
One thing you might want to remember is that when you spin enough, you lose trap speed as well. I spin through 1st and catch traction at the end of 2nd. My 1/8 time and mph aren't that great.

And I estimate I was making about 700 rwhp when I ran my 141 trap. This was like one time at the track with decent Nitto drag radials.

·
Run me on Nuts...
38 Posts
I Believe the key to the Race for Marko will be putting cars off the line. He's not trying to match Horsepower or whatever with hennessey...He's Trying to use the advantage of the Auto and put 3-4 Cars on him @ the Line...This way whatever the 6-Speed makes up in the mile will be negated by the lead he put on him in the beginning.

Suprdave

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by White_lightning:
<STRONG>yeah..that doesnt sound right ethan. MPH is determined through HP to the wheels.
a 800 hp motor in a car with HUGE drive train loss making say 600 rwhp VS the same motor in a car with light drive train loss say 750 rwhp wont run the same traps.
I could see marko out ETing darren but not out mphing him.. its rule of thumb. Auto cars ET, 6 speed cars MPH.

This should be an intersting race.
what weight reduction (if any) is done to marcos car? What does it weigh?

cant wait to see the race</STRONG>
I dyno'd at only 560 rwhp yet still managed 133 mph trap speed on an auto Supra. With 110 rwhp more (the 670 that Marco was acheiving), I would also expect to run 140+ traps. If a six speed car is dyno'ing 750+ at the wheels and not able to run 140+ traps, there must be some issues with either the car (slipping clutch?), the driver or the dyno.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cooper,

Darren has a point. cars with severe traction will trap lower, as they have less distance to accelerate.

Dylan

·
Run me on Nuts...
38 Posts
Wont an Auto:
Shift Faster - Less Speed Drop
Shift with Boost
Accelerate Faster (Launching with Boost)- Higher Traps

This would all contribute to the high traps.
Enough to makeup for the drivetrain loss of the Stall.

Suprdave

·
0 Posts
Note again that I was also running less than full power. There is a difference on what you can make on the street/dyno, and what you can run at the track. In my case, full boost or NOS will cause my clutch to slip. So I take it easy. No one granny shifts better than me!

Getting off the line will help, but in a long race like this one, I might prefer the top end advantage. Doubtful either will be running slicks in a race that will likely top 200 mph. Marko will still have a nice advantage on the launch, and hopefully it will be enough.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts