Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to post a couple of pics of the car I picked up a few months back and am finally getting started on. I've been reading posts here forever waiting to get started. It's an 89 Turbo 5MT that I had watched sit in a yard for around two years. It looks a bit rough around the edges, and I have no idea what shape the motor is in, but hey, for what I bought it for, it's worth it to gamble. I'm definitely going 1JZ in it at some point though, so what shape the 7M is in doesn't really matter all that much.

Notice that hanging exhaust? Meh, that doesn't matter. This thing is going to be a long project, but considering I bought it for $500, I think I'm starting out with money still in the bank. Looking forward to seeing more people's cars. First thing is replacing the fuel tank, because it turns out that sitting half full of gas doesn't leave the tank in the best condition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$500? Geezus!
I know right? An old family friend just had it sitting around, but I had to work him for years to get the price down. I bought it, despite knowing the 7M doesn't run, thinking that the shell and the R154 are worth more than that.

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
214 Posts
I mean holy shit! :p The parts alone are worth several thousands, not that I would want to see it parted out.

As for the 7M, find out what's wrong with it first. For non-Supra minded people, the car just becomes a boat anchor and the engine a mystery. Assuming they didn't throw a rod racing it, it's probably the run of the mill common problems. (BHG etc.)

Does it crank and just won't start, or not even?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean holy shit! :p The parts alone are worth several thousands, not that I would want to see it parted out.

As for the 7M, find out what's wrong with it first. For non-Supra minded people, the car just becomes a boat anchor and the engine a mystery. Assuming they didn't throw a rod racing it, it's probably the run of the mill common problems. (BHG etc.)

Does it crank and just won't start, or not even?
To be honest, I bought the car without a battery in it! It’s also got a rusted through muffler, a clutch that was stuck to the floor and an e-brake that doesn’t seem to be connected. I’m replacing the tank when it comes in, then I’m going to drop a battery, spark plugs, injectors, and fluids in it, and see where we’re at. I’ll keep you updated. I’m the most concerned about electrical problems really.

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
214 Posts
Cool. Curiosity would get the better of me. I'd pull a battery out of another car just to be able to turn the ignition on and test anything electrical.

Changing the plugs you'll have to pull all the air induction stuff off the top of the engine. If its been sitting for a while, that will suck because brittle rubber will of course break off. You can at least pull the 1st one out to get an idea of what they will look like.

Check to see if the whole exhaust is rusted. If it is, that could point to a blown head gasket that I'm guessing came from running it too much with coolant leaking in. (long time ago) . Mine fell the that fate early on but runs fine now.

I'd be interested to see if at least turns over, and also what the oil looks like. Chocolate milk points again to BHG.

But, I'm guessing you have time (y) :)

Laterz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts