Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on vacation
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend just told me about this.

Take radiator cap off when cool. Top off radiator. Start up and let idle. Immediately place a balloon over the radiator cap (obviously a large balloon). It'll begin to inflate with even a slight BHG.

Just thought I'd share.
 

·
Republican
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
ummmm, hmmmmmm never thought of that.... anyone elses opinons?
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Eh air can somtime get in the radiator and cause air bubbles (waterfall under the hood) sound comes, I dont belive that trick works.
 

·
on vacation
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KTLSupra said:
Eh air can somtime get in the radiator and cause air bubbles (waterfall under the hood) sound comes, I dont belive that trick works.
can cause bubbles but not pressurized. BHG creates an increased pressure system.
 

·
on vacation
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the idea is to do while the engine is still reletively cool. If exhaust is escaping into the cooling system it won't matter, it should start to inflate the balloon long before heat could cause any expansion....but I dunno...I haven't tried it. I will tomorrow, though, I've definitely got a gasket on it's way out again...again...
 

·
No Kermit No!
Joined
·
210 Posts
it works, I have a partially blown headgasket for a while, so every once in a while I leave the cap off and start the car, it just bubbles away. Not big ones mind you, but constant bubbling. god damn headgaskets.
GREG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,075 Posts
Krazy_ken said:
will condoms work
:lol: but no it wont work... nor will a balloon. Just like MA71supraturbo said, the cooling system is pressurized even with no hydrocarbons being blown into it. That is why coolant temperatures can be higher than 100°C and not boil.
 

·
27836-12121
Joined
·
1,310 Posts
makenzie71 said:
Friend just told me about this.

Take radiator cap off when cool. Top off radiator. Start up and let idle. Immediately place a balloon over the radiator cap (obviously a large balloon). It'll begin to inflate with even a slight BHG.

Just thought I'd share.
FOCKING OWESOME

You just BLEW MY BALLOON
 

·
on vacation
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hawkeye said:
:lol: but no it wont work... nor will a balloon. Just like MA71supraturbo said, the cooling system is pressurized even with no hydrocarbons being blown into it. That is why coolant temperatures can be higher than 100°C and not boil.
Let me try to explain this again....

It doesn't matter if the cooling system is designed to be pressurized. It has to warm up before it builds pressure, right? Ever see how long it takes the car to warm while idling? 10 minutes will start to inflate the balloon noticably, but is no where near enought time for the coolant it's self to build pressure.
 

·
The Great Kruso
Joined
·
3,876 Posts
makenzie71 said:
Friend just told me about this.

Take radiator cap off when cool. Top off radiator. Start up and let idle. Immediately place a balloon over the radiator cap (obviously a large balloon). It'll begin to inflate with even a slight BHG.

Just thought I'd share.
The easier way of telling if you have a BHG is start the car when the radiator is topped off. If you see alot of fine bubbles popping up that NEVER end, you know you have a bad head gasket. The reason why that happens is the compression out of the piston chambers is leaking into the water channel due to a BHG. You dont really need a balloon to find out but whatever floats your boat man. I've got five head gasket off of different cars including a camry and a previa along with a couple of 7Ms hanging off my wall that "tested" positive and sure enough were bad.

Kruso
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,907 Posts
Whatawookie said:
The fact that coolant's boiling temperature is well over 100°C might have something to do with it as well ;)
coolant boils at less than 100degrees C if I recall correctly. The anti-freeze you add to lubricate seals, and keep it from cracking radiators in the winters, actually lowers the specific heat capacity, and I believe lowers the boiling point slightly.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top