Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I have said it before and I'll say it again: if the product really was that beneficial, it would be OEM equipment in all cars.

G

·
Nocheez said:
I have said it before and I'll say it again: if the product really was that beneficial, it would be OEM equipment in all cars.

i would like to change that up a bit. how aboutif the product was that beneficial,everyone would have it. we sure could have used a mhg as oem,which would have been beneficial.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
gimmick.

no electrical component is 100% effiicent. so putting a capacitor inline w/ your spark plug wire is going to take some energy to charge the capacitor, some of that energy turns into heat. on top of that, it takes TIME charge the capacitor and wait for it to fill to capacity before it discharges and passes the current.

its definitly not what i want to have going on in my ignition.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
supraboy1 said:
i would like to change that up a bit. how aboutif the product was that beneficial,everyone would have it. we sure could have used a mhg as oem,which would have been beneficial.
Regular gaskets are used in many cars. The headgasket with proper torque has lasted for 400+ HP, so I don't think the MHG would be necessary for OEM.

If all it took was a spark plug to lower emissions and increase power/mpg, then the manufacturers would be all over them. Same thing with the tornado and fuel line magnets.

·
Registered
189 Posts
flubyux2 said:
gimmick.

no electrical component is 100% effiicent. so putting a capacitor inline w/ your spark plug wire is going to take some energy to charge the capacitor, some of that energy turns into heat. on top of that, it takes TIME charge the capacitor and wait for it to fill to capacity before it discharges and passes the current.

its definitly not what i want to have going on in my ignition.
:agreed:

I doubt the capacitor would have time to recharge between every spark.

·
Union Proud
656 Posts
^I would agree with you. It seems good in theory, but if it's supposedly reaching 500amps, 10,000 times a regular spark plug, it's going to have to charge 10,000 times faster, which means your battery will have to charge 10,000 faster to stay at the same power level. Granted, that's peak, but I don't like the principle of the whole thing. Especially up at higher RPM's, I doubt when your engine was really pumping that your electrical/ignition system could keep up with the power demands to 6 or 8+ cylinders with all that charge.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Actually, the capacitor would be fully charged upon startup of the engine. That being the case, it would only need to be charged as fast as it discharges and only with as much amperage as being discharged. If the capacitor was made to hold more than it needed to discharge per spark, and could maintain a steady charge, it might be possible. Otherwise how would caps in stereo systems be beneficial?Albeit, stereo systems don't hit max constantly, but nevertheless.

Anyway, wouldn't using something like this be just another way of upgrading your ignition system?? More voltage/amperage = greater spark. Pretty much makes this obsolete at that price.

·
Union Proud
656 Posts
^Good point Chrisco, but after a few drags or a long sprint, I wouldn't trust it to have my battery at 100%. It COULD work, but personally I wouldn't trust it. Everyone does fine without it, why bother until it's proven and/or I get some more info on the Farad capacity, it also might be tough to run with a big system or extra electronics, like in-car computers or lots of stuff running off your battery. I don't think a standard 14v could deal with a capacitor in-line its ignition system as well as running an onboard computer/AEM, and a big audio/DVD system.

3,796 Posts
Allan"Defiant7M"Sterling said:
Gimmick or Usable Mod?
If you have to ask....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Chrisco said:
Actually, the capacitor would be fully charged upon startup of the engine. That being the case, it would only need to be charged as fast as it discharges and only with as much amperage as being discharged. If the capacitor was made to hold more than it needed to discharge per spark, and could maintain a steady charge, it might be possible. Otherwise how would caps in stereo systems be beneficial?Albeit, stereo systems don't hit max constantly, but nevertheless.

Anyway, wouldn't using something like this be just another way of upgrading your ignition system?? More voltage/amperage = greater spark. Pretty much makes this obsolete at that price.
Ya.. I guess if you use a big enough capacitor... same goes with a cap for a stereo. Actually, I didn't think about this but a capacitor on your stereo keeps a heavy load off the charging system at once. You know like instead of your headlights dimming everytime your are bumping mad bass yo! All in all though I think in a hard 4th gear pull the capacitors would become obsolete. Not really worth the money to me.

Of course I DID get a C in Electrical systems class. lol

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
If you want better efficency out of your spark plugs, spend $2 a plug and have them cryro treated. It raises the efficency from 75%-85% to 85%-95%. (This is what came from a friend that studied cryro and other types of treatments in a class at MMI in Arizona)

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
supraboy1 said:

MHG is OEM now, IIRC, all Toyotas have MHGs now.,....

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
jz_killa_t68 said:
If you want better efficency out of your spark plugs, spend $2 a plug and have them cryro treated. It raises the efficency from 75%-85% to 85%-95%. (This is what came from a friend that studied cryro and other types of treatments in a class at MMI in Arizona)
omg... this makes TOTAL sense. i dont know why i didnt think about this before!!!!

the realignment of the crystal matrix in the metal conductors places the molecules closer together and reduce the resistance of electron flow!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts