Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since SF has a pretty diverse readership, I thought this thread could work.

I'm 30, live in a big city and meet mostly grad school educated girls. They are usually +- 3 years from my age. Many are in health care (not surprising as that is a big industry in Philly) or law. Some are in other industries, but most have upper middle class jobs.

Also I travel a lot and talk to 100s of people when I'm on the road with work. Most of the women I run into are usually my age or older. Very few are younger. I work in the auto aftermarket...and it seems everyone I talk to has a close friend that has been killed or maimed on a bike. That kinda makes sense given the extreme nature of my industry....many of my peers are thrill seekers or just motorheads.

What do most of these girls/women have in common? A fear of bikes. Its weird....really weird. Sure, you meet the occassional girl who jumps on the novelty as soon as you mention the bike (Ducati, Harley, whatever) and they think you are cooler for having said bike...but they are quite rare IMO.

From reading these forums, it seems like teen/early 20 girls are really into bikes...primarily sport bikes. I have only dated 2 girls who like to ride...the others are afraid, or just not into bikes.cars to even care.

What have you seen?

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
now that you say that, i guess your right?
most do act this way towards the 2 wheels in general i think?

but then on the other hand there are the few who ride there own bikes

i just recently saw a girl riding her own bike a big as cruiser, and said to the wife wow thats a girl?
she said she thinks it hot when a girl is riding her own bike no matter what style!
and i have to agree!!!
but then in the same sentence i said do you want to ride your own bike?
she wanted nothing to do with that!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think 99% of them will base their opinion on there own experiences. If they have rode or ridden and had a good experience then they will enjoy it, if they have never ridden but know people that have ridden and had bad experiences they will not be keen on riding. It just boils down to their personality and experience with bikes.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I know a girl who thinks she can handle say a gsx-r......... Really pisses me off because she honestly has no idea, sure she can drive a manual car, thats not even in the same catogory as an R bike...

She actually considering owning one, fast way for her to get hurt as far as I am concerned. I could see if she started slow on a small bike and worked her way up.

Jumping on a 10 second 2 wheeled machine for the first time and think you know what you are doing.. please.

Personally I think a bunch of girls like the idea of a bike as a "cool" or "badgirl" image since its dangerous, they like to almost gloat/brag about how they have gone this fast, and this bike and blah blah.. gets old.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know of about 3 or 4 women that ride their own sport bikes. A lot of girls say they want to get a motorcycle, but only a few go through with it.

It seems like some girls want to get their own to either ride, because their boyfriends use going riding to get away from them. Or because they're sick of riding on back.

A girl rides this bike.. No, not the little girl. And in my friends case, it was because her x-bf would always be riding, and she couldnt go with. She prolly figured she would get to hang out with the guys more if she had a bike..

This bike is now for sale.. lol..

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
My girl likes to ride on the back on my busa but I rarely take her because I don't want to be responsible for anyone but myself.

Most girls I know want to pose on my bike (like for pics) for some reason but don't want to ride on the back.

·
Lurking...
885 Posts
I know a girl who thinks she can handle say a gsx-r......... Really pisses me off because she honestly has no idea, sure she can drive a manual car, thats not even in the same catogory as an R bike...

She actually considering owning one, fast way for her to get hurt as far as I am concerned. I could see if she started slow on a small bike and worked her way up.

Jumping on a 10 second 2 wheeled machine for the first time and think you know what you are doing.. please.

Personally I think a bunch of girls like the idea of a bike as a "cool" or "badgirl" image since its dangerous, they like to almost gloat/brag about how they have gone this fast, and this bike and blah blah.. gets old.
Tell the girl you know that riding a motorcycle is 100% different than driving manual! It is NOT as easy as it looks, and it takes practice. There are the few girls out there that learned to ride on 600+ bikes, but it's much safer to learn on a smaller cc. Hell, in the motorcycle safety courses, you ride 125's! (Gotta be a reason for that.) And people were even launching those into the grass! I learned on a 1972 Yamaha Enduro 250. Know where I taught myself to ride? In the grass. Doesn't hurt AS much falling in the dirt than falling on the pavement. At least with the enduro, I could practice on street and dirt.

It is definitely not a cake walk. I fell the first 2 times after getting on the bike. (And have bruises to prove it.) But it takes practice when you're first learning. Tell her not to be dumb about it. I was the same way back when I was 19/20...thinking I could handle riding a 600 no problem. I am GLAD I got my 250 as my starter bike. When I'm ready & more comfortable with riding, then I will move up to the 600cc bracket. But until then, I am having fun with my lil' bike. It's fast enough...handles great, and gets 130 miles to the gallon. Gold. :)

Anyway Mike, I know exactly what you're saying. I guess maybe the older chicks value their lives more? Or maybe don't find a thrill in riding a cycle. While the younger girls seem to like the types of guys on the motorcycles & want to be able to relate to them. Or the younger generation is just more open...I don't know!

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I RAIRLY see a girl riding, thier used to be one girl who rode a 1000rr at my old work, but she wasnt much of a "girl" rather manly.

And I laugh at the amount of people who say "oh yea im thinkin about getting a bike... probibly a 1000 to start, I dont want to get bored with it"

Right buddy...........

·
Registered
962 Posts
Tell the girl you know that riding a motorcycle is 100% different than driving manual! It is NOT as easy as it looks, and it takes practice. There are the few girls out there that learned to ride on 600+ bikes, but it's much safer to learn on a smaller cc. Hell, in the motorcycle safety courses, you ride 125's! (Gotta be a reason for that.) And people were even launching those into the grass! I learned on a 1972 Yamaha Enduro 250. Know where I taught myself to ride? In the grass. Doesn't hurt AS much falling in the dirt than falling on the pavement. At least with the enduro, I could practice on street and dirt.

It is definitely not a cake walk. I fell the first 2 times after getting on the bike. (And have bruises to prove it.) But it takes practice when you're first learning. Tell her not to be dumb about it. I was the same way back when I was 19/20...thinking I could handle riding a 600 no problem. I am GLAD I got my 250 as my starter bike. When I'm ready & more comfortable with riding, then I will move up to the 600cc bracket. But until then, I am having fun with my lil' bike. It's fast enough...handles great, and gets 130 miles to the gallon. Gold. :)

Anyway Mike, I know exactly what you're saying. I guess maybe the older chicks value their lives more? Or maybe don't find a thrill in riding a cycle. While the younger girls seem to like the types of guys on the motorcycles & want to be able to relate to them. Or the younger generation is just more open...I don't know!

Exactly what I do tell her, and she just shrugs it off, like she doesn't even want to hear it. Pisses me off like you wouldn't even believe. Sure if she started out small exactly like you said, but shes way over her head thinking she could handle a 600 plus R....

She says a lot and never goes through with everything, I shall see...

That gas mileage must be nice, too bad pizzas don't fit better on a bike! ha. I'd be set then as a broke ass pizza delievering college boy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Most women that I have met will not ride if they have had a bad experience, but if they are just scarred, they usually warm up to a ride. My wife had never been on bike before she met me, but was scarred. She trustes me eventually and we road...after a couple of rides, she is gungho and excited to ride. So as long as rookies are putting girls on the back of their bike and the wreckless squids don't hurt them, they will walk away with a good experience..no matter what bike they ride.

·
They giggle
1,935 Posts
I don't know why but there's a relation: All the girls I know that ride (which I don't ride with them because they like to ride recklessly) are the biggest sluts, man. :lol: I don't know a decent girl that rides. :rofl: Oh, and they all rock 'Busas. That's the fucking icon in the island. Everybody has one.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Up here in the DC area a lot more girls/women are getting into bikes. Around here a girl on the back is usually asked why they're not riding.

One really good thing is that I have noticed an increase on girls getting out on the track as well!

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
lotta girls/ women ride harleys around my area. I mean a TON. We counted one biker rally and it was a 6/1 guy/girl ratio. IMO that is incredible!

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
I don't know why but there's a relation: All the girls I know that ride (which I don't ride with them because they like to ride recklessly) are the biggest sluts, man. :lol: I don't know a decent girl that rides. :rofl: Oh, and they all rock 'Busas. That's the fucking icon in the island. Everybody has one.
Damn, Slutty busa riding chicks with a nice tan. I've gotta get my ass to PR!

·
They giggle
1,935 Posts
Get yo' ass here. I'll pick you up and take you to the hot spots, hahah.

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
Get yo' ass here. I'll pick you up and take you to the hot spots, hahah.
Do I gotta speak the espanol or can I just whip it out? :)

·
Hardtop Crew
6,384 Posts
def made my month/ when skinny blonde with tig olds on a zx/10 went by my work lmao
I almost cried

1 - 20 of 22 Posts