Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Give me some input on this welding...PIX!!(HUGE!!)

I've never welded anything and don't know as to what is considered good or bad when it comes to welding. Can you guys give me some feedback and tell me if they are good or bad? I'd like inputs from the guy who's know the difference between a good welding job and a shitty one. Thanks..

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
I'm no expert with welding but that doesnt look like a awesome job on the outside. I'd imagine a good weld would also be how it's welded on the surface as well as how it's welded internally.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,052 Posts
With aluminium, from what I've seen, the seam that looks like a "row of coins" is a good weld. The flange looks pretty good considering you're just trying this out :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
not bad if you did it your self. could be better of course, but looks like its good enough to perform

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should've been more specific. This wasn't done by me. I don't even have access to a welding machine. It was done at a shop a while ago when getting my 4 row installed. I saw the welding spots recently since I took all of my hardpipes off for polishing.

so I guess my question should've been. Is this a good welding job by a shop? thanks..hehe.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If they are holding you are ok, it does look like their speed varied as they went around the pipe or their feed rate was set to slow. Also looks like they tried to hide some ugly welds with a bunch of grinding. Penetration is decent enough though.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Welding can only really be tested with an X-ray. But from the looks of it, you don't have a bead full of pores.

Eric

But for what it's worth this is what welding should look like. Like a stack of dimes tipped over

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
PsyKotiC RydeR said:
I should've been more specific. This wasn't done by me.

so I guess my question should've been. Is this a good welding job by a shop? thanks..hehe.
I think a diff. shop might be able to do a better job to be honest.

The pic above me posted by Eric looks a ton better and looks like they know what they were doing/have done it quite a bit before.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If those welds were done by you (who has never welded) and the welds don't leak or break then I'd say not bad for a first-timer. Welding aluminum is not easy. I can arc,MIG,and TIG steel cleanly but still need practice with aluminum before I'd attempt to do something like a sheetmetal intake manifold or charge piping.

But for a shop to have done those welds,yuk. You can't see those welded sections when the pipes are installed right?

That one photo of a butt-weld from inside the piping looks horrible,looks almost like they burnt through the material or MIG welded it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
That is so bad that you should not be charged. further they should replace your materials. Aluminum should generally be tig welded. This looks like a first timer with a Mig, and no cocept of a proper weld. It may work, but that falls under the category of "temporary ghetto, get me by work" ;) The shop should have stated they lack the proper equipment to weld Al. Just becase they sell aluminum wire for MIGs doesn't mean it's a good idea. You need extremely focussed heat to weld Al, a MIG Cannot accomplish that. An expert at MIG could do a structurally sound job, but it would not be pretty, and then only on ~1/4" and up. GET YOUR MONEY BACK>..

·
Bad RSP supra
1,089 Posts
some of the welds look ok. some look like absolute dick. it depends on what the guy had to work with in the beginning. how well the pipes fit with eachother too, if you have big gaps it wont turn out as nice. plus aluminum is one of the hardest metals to weld. and yes i know what i am talkin about i did this shit for aliving for 3 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts