Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took my mom for a cruise in the new Supra today and she was asking me if it was possible to Make a Glass Targa tinted Black to go with the black supra. Lol this got me thinking has anyone ever done that or tried to do that, it think it would actually be a pretty cool idea if it could be done or has been?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
you would have to get the glass shaped that way but i think it would probably crack under stress. lexan might work but it might not be as strong and rigid as metal.

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
AZSUPRATT said:
Took my mom for a cruise in the new Supra today and she was asking me if it was possible to Make a Glass Targa tinted Black to go with the black supra. Lol this got me thinking has anyone ever done that or tried to do that, it think it would actually be a pretty cool idea if it could be done or has been?
that's so tight takin ur mom in ur sup! My mom hates riding in my supra, she complains bout the exhaust bein loud and smelly! :rofl:
but hey ur mom is pretty clever to be thinkin bout a glass targa!
+1 for ur mom!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol my mom loves the Supra Her fav car she is gonna buy one when she gets rid of my other siblings lol she always thinking up crazy stuff for the supra i havnt heard of....

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
It would look like an oversized moonroof. You couldn't get the color of the glass or lexan to match the paint in all shades of light and at all angles.

·
Registered
480 Posts
yeah but dont they have a bar in the middle of the roof?

and if you lift the car from both ends im sure the glass will crack.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
vetts don't have a t-top, its a targa top like supras. now you got me thinking, maybe it will work but i still don't see how you can get the glass to not crack. when you can hear the targa top creek when your car flexes, the glass won't flex, it will just shatter.

·
Registered
934 Posts
yeah i would think this isnt a good idea. just removing the targa, u get noticable lose in stiffness. that tells me glass will shatter if stressed over a period of time.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
you can do it if you have a back bone frame and then place the glass in the middle i would think.

Not a bad idea ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
FerrariFr34k said:
Corvettes Have the glass targa along with their color targa..C5 coupes<<
Actually I believe they use plastic. And the thing gets stress fractures all through it over time.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm imma contact my friends shop and ask them about this see if the plastic/plexiglas with a Backbone frame would work and see how much that would be. It would be different and i love driving with the roof off but hate takin it off. See what it looks like and costs...

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
here is a pic of my mom's vette.

This is the only top down view I have of the car (had to climb a tree to get it :p ) and the reflections don't let you see in but it is a plastic targa top - not t-tops (she also has a seperatel color keyed top as well). Outside (in person) it lookes tinted gray. From the inside looking out it has sort of a terquoise tint to it.

Never seen it on a supra before but if your car is black, you could limo tint the roof. It shouldn't be illegal as it is not required for visibility. right?

Might look nice!

*edit: this pic was taken a while back. No wheels or lights on my car yet. (no mods either! smic FTL! :p ). What a difference looking back! I had doubts during the purchaseing phases but damn I don't regret a thing looking @ this old pic now! ...except the wheels are a flippin bitch to cleen and keep cleen!

·
genius wannabe
49 Posts
My parents had an older corvette (84 or 85 I believe) and I can tell you that the roof on that was glass. I had removed it just before a drive and didn't expect it to be so heavy (I was 12 at the time) and ended up dropping it......yep was definitely glass.

I would have to agree with MyKarIsVicious in the idea of having a back bone frame to relieve any extra stress that would be applied to the glass roof.

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
The C6 has a trasnparent roof but I'm not sure if its glass tho.

The Porsche 911 Targa has a glass targa.........but then again its not really a real targa topped car but a half-assed convertiable.

·
Registered
885 Posts
MyKarIsVicious said:
you can do it if you have a back bone frame and then place the glass in the middle i would think.

Not a bad idea ;)

yes. just think about the cars that have removable glass roofs, like an mr2 t-top

glass targa might flex or crack when angling up or down driveways

·
Registered
906 Posts
i think that the plexi of lexan roof like the vette would be stong enough. the c4 corvette had one and wasn't designed to in the first place. the enineers were told at the end by the marketing group that they had to have a targa top. all they basically did was autocad a targ instead of a soild roof. the roof has held up pretty well upuntil now. plus the stresses that the roof takes arent the type that would snap it. its like takeing a flat piece of metal and bending it and then turning that piece so that its vertical and trying to bend it horizontally. i get the feeling someone is going to be making this top soon but dont count on it being cheap.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts