Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using this tranny. It's used by Turbo GN guys. Much smaller than the Th400/4l80e tranny , with the same bell housing. Pus it has O/D.
Should be strong enough to handle my T78 w/fuel.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I think the BIG GN guys got to the TH400's too dont they?

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
That tranny is pretty weak.

I don't think it will handle a T78.

I have a lot of buddys that own GN's and pretty much all of the fast GN guys switch to a TH400.

G

·
Bell housing bolt pattern for the 200r is BOP (buick,olds,pontiac) not chevy. ( I think chevy got the 700r) Probably not that big of deal if you have to get an adapter to mate up anyway.
They make a bunch of hard parts for that trans, and if you have to have OD for the street its a good trans. There are a couple of high 9 sec gn's with the 200r in them. Nowhere near as bullet proof as the TH400. Check out turbobuick.com, they have a transmission forum (alot of 200r talk) that might help answer some of your questions.

Mike B

·
My boss set me on fire!?!
561 Posts
I have been considering this trans for a while. You can easially get them built to handle up to 700hp. Here are the issues..

1. Dowls match up to chevy pattern. Top bolts dont exactly match up, but easy fix.
2. Can not take a lot of RPM. If you have a built head with raised rev limiter and are slinging 9000rpm might not be the trans for you.
3. One great things is that all 4 gear ratios are within .1 of the Supra trans.
4. From what I understand doing an adapter plate to the pump like the trubo 400 is real hard if not impossable.
5. Shifts Via a TV cable, so you would have to make a bracket to mount that to the Throttle linkage.

You are correct that the 800+hp 8 sec GN's are running Turbo 400 or glides. At that level do you need overdrive? And they get to use a formula that is proven for that much HP.

I am about to get a core 200-4R and really look into what would be involved.

Danny

·
Registered
382 Posts
Having owned two GN's I can tell you from experience those trannys (200-R4) are really tough, just have to get them built up. Getting them done runs about half of what we pay for our Supras trannys. The code or type you need to locate are the "BRF" trannys, as not all 200-R4's are the same, the gearing in the GN trannys are different than regular 200 trannys.If you need more info go to TURBOBUICKS.COM and/or TURBOBUICK.COM, lots of great ideas that we can even use for our cars.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Searched on Buick.com
PROs of 200R4
Can be reliable for the right amout of money
Overdrive and Lock up available
Good low 1st gear to help spool up the turbo
Automatic shifts

Cons of 200R4
Breakage (Always a chance)
Expensive parts (Drums, input shafts, clutches, bands, transbrakes)
Hard to find competent builders
Rebuilds at least yearly on high HP cars
Expensive convertors

Still not sure how much power they can take if built right.

·
Toyota Powertrain Guru
618 Posts
Funny I just discussed this with my friend who was Art Carr's #1 guy back in the day and he said they aren't that strong pretty much what Larry's guy said. Not enough of an improvement for the effort. Not certain to be reliable enough.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had mine built with EVERYTHING including converter for $2100 this was back in the mid 90's car ran 10:90's- 11:10's for over 3 years no problems what so ever. There are guys running 9's with 200's, BUT, they do have thier limits.

Was definitely the weakest link on the Grand Nationals, a car that we should all give props to, IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts