Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting rejected by 2 different English schools in Japan (GABA and AEON) for reasons beyond my comprehension, I finally got an acceptance at a school called peppy kids club.

I haven't worked for them yet so I don't know what's it's like first-hand, but from the reviews I read people really enjoy the work.

Basically I teach English classes to kids ranging from 3-12, 20 hours a week ONLY, and I get paid 250,000 yen, which is about 2500 bucks US a month. So, really good hours, and they don't care if you work other jobs while you're employed by them either. The hours range from 4-9 pm monday-friday (meaning you work within that time window) so no early mornings either!

They subsidize a bit of your rent as well :)

I don't know if anyone is looking to teach English in Japan, but if you are and you don't mind kids I highly recommend this over other schools.

For reference, AEON, one of the largest English schools in Japan only pays slightly better, and requires you to spend a good amount of time in the office, much of it you're not even getting paid for. The interviewer said be expected to work 40-50 hours a week. What a joke. And if you are caught giving private lessons, you're heading back to your home country.

I don't really want to be an English teacher that badly, but it's just a way to kill a year before I start my masters over there :D

Just thought I'd share that info, please continue with your everyday tasks.

-Aaron

·
In for teh nudez.
286 Posts
Good luck and have fun.

Have you done any investigating on what other languages are in demand in Japan currently? obviously Mandarin/Cantonese has to be the top ones because of trade, but what about spanish/german/italian?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Aaron congrats bro i haven't seen you online in a while. enjoy the trip we all know how much you love it out there

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bryan: Thanks man :) BTW I'm heading to LA in mid-April so I'll hit you up before I go~

Abel: You're absolutely right about Mandarin and Cantonese as well as Korean, but that's not to say that there aren't opportunities for speakers of other languages out there. I can't say with confidence that they are in high-demand, but I definitely think they are beneficial to have.

John: There's a pretty solid SF community over there now, you'd probably always have a place to crash lol.

Supraman: 1-year, with the option to extend if they see fit. I believe there is an office in California as well. Here's a contacts page. It looks like they're in LA too.

http://www.ittti.com/inquiries/index.html

zee: I'm on occasionally. Let me know when you're back in TO cause I'm not going anywhere for at least 4 or 5 months.

·
Banned, jk lol
3,871 Posts
Is $2500/month enough to get by in Japan? What is the living cost like? Regardless, nice find, hope it works out for you.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
aaron, we gotta catch up soon, where are you going to be residing this time?

·
Not now chief
1,227 Posts
I go to Japan about twice a year and spend about 3months a year there. I can speak Japanese well enough, and I stay near Yokosuka. Wanna hook me up? lol
I do not have any college though.

·
Not now chief
1,227 Posts
Is $2500/month enough to get by in Japan? What is the living cost like? Regardless, nice find, hope it works out for you.
Japan isnt that bad living cost wise. Its alot like the united states. Cars are wayyyy cheaper there but it cost $4,000 to get a license. You could get a nice r32 gtr or soarer for around $2,000. Supra turbos go for about $4,000.

·
1,793 Posts
Going to Osaka again or are you going to change it up? Do you get to choose or do they stick you where you're needed? I went to Nagasaki yesterday and must say it's a really cool city. So much history there, too (more than just the bomb). I've heard several others say that Fukuoka is their favorite city in Japan, too. Kyushu rocks, so far. Something to think aboot.

Oh, and I disagree with the cost of living being similar to stateside. Used cars are cheap, but there's hundreds and hundreds of dollars to be spent on registration, taxes, and the various insurances that is a royal PITA. Gas is about 2.5x more expensive. Rent is ridiculous in all but the smallest of towns and driving down the highway can cost an arm and a leg. There are also many other items that I have shipped from the US to here because they are just ridiculously more expensive here. The yen rate is hell right now if you have dollars, too. Actually might be a good time to make yen and convert to USD.

·
Not now chief
1,227 Posts
Going to Osaka again or are you going to change it up? Do you get to choose or do they stick you where you're needed? I went to Nagasaki yesterday and must say it's a really cool city. So much history there, too (more than just the bomb). I've heard several others say that Fukuoka is their favorite city in Japan, too. Kyushu rocks, so far. Something to think aboot.

Oh, and I disagree with the cost of living being similar to stateside. Used cars are cheap, but there's hundreds and hundreds of dollars to be spent on registration, taxes, and the various insurances that is a royal PITA. Gas is about 2.5x more expensive. Rent is ridiculous in all but the smallest of towns and driving down the highway can cost an arm and a leg. There are also many other items that I have shipped from the US to here because they are just ridiculously more expensive here. The yen rate is hell right now if you have dollars, too. Actually might be a good time to make yen and convert to USD.

Yeah, tolls are like $125 from Zushi to Narita.

Osaka is so nice! Esp the girls. lol:cool:

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
Congrats, my friend just got his contract to teach english in North Korea, left this week for a year. Definitely not Japan.

·
Not now chief
1,227 Posts
post up some pics of the hawt ass over there
Me and some nice girl I met there. She wanted to suck my penis.

Some random pics of Shibuya...and yes, tokyo drift was filmed in this intersection.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts