Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i am working on my car right now. i thought i broke the bolts free last week. i heated them up and loosend them. today i am putting on my exhaust and dp, and when i went to take the bolt off the nuts did not seperate from the bolt.
the whole nut came off too.

how big of a problem is this. can i just order a new bolts for the turbo manifold or did i just screw it up?.
I already have new nuts but i didnt think the bolt would come off too.

thanks
matt

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Did you break them off, or just unscrew the stud?

Jason

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the link
i have the two gaskets.
would i be safe just buying bolts and using the toyota nuts.

I gues i will have to drill out the one. any ideas on how to do this and is it common.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
I got rid of the Toyota nuts, and got stainless steel nuts with lockwashers.

Cheers
Rich B.

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so nuts and bolts from homedepot are okay or should i buy that set from mvp.

also anyone have two drill. it is the lowest one out of the three. i am going to continue
and see if i can get the stock pipe off. from there i will be able to play with the bolt a little more

i'll let you know any advice will help

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Those are studs you are dealing with, not bolts. I hate those lock nuts toyota uses. Get new studs for the two that came out if the threads are ok. You will have to drill out the broken one. I wouldn't try to retap it. Just drill out and use a stainless bolt and nut instead of a stud. Stainless from home depot, lowes or hardware store is fine. I usually replace hardware with stainless when I'm working on things. Will save headaches later since the stainless won't rust like the factory stuff. And I usually put never sieze on difficult bolts like exhaust. Stainless lock washers would be a good idea too.

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the bolts i got.
10 mm 1.25thread. thread fits but going into the turbo man. it is not threaded all the way. should it just go until it locks and tork it that way

or

should i go 8mm and do a bolt and nut straight threw.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hard to say without seeing it, but with the problems you have I would probably opt to just put a bolt all the way through.

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I winded up going with a 10 mm 1.25 thread 25mmlong bolt. fit perfect. with a lock washer
and i torqued it no problem.

hopefully no more will come

matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts