Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after owning my Supra for 10 years I decided it was about time to go single. I've pushed the stock twins about as far as they will go and have reached a wall with them, so time to move on to bigger and better things.

I've decided to go with SP's new F1 manifold with a kit form them as well with a PTE6265 turbo. I'm having the manifold build to accommodate a quick spool valve, but will be running a spacer in its place for now to get a feel for the spool without it. I may buy one later so I will have a good comparison if I do.

While I'm waiting for the manifolds to be built and for the snow to start melting, I decided to start getting the car ready.

I will update the list below as I go, but this is what I'm doing so far

Parts/Mods:

-ProEFI 128 System, w/ 52mm CAN gauge
-SP F1 manifold
-SP 4" Stainless Steel Downpipe/Midpipe Coated Silver
-Precision PW46 Wastegate
-SP 4" Polished Intake
-Precision 6265 CEA Billet, polished/coated silver 1.00A/R Divided housing
-SP Fuel system, 880cc injectors, dual Walbro pumps
-Fluidyne Radiator
-Titan Billet radiator brackets
-Titan Polished Radiator Plate
-PHR Drop-down "4-row style" Intercooler pipe
-AEM Methanol Injection Monitor System
-Royal Purple Syncromax tranny fluid
-Red Line Heavy Shockproof for the rear diff
*Relocated ABS Relay box
*Relocated Resistor Box/Igniter

Mods already on the car that are staying:
-Apexi GT-Spec Exhaust
-Greddy 3-Row Intercooler
-HKS RS Coilovers
-HKS SSQV BOV
-Apexi EL Boost Gauge
-HPF Bronze 6-Puck Clutch Disk, Sound Bend Pressure plate, RPS lightweight Flywheel
-Adjustable Cam Gears
-BoostLogic Crank Pulley
-Line Lock Kit
-Braided Stainless Brake Lines
-Hawk HPS Brake Pads
-Meth injection system

First a "before" picture of the twins:

Next I started pulling on parts to get ready to remove the twins:

I followed this guide http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?573456-Stock-Twin-Removal-How-To and found it very helpful. However I was unable to get the "bitch nut" off so I just went ahead and unbolted the manifold from the head and removed the whole turbo system as one piece.

And all of the parts I removed:

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
Congrats dude it will seem like a new car!!!!

Are you going to be on stock fuel? Also what about engine management?

Bob

·
2JZ S13
2,204 Posts
Should be a great setup, i love my 6265.
i agree with Bob's questions.

·
Boost Junkie
12,385 Posts
Congrats. That should be a killer set up. I have a GT4088 now, but may look at the 6265 or 6765 too. Looking forward to your results.

Steve

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
I'm sure I will. I kept telling myself I would go single when I blew my stock twins, damn things took 22psi runs for years and were still going strong, so I just had to go for it.
It's good to read that a long-time stock twin guy like yourself is making the leap. I think you'll love the 6265.

(I had the same thoughts of going single when my stockers finally went, I pushed them to 21~22 psi for nearly 7 years, but they never failed. When they finally came off the car back in '06 they looked perfect, no oil seal issues, no shaft play.)

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
That's because you're such a nice guy Chip...your stock twins wouldn't even think to let you down. ;)

Josh, you're going to have so much fun with your new setup. Enjoy every moment! :)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I had the day off of work today so I spent a bit of time in the garage.

First I wanted to replace the heater hoses. Using this guide http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?473818-hose-part-numbers-for-single-conversion I was able to find both hoses at my local Autozone.

Before:

Hoses Used:

After:

I had to go out and get some bent pliers to get the clamp off between the valve covers. Also for anyone else doing this be careful with the nipples that exit the heater core, they are very soft, I actually crushed one slightly trying to get the hose off it. Luckily I was able to reshape without any issue.

I also wanted to clean the head below the valve covers. I used Simple Green and a toothbrush to get it clean.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Josh, the one thing I wish I did when I went single was weld up those 3 unused coolant nipples on the pipe that wraps around the block. I had put a rubber cap on it like you are doing now, but its one of those things that I think about from time-to-time. I had one cap rip before, luckily it was on the upper coolant neck (That was before I got it welded shut), but it always makes me think about those harder to reach ones.

So if you can, I would suggest getting those welded shut for peace of mind.

·
I am The Stig.
612 Posts
subscribing because hopefully ill be doing the same thing this summer :) this is going to be one bad ass set up, I need to get in touch with the gents over at SP and see what we can work out...

what size a/r housing you going to be running? and journall or dbb?

-Kyle

1 - 20 of 285 Posts