Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ok,

Finally decided enough is enough, my days of BPU are over. I need a single and I was hoping for some advice.

My goal is to get 470-500rwhp with the stock fuel system. Plus I need a strong and quick spooling turbo that will give me good street driving power. So I was thinking of the Garrett 60-1 or the Turbonetics T61 both with .58 a/r's.

What do you guys think, I am on a tight budget so which one should I go for since I don't want too much power. I plan on running 1.0 bar mostly, because pump gas is crap and hope to run 1.3-1.4 bar occasionally with race gas. And with these settings I need a turbo that will work well with my stock fuel system. So I'd like to hear some suggestions for good Turbos.

Also if anyone is selling either a T61 .58 or a Garrett 60-1 with the manifold, oil feed lines and external wastegate etc let me know I would like to buy a used complete kit rather than hunt around and put together something new. So anyone who's trying to go for bigger turbo's and are looking for a buyer for your existing kit plz let me know, I am looking for something good.

thanks.

:rolleyes:

·
resident smart ass
486 Posts
Have yo uchecked out the budget kit by SP. PM dakadan on here and he will tell you its a very nice set up for relitively cheep.

You didnt say your budget .. I would assume you expect to pay around 3K with labor and parts.. going to 4K if you nees some electronics and what not.

The trick is.. set a limit on your spending. BEFORE you walk in the door. Then tell them what you want and heres what you got to spend. Dont do the .. oh its only 500 here and another 500 there. youll be at 7K before you it.. or 40K in my case. hmm.. how did that happen?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Boost logic kit. $3500 ( may be less with a 61), comes with choice of turbo and it is COMPLETE.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would also consider the Induction Motorsports Kit. www.inductionmotorsports.com. It's a complete kit for $3000. It's 500 more than the budget kit, but comes with an external wastegate and a cast manifold that will support well into the 600'srwhp.
If you do some searching on the sp budget kit, and boost logic kit you should find a plethora(El Guapo!!) of information, but perhaps not a plethora of pinatas. ;)
Tony

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Do a fuel system. In the end you'll regret it if you don't. An overboost and you're looking at a great deal more than what it would've cost you...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Chamilla,

I think most of these people are forgetting you have a j-spec fuel system with 440cc injectors - you will be dangerously pushing your luck making 470-500rwhp with a stock fuel system on your car. Don't try to cut corners, you can easily wind up regretting it.

Wait until you can do the whole monty.

-m

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi marcus,

thanks for the heads up, but I have changed my injectors to the 550cc US Spec a few months ago. So my fuel system is now the same as any US Spec car or European car :)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Still not enough....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what's not enough??

The Jap Spec fuel pump, fuel pressuer and the rail are all Identical to the US Spec cars, so what's not enough?

Am I missing something here. They way I see now I have the same fuel system as the stock US Spec Turbo car.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
He is saying that even the stock US spec fuel system isn't good enough. If you don't get a fuel system I would at least get methanol injection. I tried running my 67GTQ on stock fuel... it didn't work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VeilsideTT said:
He is saying that even the stock US spec fuel system isn't good enough. If you don't get a fuel system I would at least get methanol injection. I tried running my 67GTQ on stock fuel... it didn't work.
it works as long as you control your boost levels. eventually you can upgrade to larger injectors, but you can do it in stages.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
HomeRocks said:
I would also consider the Induction Motorsports Kit. www.inductionmotorsports.com. It's a complete kit for $3000. It's 500 more than the budget kit, but comes with an external wastegate and a cast manifold that will support well into the 600'srwhp.
If you do some searching on the sp budget kit, and boost logic kit you should find a plethora(El Guapo!!) of information, but perhaps not a plethora of pinatas. ;)
Tony
Tony has anybody seen pictures of the IM turbo kit installed on a Supra yet or are we just going to have to keep begging, or maybe there really isn't a kit and you all are trying to get our hopes up...haha...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an SP58GT budget kit and absolutely love it!! boost comes on around 3k and hits really hard by 4k - then its a freakin rocket... and thats on low boost. I cant (dont want to) turn the boost up until i install the Fuel Dampner Bypass and EGR mods. I can only imagine how my car will feel with the boost up. The kit was fairly simple to install, and the support you get from SP is unmatched. Larry really helped me out on the phone through the whole thing. If you have plans on upgrading your turbo in the future, id buy the non-budget SP kit as it has more options for upgrade. You wont be limited by the internal wastegate. Ive also heard that the SS manifolds sound wicked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts