Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im going to be collecting parts for my single turbo build soon, and I am the kind of guy that believes tuning is the most important part of any build. Cost of tuning and distance isnt really a big factor for me, whats important is that I get the best tune possible. Im only looking for 600whp, but I want reliability, longevity, and power, in the best mix possible.

I know the big guys like Boost Logic, Sound performance, Titan, are all way too far away from us. Is there any that are as reputable as them in New England that are experienced with supras and 2JZ's in particular?

also FYI I have not picked an EMS system yet. Ill most likely choose the system that the tuner I choose reccomends, so im not limited as to which guys are best at which products.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
"reliability, longevity, and power, in the best mix possible."
sounds like Sean Ivey is your man. hes in NJ
he loves HKS VPro but will tune anything

·
Registered
546 Posts
My friend had his supra tuned by a guy named alex who live in nh. My friend has aem and I have heard that alex is a tuning pro around the area. Not sure what systems he knows how to tune but when I eventually need a tune on my car he is the one who I am going to contact. He also tuned my friends mr2 whic also runs aem . I don't have his contact info but he is a member on this forum. If I recall correctly he started a thread in the build section in which he was seam welding his car.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My friend had his supra tuned by a guy named alex who live in nh. My friend has aem and I have heard that alex is a tuning pro around the area. Not sure what systems he knows how to tune but when I eventually need a tune on my car he is the one who I am going to contact. He also tuned my friends mr2 whic also runs aem . I don't have his contact info but he is a member on this forum. If I recall correctly he started a thread in the build section in which he was seam welding his car.
His Username is OVRBST he has tuned a few friends Supras all running AEM v1s.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
If you dont mind flying someone in then spend the money once and have Alpha do it. His reputation speaks for itself, I've used many tuners over the years including a few in the Northeast and my top pick is Alpha hands down.

·
Took 4 years, got it
836 Posts
Tim Alex just did a friends mr2 a few week back as well. He is one of the names that you hear alot in the remote area. Otherwise Ivey is HUGE in the Evo/supra world but a bit of a drive in comparison

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already know about Alex. He is on the list of choices, but AEM is quite expensive and I might go with something a bit more conservative. Ive also heard of Sean Ivey, and based on his reputation he is one of the top guys on my list. I havnt heard anythign about Alpha though. Im nto sure if I would be willing to pay travel expenses, plus paying him for his time, plus renting a dyno though, that seems a bit excessive for such a conservative build.

How do I contact Sean Ivey? Does he have a shop or is he just one of those freelance tuners?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tim Alex just did a friends mr2 a few week back as well. He is one of the names that you hear alot in the remote area. Otherwise Ivey is HUGE in the Evo/supra world but a bit of a drive in comparison
To be honest, no offense to Alex I know he has a great reputation around here, but I like having the huge name behind the tune, just for bragging rights, and resale value. I can drive the car single'd on a stock tune as long as I keep off the gas, so Im not worried about a 3-4 hour drive to get tuned. I love road trips anyways :p

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
To be honest, no offense to Alex I know he has a great reputation around here, but I like having the huge name behind the tune, just for bragging rights, and resale value. I can drive the car single'd on a stock tune as long as I keep off the gas, so Im not worried about a 3-4 hour drive to get tuned. I love road trips anyways :p
http://www.iveytune.com/

here ya go

·
Took 4 years, got it
836 Posts
Iveytune.com. He is very very well known. Tim if it were me I'd buck up and spring for the HKS vpro. Nothing but raving about the stock like drivability from them. Of course this is not my car anymore so take your own approach. If the HKS is in reach I would consider it though

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like a great place. Its $2,800 for the HKS Fcon installed and tuned. Or 750+ dyno time to tune an AEM EMS. So im looking at $2,500-$3,000 for tuning no matter which route I use. What other tuning options are there for full EMS? Motec is too expensive lol, but what about ProEFI, i dont know much about that system.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I emailed Ivey about it, Im also gonna talk to Alex. Might just be less of a headache to have him do it since its much closer.

·
Took 4 years, got it
836 Posts
Alex has very fair prices IMO. You can't go wrong with either Ivey or Alex. Ivey is more well known on a national level. Locally everyone I know get Alex to tune there cars. And there are
Some very high hp 2jz cars in NH and Ma ;)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just PM'd him.

I liek to support the local scene too. We shall see! Just gonna wait to hear back from both of them.

When are you gonna come and see the car? It looks good now with the fresh paint ^_^

1 - 20 of 21 Posts