Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about piecing a Single kit together piece by piece. Is it easier to buy a kit or should I by it piece by piece? What do you guys think is cheaper? I'm looking for something that will be in the mid 500's on pump gas and cams. But have the ability to push 650+ on race gas. I'm thinking about a ball bearing 67 or something in the 72 range.

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Don't piece by piece. I did that b/c I thought my 2nd turbo had blown and needed pieces in a hurry so I pieced and now I'm redoing my entire setup. There's a reason why piecing things is cheaper. Just get one of the kits (SP kit for example). It'll save you a lot of headache in the end and plus all that stuff is backed up by the company and what not. I've got an SP61GT and I'm guessing it'll do around 500 rwhp on race fuel and boost around 20-21psi. You could prolly reach the 500 mark on pump gass w/ the sp63 kit. I'm not too sure though. There are much more knowledgeable people on the forum. The sp61 is a great street turbo though....

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll go bigger than a 61. I'm going to get on mvp and check out what they've got.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Powerhouse Racing Stage 2 Turbo Kit - Dual Ball Bearing
Part # PHR Stg 2 Turbo DBB
This is the exact same kit as the above Stage 2 kit, except the Turbo is Dual Ball Bearing (DBB). DBB will decrease your amount of lag as well as cause less wear on your turbocharger, extending its life.

Everyone wants to know how much quicker you will spool with a DBB turbo. Unfortunately there is not a proven and scientific answer to this question. The best answer is that the larger the turbo the quicker it will spool with a DBB upgrade. A 60mm turbo will gain only 100 or so RPM's with a DBB upgrade. A 76mm turbo, however, will gain about 300 - 400 RPM's of spool with a DBB setup.

Your Price $5,895.00

I like these numbers :
On the PHR Stage 2 Turbo (GT62) you should expect boost response to be similar to stock twin turbo system running in twin mode with 4-5 PSI by 2,500 RPM and full boost by 4,200 RPM. This kit makes over 650 RWHP at only 28psi (and can be pushed harder) and offers a flat, broad torque range. By comparing publicly available PHR dynos you can see that PHR turbos do not "fall off" in the upper RPM range like most turbos do. This is the same system fitted to the PHR fleet of 10 and 11-second daily driven street Supras.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I have the boost logic 67mm (non BB Turbo) and I love it. The kit is very nicely put together and power output is great. I expect 500-550whp on 91octane and 650+ on race gas. Which is basically the numbers you are looking for.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
cody, good to hear another jax member is going single. let me know if you need any help or have any questions. im always willing to lend a helping hand as well. good luck!

btw, the phr kits are very nice kits, you cant go wrong with them... i just bought my oil pump from them and brad (braddman) has their stage 2+ (with 74mm upgrade) kit, very nice!

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
67mm is what it really sounds like you're looking for. You won't be pushing too hard on pump gas to get those numbers and 650+ on high boost should be attainable.

·
Registered
MKIV TT 6 Speed
1,488 Posts
Well to answer some of your questions, piece mealing might come out more expensive vs. buying a whole kit. If your looking for 650rwhp then yes you are looking in the right size turbo, a 68mm would be the smallest and maxed out to reach that goal I would suggest to go for a 70mm or a little bit bigger with a small exhaust housing nothing over .81 on that size turbo to reduce the lag factor maybe a .68 would be a good pick and would not choke under high flow for that power range. That is all depending on what boost you expect to run.

Make sure you get a turbo that is beyond your horse power goal to avoid any failure factors. You don’t want to base your turbo set up size on your ultimate goal, go a little bigger.

Regarding dual ball bearing turbo chargers, yes you would have a better spool and less lag depending on the size of the turbo. But every good thing has its faults a DBB is more prone to burning out bearings in a shorter time period. You can’t have everything, in one package there are your pros and con’s to this game.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
67mm is what it really sounds like you're looking for. You won't be pushing too hard on pump gas to get those numbers and 650+ on high boost should be attainable.
Yup I'd like to have high 500's or low 600's on pump gas with cams. Then be able to crank up the boost and add some race gas and be at that 650+ mark. I'm so excited just doing my research now.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cody, good to hear another jax member is going single. let me know if you need any help or have any questions. im always willing to lend a helping hand as well. good luck!

btw, the phr kits are very nice kits, you cant go wrong with them... i just bought my oil pump from them and brad (braddman) has their stage 2+ (with 74mm upgrade) kit, very nice!
Hey man you have the yellow supra right? What kind of numbers is it putting down? I'm trying to decide as well if I want to do the install or have stage 6 do it. It's going to have to go there for tuning. But any cash I can save doing it myself will be well worth it. I'm sure they will bill for at least 5 hours on a single conversion. Do you guys think I should go standalone? Or will a Map-ecu work or a s-afc work?

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What t61 is this and where did you get this kit. I'd love some more information. Is the 555whp with cams? How much boost?

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
no cams, 25psi quick tune. It was documented here in the dyno section, but search is down so I can't link you to it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
hi, 98mkiv.if you want to find your own old thread, just go under QUICK LINKS go to SUBSCRIBED THREADS you can find it if not too far back.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no cams, 25psi quick tune. It was documented here in the dyno section, but search is down so I can't link you to it.
Then this thing with cams could very easily put down 600 I'm very intrigued. Reading the information you sent me right now.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think 555whp on race gas is quite what I'm looking for. I'm shooting for 600 to the wheels on pump with cams.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
i actually have the 98 imperial jade mica thats been sitting across the street at warehouse motors for the last year, just waiting one my titan head to finish it, im droppin the shortblock in this week!

·
The Good Doctor
1,884 Posts
I don't think 555whp on race gas is quite what I'm looking for. I'm shooting for 600 to the wheels on pump with cams.
get 98mkiv's kit and just get a bigger turbo and your set...that is with the right upgrades that go along with a bigger turbo.

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
Take some great advice from someone who has spent a fortune in this shit... call Sound Performance and get the baddest street turbo available which would be the Swantko Special and build your kit from there. You will make 1000 HP and there will be no need to buy another turbo to make more power every year like the masses do. I've bought 6 turbos for this car since '96 and if I knew then what I know now I would do exactly what I told you to... Don't worry about those little turbos. Yea, they spool quickly but when it's time to put the hammer down there's nothing like the pull of a big turbo...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts