Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys- taking my supra na-t to the strip this weekend in Byron Il. looking for any advise / tips. my setup:

2.5 intake and intercooler / 3" DP and exhaust
stock ct26- around 12psi
megasquirt/ 50% race gas
245/50 street tires @28psi
6 puck sprung clutch
LSD w 4.30 gearing

Honestly I have somewhat of a hard time launching on the street, burnouts and wheel hop in 1st if I'm too aggressive launching above 4k rpm. is the track surface going to be an entirely different experience?

would love to see 13's but realize that is most likely a pipe dream since its my first time (and Im running a stock ct). the plan is to go hard as i'm bringing her there on a trailer and am not afraid of breaking anything :)

·
boost'en down 101
1,276 Posts
13's aren't out of the question. i ran consistent high 13's on similar mods without a standalone and race gas on street tires. id recommend 22psi in the tires and around 4k launch with a little clutch slip. just do a light burnout too nothing crazy cause it makes street tires slick. also shift fast. not crazy fast but don't shift slow. that can make or break your time. try not to hit the rev limiter cause it slows you down.

i had drag radials for up until this weekend and all i can say is they suck. the hoosier qtp's i got hook like crazy, are really stable on the top end, and don't shock load the trans, diff, and wheel hop the car to death lol. so if you decide to get tire's get those and don't look back. no joke you could launch of the rev limiter and prolly hit 12's they're where its at.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Don't do a burnout with street tires or you will get water in the grooves and defeat the whole purpose.

have you ever been on a dyno? you will want to shift right at you peak HP (refer to dyno graph) and not run it to redline if the HP starts to fall off at the higher RPMs

·
boost'en down 101
1,276 Posts
Don't do a burnout with street tires or you will get water in the grooves and defeat the whole purpose.

have you ever been on a dyno? you will want to shift right at you peak HP (refer to dyno graph) and not run it to redline if the HP starts to fall off at the higher RPMs
if you drive around the water then back into the burnout box but not the water you can clean the tires off and get a little heat in them. especially if its cold where you are.....ct26's fall on their face at 5500 from what i've experienced but on the launch in 1st its better to run it close to redline to get a better 60ft then shift lower rpm in the other gears. i've made 100's of passes on street tires and a bpu car i know a thing or two lol

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thanks guys, this is good info and tips. much appreciated.
I will be sure to post some youtube action & results

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
I drive around the water, and just do a little dry hop to clean the tires.
Street tires get greasy if you make hardly any smoke.

If you get wheel hop, just stop, go home, correct the condition before you break parts, like the subframe.
In fact, I wouldn't even go to the strip until I had solid, or poly subframe mounts, and heim, or poly bushings in the rest of the rear suspensions.

Practice your tree response (reaction time), with any of the many online practice programs.
When you get consistent there, compare your track reaction times to those. The difference is the car's reaction time.
Once you are consistent, and the car is consistent, you can anticipate the light better, and get much better launches.

If you notice ANYTHING wrong, back out of it, and don't make any more runs.
Why worry about a $25 entry fee, when it could cost you thousands in repair$$$$$.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I

Practice your tree response (reaction time), with any of the many online practice programs.
Great idea!! didn't event think of that. although my wife thinks im nuts sitting in my car visualizing / practicing (with the jegs tree app). I dropped down to 25 psi on the rear tires and did a little street testing.

https://youtu.be/6pOpZdX05q8

(and no the car is not RHD haha, not sure why my phone cam flips it around)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
14.45 with 2.39 - 60 foot time and .5 reaction time on 1st pass. Track is so busy I may only get 1 or 2 more passes....turned up boost a bit for this next run, soon as these Jr daggers finish I'm up

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Tried one run with a bit more boost and found the limits of my xtd stage 3 clutch, slipped bad @15 lbs and had to get out of it. ran a 15.2 that run, but smoked the ancient tbird next to me

last run :

13.79 / 101 mph
2.08 sixty foot
.278 reaction time

very happy with this run considering it was my 3rd run ever in my life, and feels decent for a stock ct26 turbo

my supra was the only import car I saw running today in Byron Il

1 - 9 of 9 Posts