Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my friend and I were suppose to put on my eibach springs and kyb gr2's on tonight but it started raining and his dad has a 69 maro which he parks in the garage and he said "ur not pulling that car out, its about to rain" So game was called on account of rain. Kragen was out of spring compressors to rent anyways so we wouldn't have been able to do it anyways. What I am wonder is what else will I need to replace or should I replace when doing my struts and springs, I have read some threads in the past where people said there were some things they fell apart when changing the suspension but now I can't find the threads. Thanks guys, really bummed out tonight wanted to get this dropped =/

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
when i did mine it was really easy, nothing fell apart. To get to the rear i took out all the rear interior to get to the bolts other than that its easy.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool I am gonna call all the kragens around and see if any of them have spring compressors for rent since the one right down the street didn't have any. I also remembered what someone said they had to replace cuz they fell apart it was their bump stops, hopefully mine hold up.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you didnt need a spring compressor, wanna walk me through how you did it, I thought for sure you needed spring compressor atleast according to the tsrm you do.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I replaced my bump stops when I did mine. A spring compressor is not necessary, but for saftey they are best. You can use an air ratchet and a stick along with a few tires to do it. And you actually do not need to remove the interior to do it, just the top/speaker covers. Than all you need to do is get an alignment after the new spings are on.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KLH2004a said:
I replaced my bump stops when I did mine. A spring compressor is not necessary, but for saftey they are best. You can use an air ratchet and a stick along with a few tires to do it. And you actually do not need to remove the interior to do it, just the top/speaker covers. Than all you need to do is get an alignment after the new spings are on.
Did you get your bump stops through toyota and happen to remember how much they ran you? Ya I planned on getting an alignment afterwards and I knew about popping off the top speaker covers, that air ratchet and stick with a few tires sounds a little too mcguyver for my style lol reminds me of half baked "I am gonna need an avacado a toilet paper roll and my snorkle" or something to that effect.

·
Registered
542 Posts
It really isnt that big of deal like some people make it out to be. But who knows, I guess some people dont have good luck when taking off springs. When I did mine I used a pair of vice grips to hold the shaft from spinning while i used a torque wrench to loosen the bolt while keeping my foot on it to make the spring shot where I wanted it to. The vice grips kind of doubled in purpose by actually holding the spring on the shock, keeping it from shooting off after I released the bolt on the top of the shock. Thats how I would recommend doing it, and since you dont need to worry about the old shocks you can feel free to mess them up with the vice grips. As far as putting new springs on new shocks, thats a sinch. If you have an air wrench you just keep hitting the bolt still it stops turning and ur done. Other tips would be to prob unbolt your washer resivour when trying to take off the upper controll arm bolt. I spent the longest time trying to get that bolt out and it turned out to make it a whole lot faster when I just un-bolted the resivour and moved it to the side so the bolt could come out freely. Also, while you have the air wrench out I would tighten all your ball joints and any other bolt that could use some tightening. Hope this helps :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts