Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have decided to dyno my car since I have like every mod you can do for a stock twin supra, and there is a new shop that just opened up 1.5 hours away. The dyno is a new Dynopack hub dyno, so if anyone has any tips for one of these please let me know.

I will have the car already tuned on 100 octane gas with my FJO, probably tuned to 11.5. The only thing I am going to do is make some adjustments with the cam gears for max power. My goal is to break 450rwhp, which is the current record for this particiular shop, made by a 300zx.

My mods are: AEM cam gears, pullies (minus the underdrive), VPC, S-AFC2, exhaust, intake, downpipe, BCC, FMIC (type s)).

What boost level should I run, and what should I start my cam gears at if I am going for max power for a BPU+++ car? (My current settings are at 0 intake and 0 exhaust).

What power levels should I expect? Upon searching, BPU+++ cars have been getting from 450 to 470.

Thanks

mav

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Run about 20 psi, you should be fine with 100 octane.

Cam gears, if I remember, you should run +1 intake, and -2 or -3 for the exhaust. That's what I've been seeing that produced the most power for BPU cars. With your mods, you should break the 450 rwhp barrier. Take a video of the whole thing!! Plus, some "street" in-car videos after, when you come back!! ;) Good luck!

-Olivier

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
Hey Mike! You should be close to your goal. You certainly have the right equipment, so its up to the tuning now. Too bad you are so far away from Xotic for our dyno day. Good luck with the pulls!

Andrew

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
mav7 said:
Olivier, you can check my car out here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=153595

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do any street driving because of the weather here in NY. I'll be trailering the car to the dyno.
But I have severial videos already I made I can try to get out to you :)

I'll keep you guys updated, going to the dyno this saturday.

mike
Eh man!

Yeah I've seen that thread before and downloaded the vid!! It was cool...very fast BPU car!!:D But you know, my thirst for MKIV videos is never over! ;) I would like more videos if you have some...we'll have to find a way to transfer the files. PM me and we'll set something up!

-Olivier

·
Spencer
823 Posts
Mike,

I went to that dyno place a few wks ago, with a bunch of subaru guys. Didnt take my car but it was fun to watch. They are alittle pricey, plus dyno packs are kinda lame compared to a real dynojet dyno. There is a place in Buffalo that only charges like 50 bucks and I did over 5 pulls. I like to see your numbers though, you should be 450+ rwhp

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, they are pricy. I tried to talk them down but they wouldn't do it... I decided not to go because my car wouldn't fit on the trailer I rented and it snowed really good Saturday. Unfortunately, I won't be able to dyno my car until after removing the stock twins. But I would say that its somewhere around 450rwhp.

Maybe I'll take a drive to Buffalo in the spring and dyno... $50 sounds good and all I would need to do is tune my cam gears.

mav

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting info. I never read this before, but I have seen people after doing single turbo upgrades keeping their stock cam gears. Has anyone dyno-proven this?

mike

·
Registered
807 Posts
I don't think assomometers count in this case...

by putting cam gears on a car you are degreeing them for WHERE you want to the power band to shift to. So if you wanted to road race, early tq/hp would be your goal, you might degree them specifically to bring up the low end, drag racing a 6 speed, you may want mid range, street racing in a really high stall auto? might want to shift the band to 6000+ It depends... if you just want peak power for numbers, go for it. I do not have any on my personal car....

Justin

·
Registered
461 Posts
"My goal is to break 450rwhp, which is the current record for this particiular shop, made by a 300zx. "

Do you know what was done to the Z? If it had upgraded Turbos, fuel, etc.? It would be cool (I know it is common) to beat an APU Z with a BPU'ed MK4 hp wise.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

BA

:)

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wasn't sure of the Z's mods. But I heard they can be pretty fast with stock turbos. I don't know too much about them though. I remember seeing one at the track running high 11s and claimed to have stock turbos still.

Unfortunately I never got a chance to dyno the car. We'll see how it does in the spring.

miike

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
Midnight Hour said:
Can you explain why they're useless on a single-turbo car, but add power to a stock twin car?
Everything I have read says they are pretty much useless on a single car. Can I explain why.. no? But ive never heard any great gain with them.

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I dyno my car I will tune the cam gears. Depending on the results, I will be either keeping them or selling them.

And of course, I'll post results here...

mike

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
interesting, how the cam gears dont work on single turbos.

-Brett

1 - 19 of 19 Posts