Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
200+mph
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i´m going to the drag racing track this weekend and i haven´t had the chance to buy drag radials.

I have a TT 6 speed Mkiv makes about 400+ rwhp

I don´t get any traction in first gear and very litle in second gear. So my question is will i gain much traction if a lower the pressure in the tires and what is the limit that i can´t go under in psi on street tires(there is 35 psi in them now ). They are Falken 275/35 ZR18. Does a burnout help when you are on street tires ?

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
SupraTT/Iceland said:
Ok i´m going to the drag racing track this weekend and i haven´t had the chance to buy drag radials.

I have a TT 6 speed Mkiv makes about 400+ rwhp

I don´t get any traction in first gear and very litle in second gear. So my question is will i gain much traction if a lower the pressure in the tires and what is the limit that i can´t go under in psi on street tires(there is 35 psi in them now ). They are Falken 275/35 ZR18. Does a burnout help when you are on street tires ?

Burnout on street tires...no..just gets them greasy
Lower tire pressure...no..street tires have harder side walls than dr's so lowering the pressure will actually hinder you.

Track should be prepped to hook better than the street with all the rubber and mounds of VHT they lay down. Only problem with traction you will have is on the launch. Depending on the tires, you should be able to cut a 1.9-2.0 60 ft on street tires.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Burn outs are no good for regular street tires... Just be careful how you launch it.. may take you a few times to get the good 60 foots down.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Lower tire pressure...no..street tires have harder side walls than dr's so lowering the pressure will actually hinder you.

Not true. Lowering the air pressure will give a larger footprint allowing for better straightline traction. Same reason they recommend you do this in the winter and soft off-road conditions..bigger footprint. I've always run my street tires at around 18-20 PSI at the track and it ALWAYS hooks better than if they were fully inflated...

·
Registered
257 Posts
I thought lower tire pressure would help but I wasnt sure... But make sure you dont let to much air out!. Leave enough to make it back to a gas station to get more air!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts