Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After thinking about all available options, I am considering just replacing the blown stock subwoofer, what 5 x 7 oval subs are available for direct fitment into the stock enclosure? Has anyone done this with satisfying outcomes?

Thanks,
Len

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
second this thread. I am looking to replace my stock sub speaker as well for a little extra sound. What do people suggest as being the best replacement?

Thanks Imagine for posting this question

·
Banned
338 Posts
i dont think there is any aftermarket 5x7 subs. it is a oem part made for dealerships, i think other cars like the maxiam, avalon etc. use them

·
Registered
442 Posts
I was in this same boat but i put a 6 1/2" bazooka. Sounds so much better.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
A couple companies make 6x9 subs. And a couple others make a 5.25" round sub. I suspect it would be simple to make an adapter plate and fit the 5.25" sub in there...

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
i did some searching and some companies make a 5x7 speaker. Does it make sense to upgrade to that speaker? I dont care if its a sub, my speakers are all shot and I need to replace them so i dont hear cracking anymore.

I spoke with someone who said that it wouldn't be worth it to replace the 5x7 speaker. I was wondering if people had and what their opinion was on the replacement.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Perhaps just mount a single 6.5" sub in the box? does not look like you would need to modify it that much.

·
Banned
1,984 Posts

THe Boston Acoustic is what I put in my car.
Barely fits in the stock box.

·
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

THe Boston Acoustic is what I put in my car.
Barely fits in the stock box.
Is this the 5 x 7? Were you able to just purchase one? Im only seeing them sold in pairs.

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
^^^^^does that fit in the stock sub box?? can you show us pics please or your install??

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
Unfortunately the car is in the shop, so no pics.
I bought 2 and sold the extra here on the forums.
It barely fits, with one side overlapping a tad, which some longer length screws held it in just fine.

·
Banned
338 Posts
if you replace the sub with a speaker you will have no low end bass. so what would be the point to that. you could just upgrade you door speaker and have it sound better. the point to to find a way to keep the sub?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
your factory "sub" is just a speaker, and a cheap crappy one at that. take the cover off and look at it :)

that 4" woofer in that speaker i am sure is much cleaner than the stocker.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I guess I got lost in the middle of the thread but, is it a speaker or a sub. Bottomline is that I want to replace it also and would like to leave the OEM fitment as unaltered as possible. The Boston one looks to be the best candidate so far. Any more info would be great.

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
i just picked up the panasonic 5x7" speaker. I will post pics and a write-up once I install it.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,096 Posts
your factory "sub" is just a speaker, and a cheap crappy one at that. take the cover off and look at it :)

that 4" woofer in that speaker i am sure is much cleaner than the stocker.
Agreed, I plan on using a Alpine type R 5x7 in the rear.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There is a depth isuue to deal withthere, If you make a plate you can get a deeper woofer in there.

The stock sub is a crappy design however itwas designed with characteristics of a subwoofer. By putting a MIDRANGE driver in there you are just forced to listen to limited frequencies. Let's say about 100Hz down to maybe 40Hz as most drivers will start distorting after lower frequencies.

You need to find a driver with a subwoofer characteristics.. You would be better off with a 5.25" sub from FOCAL and make an adapter plate to replace the stocker.

Nazar

Or buy a Magic Box with 2x6" or 3x6" subs.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
So has anyone got pics of this? Which product would be best suited for the job? I too want to keep the enclosure the least modified. We need pics OHRLY!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts