Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there is an '87 supra for sale near me, they are selling it for 3220 (2400 US) with 296 000 km (184 000 Miles).
what do you guys think should i get it? It would be my first car...but im afraid of all that mileage.

P.S they say its never been winter driven.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
^i agree my first turbo car was the supra n almost damn near killed myself.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Dorift
any rust?
turbo?

ask them about the headgasket, and used car package.

Get as much information as you can from them about the history.

Because at 296,000km it might be on its last leg.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
If it's turbo, and maintiance and HG is done, I'd say go for it, but be careful

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as they say, hasn't been winter driven, there was no rust i could see.... but i just walked around it. its a turbo, 5 speed.

TaSe- really? my dad took it for a drive and said it wasn't really that fast....i guess hes used to a Dinan 3 and audi S4 though lol.

the guy is willing to go down in price too.

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
i'd say no... only because with that many k's you'll be putting more $$$ into it, and if the turbo goes well, i think last time i checked that's about $1500. Then the HG, if it hasn't blown yet then people say it's either never going to or it's just about to. Depends on if you have some money to put into it and won't be broke if you spend money on your car. If you plan on treating it like a honda and never doing anything other than oil changes then it's going to last a few months and die. I'd spend more money on a MKIII if that's what you're looking for, you want a good car to start from. If $3000 is your price range then i'd suggest another car (don't quote me on this but apparently the old 300zx T are more reliable from a few friends experiences) but if you want a mkiii for sure then at least get a NA for that price.

That's my 2psi, hope that helps.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Well, if you know how to work on cars, don't mind working on cars, giving up any chance of having a girlfriend because all your money goes to your car... BUY IT!~!

=)\

WOOHOO! Post 400!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AH, i hate stupid dealers.......i hadn't looked at the car really just one quick walk around at night.....i got to the car today, went around the front, it wasn't turbo! the guy must have had 3 signs hilighted saying, TURBO!

piss's me off so my dad told the guy that the most well give him for it is 1,500 CA.

whats the performancne like on these na's anyways?

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
It all depends what u do to it. Stock shouldn't be THAT bad, mine wasn't when I first got it. NA's don't seem to get BHG's as much as the turbos, although they still get them. For NA's performance mods are quite expensive once u get past headers, exhaust, and intake. It's much cheaper to just go turbo or do a swap if u want speed, although they can be made to be fast. Dean Marcum had an NA that ran a 13.9 a long time ago, but that was with TONS of mods and money put into it (Complete block work I'm pretty sure, don't remember the details). NA's start to pull around 4000, and usually "fall off" around 5250. Turbos get their power around 3500 and fall off around 5500, so there is quite a difference in the powerband. NA's are good first cars, although if you're thinking of buying a supra, you better be very careful in the rain and since ur in Canada, the snow. BTW I paid $1400 for my 87 5spd NA Hardtop. Good luck with whatever u decide.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AGlobalThreat said:
It all depends what u do to it. Stock shouldn't be THAT bad, mine wasn't when I first got it. NA's don't seem to get BHG's as much as the turbos, although they still get them. For NA's performance mods are quite expensive once u get past headers, exhaust, and intake. It's much cheaper to just go turbo or do a swap if u want speed, although they can be made to be fast. Dean Marcum had an NA that ran a 13.9 a long time ago, but that was with TONS of mods and money put into it (Complete block work I'm pretty sure, don't remember the details). NA's start to pull around 4000, and usually "fall off" around 5250. Turbos get their power around 3500 and fall off around 5500, so there is quite a difference in the powerband. NA's are good first cars, although if you're thinking of buying a supra, you better be very careful in the rain and since ur in Canada, the snow. BTW I paid $1400 for my 87 5spd NA Hardtop. Good luck with whatever u decide.
thanks for all the great info, im probably gonna get it if the dealer lowers the price. it would be a great project car for sure.

:D i figure i better off then most :p . everyone else at my school is either drivng a civic or a tercel lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts