Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a bhg with a stock toyota headbolts and gasket. Im not going for boost over 12 if that. I just put the car on the road and drove it 50 miles. I plan on putting 500 or so more miles then changing the oil.

people have told me to torque to 72ft/lbs but my father is afraid of stripping the bolts or somthing worse.... risk factor?

bad? did i torque too low?
-should i retorque now up to 65 maybe?
-should i wait for 500 miles to retorque up to 65?
-should i just leave it as is?

im worried here... i don't want to go back and change this gasket again in 20k miles or so. You all have been very helpful.. i don't want to abuse this forum but ive been having problems finding answers to these questions in search.

thanks. :)

p.s. how do you get your picture in the left hand side...

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Torque it to 72 and you will be golden.

The 'picture' to the left is called the Avitar. You can change in your User CP.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why?

simply put why? what are you basing this 72 ft/lbs on? sure you can torque it but whats wrong with 57? do it now? wait?

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
You aren't going to strip those bolts. I've seen people put 95ft/lbs on the stockers. 57 is simply not enough torque, you will blow the HG guaranteed. If your dad is that scared of stripping the bolts then have him buy you some ARP's. Either way you need at least 70ft/lbs of torque or that HG will blow. I recommend 70-75.

The avatar you have to have a certain amount of posts before you can change, or at least that's how the rules used to be.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
why...well there are an assload of Supras with BHG's that had their headbolts torqued to 57 ft/lbs from the factory. Toyota screwed up, its not enough. You will have no problem with 72, most people use that figure with stock headbolts. I would just retorgue next time its convienient.

A friend of mine has run 72ft/lbs on stock reused headbolts and a composite with 14psi for over a year, and he had had no problems so far.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah i was in the same boat, The shop i get major work through said no do not retorque. so i had a test done for hydro carbons in the coolant which was not present. then that weekend followed the numerous faq's out there and replaced the bolts with ARP ones. i had the a new stock head gasket and stock factory specs. After having it done i place 10,000 kms on the car and everyday when i started the car i could hear a very slight waterfall sound. After retorqueing of the head, its been almost 3 weeks and i have not even heard the slightest water fall sound. I am a believer now myself. retorque or do it all again in the near future.
When i removed my stock bolts they where slightly stripped and some of the threads were missing. I replaced them with Arps because i don't want to risk any issues with the stocks ones.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just bought these freakin toyota bolts cause i was too cheap and could not wait for the new arp ones to come in. what your saying is that i should with the stock head bolts retorque the head bolts to what 65 then 72? would it be alright if i did this in about say 500-1000 miles if i lay off the boost?

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
The stock head bolts will work fine, especially if they are new. You are on the right track, you would probably be fine stepping them up in one go around, but 2 would also work. (FWIW, I did 5 steps when I torqued my ARP's to 85 ft/lbs). You should be fine if you want to wait (after all, people successfully retorque their stock 100k mile HG's).

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks again to everyone. :) im going to torque them in as soon as this snow clears and i can actually drive again ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts